Inkbound (Monster Train devs)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Monster Train was incredible. I think I liked it more than Slay the Spire.

curiosity-curious.gif

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Monster Train was incredible. I think I liked it more than Slay the Spire.

curiosity-curious.gif
The main thing I think Monster Train does better than Slay the Spire is game length, StS just feels too damn long these days.

• 1Truth!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Monster Train has more variety of heroes to choose from and a lot more synergy opportunities as well. There's only so many ways to play StS in comparison

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Normally I avoid EA like the plague, but Monster Train was so fuckin' good that I gave them my $20. Excited to try this later.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally got around to trying this out and it's quite fun, especially in co-op with buddies. Very much like other roguelikes but with a very funky overall style and lots of multiplayer fun

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I bought this a while back on sale and it was ok after beating a bunch of runs I didn't feel like the game gave me a ton of reasons to continue. The pixel hunting gameplay isn't very interesting and it seemed like all the harder fights ended up that way.

They seem to have a ton of DLC now as well?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My biggest problem is that the game was pretty shallow when I played. There weren't many "classes", not many bosses, etc. It's a great game and tons of fun co-op, but it needed a shitload of content. And fuck that if they're going to add said content one $10 DLC at a time.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They have 8 classes now and lots of unlocked 'stuff' that comes as you progress through stories and achievements and such. They do have paid DLC, but that is all cosmetic as near as I can tell. When I first tried the game right after it went to Early Access I was underwhelmed, but I've been playing it consistently for the last few days and am having a blast despite having only tried two classes.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to playing this, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I've only played the hammer dude once, and the Moss guy a couple times, and it felt like I was wrecking shit way more with the Moss guy. But just like any of these games I suppose it comes down to a lot of luck and some knowledge of the best things to pick. Well, and playing over and over to unlock better shit.

Only thing I didn't really care for is the removal of the map. Don't get me wrong, I like the way it works now better, but I'd still like to see some sort of overall progression map. My first time getting to the final boss of a short dive, the area before it let me destroy stuff but keep the aspects, so I destroyed a bunch of shit because I already had left a bunch on the ground previously, so why not make room? Well, going into the final fight with most of my shit scavenged made it a lot harder than it would have been, and how would I have known that the first time through?

Still, totally worth playing for a while at least. DLC is all cosmetic though, so skip it unless you want to toss them extra money. I stupidly bought it because I'm a sucker for all that deluxe edition etc. shit, and while I might be fine with giving them more money eventually, the first time I play it is not that time.