International Travel for n00bs

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
After reading up on it a bit, I think I can just use my Galaxy S3 over there. I can buy a SIM card with like 1GB of data and minutes/texting. I'm getting conflicting information on whether I need to call Verizon first or not, but I think it should work.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
After reading up on it a bit, I think I can just use my Galaxy S3 over there. I can buy a SIM card with like 1GB of data and minutes/texting. I'm getting conflicting information on whether I need to call Verizon first or not, but I think it should work.
Why would you need to contact Verizon? Once you remove the SIM it's like you just have your phone off from a service provider perspective. I'm not sure how some of the Verizon bloatware might behave, but I should think it's going to just shit itself if you try and use it not cause any actual problems.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The question is will it work with their networks. Maybe things have changed with LTE, but it used to be that no Verizon or Sprint phone worked in Europe regardless of the SIM unless it was specifically designated a "world phone" because they don't have CDMA networks over there.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Why would you need to contact Verizon? Once you remove the SIM it's like you just have your phone off from a service provider perspective. I'm not sure how some of the Verizon bloatware might behave, but I should think it's going to just shit itself if you try and use it not cause any actual problems.
If the phone is not unlocked it wouldn't work with another sim tho. Not all phones come locked but I know when I moved to the uk I had to call Verizon to unlock my iPhone so I could use it here. Its a quick and painless call tho with no charge as long as you have been a customer for 6 or so months. They do it so you can't get a new phone on contract, pop out the sim and default on the contract. Google Verizon global services I think they are the ones who do it, the guys at the stores wont know wtf you are asking.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm back from my trip. Couple things from other's feedback:

Magnetic strip card wasn't a problem anywhere except for the UK. It worked fine in Ireland, Spain, and Switzerland.

As for the jet lag, it wasn't a problem. Airplanes put me to sleep immediately. I landed in Madrid at 10:30am and didn't go to bed until 1am or so.

I didn't have a money belt and didn't find it necessary. My friend who lives in Madrid said he had a friend who had a cellphone stolen once, but no other anecdotes beyond that.

If you're a single American dude you should go to Northern Ireland. The women are very interested in American guys.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I was just in Northern Ireland two weeks ago and it was amazing, I took some tours (not from tour companies) and the whole 'trouble years' history is awesome.

Also bumped with Jamie Lannister, Littlefinger and Brianne of Tarth (They were staying in my hotel)

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know if anyone said it yet but I use the Schwab high yield checking for ATM. Get a creditcard that won't rape you on foriegn transaction fees. If you are going to fuck around cash is king.