International Travel for n00bs

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
It depends on where you go. I imagine if you're a first time traveler you're going to somewhere where they love American money.
There's two ways to go about it depending on your situation. First is to be open and honest as it's the best way to get people to open up and actually start a conversation. The second is to keep to yourself and keep people at a distance because you don't want to be bothered. There's no point in bullshitting and being ashamed of where you're from. Unless you're from Boston.

Edit: What Dyvim said.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I have always chosen a small international travel plan for my phone when I am out of country, and basically stuck to using it for texting or quick calls if the people I traveled with separate. I don't know if the international data plans are any better for the American carriers, but they are brutal here for data.

You might be better off buying a GPS for $120 bucks and just using that to get around.

Szlia

Since Obama got elected it's cool again to be american. Just say you voted for him!
smile.png

Also, while food poisoning is certainly avoidable, any radical change in diet will have your digestive system not too happy (nothing bad though). That said, the average north american diet is not that different from a european diet. Breakfast are pretty different from place to place, but hotels tend to accommodate for all tastes (bacon and scrambled eggs might be tough to get, but germans and englishmen eat sausages and other meat products for breakfast).

About breakfast, apparently nothing sets the biological clock better than a good breakfast at the right time.

Tap water is ok everywhere in Switzerland (except in trains). Water from public fountains is drinkable more often than not.

baerf_sl

shitlord
There's two ways to go about it depending on your situation. First is to be open and honest as it's the best way to get people to open up and actually start a conversation. The second is to keep to yourself and keep people at a distance because you don't want to be bothered. There's no point in bullshitting and being ashamed of where you're from. Unless you're from Boston.

Edit: What Dyvim said.
Not sure where the whole "keep your American roots secret" comes from in Europe. No one really gives a shit, and on the ground level people just like knowing where people are from. Canada is a great country, but if you're American then you have alot more to talk about. I had the same deal in Switzerland - was helping a northern american couple with directions and asked where they were from; "Canada" they said, but couldn't tell me where ... right....

No-one over here hates the US, many people i know started rooting for the USA football team in the world cup after England where knocked out. We just hate the same as everyone else on this planet that being people who are loud, rude and obnoxious. If you are getting these views from the media, then just stop listening to them - if you are happy to drink a few pints, not take yourself too seriously then no-one will give a shit on where you are from.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was partying with three American guys in Prague one time, and they were telling me and my bud that they were visiting with their dads, who were in Europe on business or some shit. Things just weren't adding up, so we called them on it. They admitted that they were American soldiers on leave from Afghanistan. I totally understood why they were bullshitting us initially, some people would be dicks about that. My bud and I didn't give a shit, and proceeded to party them in to the ground at the Five Level Club, or whatever the fuck it's called.

But yeah, 10 years ago it was common to hear about Americans claiming to be Canadians. Lots of Canadians were sewing Maple Leafs on their backpacks while travelling and apparently a lot of Americans were copying it. I can't really speak for how it is these days.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Probably all credit card machines in the UK uses Chip and Pin now but I think magnetic swipe still works at most places. Just remember to bring ID (like your passport) to back up your signature on the card.

Regarding cellphone: Is your phone unlocked and accepts other sim cards? If it does then it might be best just to go into a convenience shop at Heathrow (there are plenty around in the terminal and I am assuming you are arriving from there) and buy a pay-as-you-go sim card (I recommend the company 'EE' - best 4G coverage) that gives you data and calls and allows you to top up with your credit card through their helpline when you run low).

Regarding currency: Local banks and the Post Office are your best bet to exchange dollars - GBP. There are plenty around (HSBC, Barclays, Natwest, TSB, Lloyds) so you don't need to worry about running out of cash. Not too sure with the exchange rate though but they are competitive since they are competing with each other. I wouldn't advise you to exchange your money at the airport as they will rape you on awful exchange rates and wait till you get to the city which offers much better rates from the aforementioned banks and Post Office.

London attracts many tourists so pickpockets do operate around there especially the touristy places but other cities the worry is much less and pretty safe (just don't deliberately act like 'I AM A TOURIST AND I GOT TONS OF MONEY ON ME' and you will be fine).

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Oh and people in the UK are generally very friendly towards Americans so no worries there (All that stand shoulder-to-shoulder and best-allies4ever stuff)

'Murica!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tap water is pretty clean in the UK. Don't need to worry too much about that.
UK sure, but I don't think it's dirty water thats the problem. I've always heard that each regions tap water have slight variations of what minerals/bugs are in them that cause the stomach issues.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Some higher end hotels offer currency exchange at very competitive rates as services to the guests, so you could check with them if you are staying at one. Some banks also offer competitive exchange services, but it may depend on your relationship. HSBC premier global account, and stanchart priority account both offer very nice exchange services to members for many popular currencies. Other than that, ATMs are the next best thing.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Sapphire Preferred Card - No Foreign Transaction Fee Travel Credit Cards | Chase.comis what I use for a CC. No fees and chip enabled. Don't sleep with super blinds that block all the light. Let at least some light come in the morning to help get yourself adjusted. It depends on when you arrive, but arriving in the evening after staying up the whole time and just crashing when I get to my hotel is my ideal setup. Otherwise sticking to your normal routine. If you aren't a breakfast person and you eat some super breakfast your body will think that was a great dinner and out you go. With AT&T I just switch plans for the trip and then switch back later. Otherwise at least understand your plan so when you get a bill for $1000s you aren't surprised.

