Interstellar (2014)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I watched this last night and I loved the movie right up until he fell into the black hole, and everything that happens after was just so profoundly derptastic.

Now a big enough black hole (and I assume with the name Gargantua, the one in the movie qualifies) you could theoretically get pretty damn close to the center before spaghettification set in...but billions and billions of years would have passed outside the black hole, and this time dilation transpires before they grab him and toss him behind the bookshelf. If they can rewind or protect him from that much time dilation, it raises a lot of questions about what else they could have done that would have made more sense. All the other stuff about the ending has already been nitpicked, like nobody caring about them rescuing a lost astronaut from 80 years ago who just happens to be the father of the savior of the entire human race, or the fact that he just walks out after spending 30 seconds with his daughter. TBH, they should have had him waiting for Dr Brand when she landed instead of just showing her setting up the colony with the implication that he's going to show up.

The first planet they land on really blew me away once I wrapped my mind around it. I wondered how the hell they were able to land, and then I realized it was the ocean floor because so much of the world's water was tied up in those waves. The Matt Damon shit was terrible and all the time wasted with that horribly predictable plot could have been better spent elsewhere in the movie.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
eh if they spent any more time on his daughter or any other scenes fleshing it out, this would of been Return of the King in space. So your point of just cutting to him waiting on dr. brand would of taken a lot of the wtf out of the ending.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I am so tired of the psycho scientist cliche in sci fi movies. Knock it the fuck off.

Yeah that isn't the biggest problem but I'm not even gonna bother touching on the rest of it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He wasn't really psycho, though, he was desperate and actually, probably right. Risking the entire survival of the human race because reasons is a bad plan. And he was scared, man if they tell you "hey go die alone on this planet" you might be ok with it at first but eventually the long march to death probably starts nagging at you.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't even care what the characters reason is. It's still the same old tired trope. Wake the scientist up and he just fucks everything up even more. It's boring and annoying at this point. I'm just glad I didn't waste money in a theater to see this movie.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed it mostly. Was not a fan of how they handled the ending. I really wish they would have just acknowledged that the human race fucked up and while valiantly trying, they just could not be saved. It is the price we will pay in the future if things do not change within 50 years. I will most likely be dead or too damn old to care but it will be a shame for those that have to suffer through the water shortage and the wars to come from it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Disagree with that. Turning the ending into a preachy environmental awareness wouldn't have fit with the rest of the movie. I'm glad they didn't ME3 it

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm really surprised at how scientifically accurate it was. People complaining about the giant waves, various aspects of the black hole, and the ship being able to leave the other planets really don't know wtf they're talking about. They specifically explained each of those. Also, him being found alive not being a bigger story really isn't that much of a surprise either. First, they never mentioned that him being alivewasn'ta big story. Plus, I doubt his mission even "officially" happened. It's not even clear how many people even knew he was found alive and his connection to his daughter. Way too many assumptions have to be taken for me to really consider it an issue.

Everyone's free to like or dislike whatever they want, but if your reasoning is because the science wasn't good enough then you're probably not as smart as you think you are.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If I had seen it in the theater I probably wouldn't have liked it. A movie this long needs an intermission. Seeing it at home and being able to pause it to use the can or get something to drink I liked it just fine.

Only thing I didn't like was Matt Damon's subplot. It was a cliche' that was telegraphed instantly, didn't fit with the rest of the film, and added a bunch of length for little gain. No complaints with anything else.

I saw Mission to Mars and Red Planet in the theater and boy howdy does Interstellar kick them right into the dumpster.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really surprised at how scientifically accurate it was. People complaining about the giant waves, various aspects of the black hole, and the ship being able to leave the other planets really don't know wtf they're talking about. They specifically explained each of those. Also, him being found alive not being a bigger story really isn't that much of a surprise either. First, they never mentioned that him being alivewasn'ta big story. Plus, I doubt his mission even "officially" happened. It's not even clear how many people even knew he was found alive and his connection to his daughter. Way too many assumptions have to be taken for me to really consider it an issue.

Everyone's free to like or dislike whatever they want, but if your reasoning is because the science wasn't good enough then you're probably not as smart as you think you are.
The waves were one of the best concepts. Explain though, how does a ship, much less the crew, survive the crushing force of a black hole? I was under the impression that the gravitational force of a black hole prior to entering would rip a ship apart. If a ship gets torn apart, then a body suit would soon follow. I guess I am wrong?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Future humans manipulated the space-time around his space suit and pulled him out of their cosmic ass to the other side of the wormhole. Then he started poking books...

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
The waves were one of the best concepts. Explain though, how does a ship, much less the crew, survive the crushing force of a black hole? I was under the impression that the gravitational force of a black hole prior to entering would rip a ship apart. If a ship gets torn apart, then a body suit would soon follow. I guess I am wrong?
The waves didn't make much sense to me honestly. Not enough depth for that much wave, plus all the other mechanical issues aside.

They were able to orbit so closely to the black hole though cause it was spinning so fast versus a stationary one. Apparently that changes things and makes it possible for Rust to enter alternate timelines and drink beer.