I've never lied about being from America... I've had some good laughs making fun of the president though. Understanding the culture and not being ignorant is more important
smile.png

I like noise canceling (not isolating) headphones for the long flights.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not sure where the whole "keep your American roots secret" comes from in Europe.
George W Bush made USA into a joke for 8 years in Europe, it was pretty bad in the UK you couldn't watch a comedy show without him being mentioned.

Since Obama got elected it's cool again to be american. Just say you voted for him!
smile.png
Yeah it's fixed now, I can't imagine anyone being anything other than pleased to meet you here.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Jet lag: much worse for me when flying from the US to Europe. 2 short days with a short night (usually on the plan) inbetween is harder to adjust to than 1 very long day.

Money: credit cards are as widely accepted as in the US, so pay with those if you can. Else you can pay with a debit card, or withdraw cash from an ATM.

Culture: nobody will resent you being American. After all it's not your fault you were born that way. Most people will be able to respond in English (a bit less so the more south you go in Europe).

Happy 4th of July! The university library here is flying the Stars and Stripes today (it was rebuild with American money after WWI).

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Most people will be able to respond in English (a bit less so the more south you go in Europe).
It really depends on where you go. I spent most of my time in Paris, and when I was heading to Rome everyone in Paris laughed and said shit like "hope your Italian is better than your French! No one speaks English there." Then I got there and EVERYONE spoke English, and better than your average Parisian. Yes I'm accounting for the Parisians not wanting to speak English even though they know how to, I spent more than enough time there to get over that hurdle. Florence wasn't bad with English, either.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just to echo a lot of what has already been said:
  • Don't be a dick
  • Call your bank/credit card companies and let them know where you will be. Also try to get a chip & pin card with no foreign fees
  • Get local currency out of local ATMs
  • Learn a bit of the local language
  • I usually buy a prepaid sim card wherever I travel for emergency use...wifi calling/google voice for talking to people back home
  • Don't be a dick

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I agree with everything Adam wrote except this. I'd definitely recommend getting a money belt, especially if you're going to be visiting big touristy areas (places that pick pockets love). It's only like 15 - 20 dollars for a simple money belt that can keep your passport, credit cards, and extra cash almost completely secure. Even if you don't ever reallyneedit, I found that the piece of mind was worth the low cost.

*edit* Just don't be one of those doofuses that wears the money belt like a fannie pack, thus defeating the purpose of it.
I disagree with this. If you're going to look like a tourist, you're going to get pickpocketed like a tourist. Take a jacket or something that has a zipper (front left/right pocket) where you can put your wallet. Unless you are absolutely retarded in your surroundings, you will have no problem.

BTW Adam's original post is 100% right on.

My husband and I got back from Paris for our honeymoon and it was absolutely foreign. I would say about 95-98% of the residents in Paris did NOT want to speak in English. When I went to Florence, EVERYONE spoke English.

KNOW SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH IF YOU'RE GOING TO PARIS! If not, you are gonna have a bad time. ;p

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I disagree with this. If you're going to look like a tourist, you're going to get pickpocketed like a tourist. Take a jacket or something that has a zipper (front left/right pocket) where you can put your wallet. Unless you are absolutely retarded in your surroundings, you will have no problem.
A jacket works, especially if it has an inside pocket. However, he's going in August so it's going to be hot as hell in a lot of places, so I don't think wearing a jacket would be comfortable. The whole point of a money belt is that it's discrete and under your clothes so not only is it extremely difficult to pick pocket, it's also pretty much impossible to see/notice while allowing you to wear whatever clothes you want and be comfortable.

I wandered around Istanbul in 100+ degree temperatures with a little money belt tucked under my t-shirt/shorts. It was a fantastic feeling knowing my credit cards and passport were secure while still wearing light, comfortable clothes.

*Edit* And ANY exposed pocket, zipper or no, is a possible target for pick pockets. I know tons of travelers and some of the stories I've heard are insane; stuff like having pick pockets cut through your clothes or get your wallet out of the bottom of a full backpack.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
You can have a hidden pouch and not look like a tourist. I use one of these when traveling oversea. I keep my passport in it plus the extra cards I don't use on the regular. Cash for a day or two plus a CC in my wallet is all I need.

rrr_img_70665.jpg

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
As an american living in the UK I can say that your biggest concern is that the US is backwards as fuck and dont issue chip and pin cards which is annoying because more and more places only accept that or if their swipe machines work no one really knows how to use them anymore. Getting robbed, drinking water, worrying about where you are from cause US=bad, is all masturbatory imo. Crime is the same or less as the US, water is fine, and no one gives a fuck where you are from unless you are a total dick about it and are the type of person prone to getting in bar fights already. If you are part of the America fuck ya crowd then maybe don't open your mouth.

For cell phones, if you are starting in the UK you can get a pay as you go sim card that will work in the UK for next to nothing, and if you go with Three as your provider I think that card will work in france for sure and maybe switzerland at no extra charge from UK rates. Check it out but it should be way cheaper than paying verizon whatever retarded rate they want, smart phone plans in the UK/EU are way more reasonable than the US.