Interstellar (2014)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This movie had a great plot and everything but it was incredibly poorly paced.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I loved Contact, but didn't like Interstellar that much. The fact that he survived the black hole is fine. The fact that the black hole affected time is fine. The watch/books/library/love/morse code angle was ghey. They had unmatched creative liberty with the introduction of the black hole, and to me turning it into 5th dimension library to communicate with his daughter via morse code (plus the power of love yo) just seemed lazy.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Super weird. I love science fiction AND science. My top 10 favorite movies of all time include Contact and 2010. But I fucking hated this movie.
I like Contact (like the book more though) and love 2010. I saw this in the theater and liked it at the time. I downloaded this recently and I'll rewatch it. But there's a lot to like here even if some parts were stupid. Both 2010 and Contact had stupid plot devices as well. Those don't ruin the movie for me.

iannis

Musty Nester
I just saw this the other day. Not a bad movie, but the focus of it was a little...

I mean I can see how it would be a GREAT movie for Middle America.

Contact was much better. I'd say that Interstellar was a good movie though. Just not great. "The power of love!" was a bit overdone. And you could tell within 5 minutes that Matt Demon had flipped, so that entire arc felt needlessly drawn out. And some of it didn't make very much sense. But it doesn't really have to, since he was just insane and everything. I think I would have preferred if they dug deeper into the stuff that was actually interesting and spent less time of the dumb bullshit. Imagine.

I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it though. It was purdy decent. But it did hang heavily on the actors. Whoever that woman was that played Murphy was pretty good. And the child murphy was good too.

iannis

Musty Nester
And not to be overly picky or anything... But I don't think frozen clouds would actually float.

I'm just sayin. I think ice is more dense than any sort of remotely breathable atmospheric gas could be.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I also liked the movie until he entered the black hole. And as I posted somewhere earlier in the thread, if a black hole was large enough you could get close to/all the way to the center without being torn apart. It's the smaller black holes where the difference in gravity increases so rapidly that you'll turn into spaghetti.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
People bitching about "lol black holes" have no imagination. ZERO. Until you actually go through a black hole to see what happens, you really don't.

I always tell people that if you liked Contact, you will like Interstellar. Story and fantastic science embedded in it.

https://youtu.be/3deNVM3EWIc?t=1m52s
I'm sorry, man. I love Contact and was just in general disappointed in Interstellar. The emotional investment the viewer develops is all cheap and nearly 45 minutes of the movie is one big cliche movie trope. I don't have science complaints with the movie really, the plot was just a mess.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I loved Contact, but didn't like Interstellar that much. The fact that he survived the black hole is fine. The fact that the black hole affected time is fine. The watch/books/library/love/morse code angle was ghey. They had unmatched creative liberty with the introduction of the black hole, and to me turning it into 5th dimension library to communicate with his daughter via morse code (plus the power of love yo) just seemed lazy.
agree, plus isn't the whole blackhole a time paradox since it was put there by "don't know" (future humans) but humanity would be extinct w/o it.

I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it though. It was purdy decent. But it did hang heavily on the actors. Whoever that woman was that played Murphy was pretty good. And the child murphy was good too.
Jessica Chastain - 0 dark 30

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
agree, plus isn't the whole blackhole a time paradox since it was put there by "don't know" (future humans) but humanity would be extinct w/o it.
No. This is one complaint with the science in the movie that doesn't have a lot of backing. There is one timeline. No paradoxes or multiple universes. We just aren't capable of understanding it and that's what the whole end of the movie is about.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Contact is an all-time favorite of mine. This movie was ok but Contact was miles better. This movie tried to be more than Contact, and ended up being quite a bit less. Nolan tried to get too fancy with the bullshit plot twists instead of just trying to make a great sci-fi movie.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and he admits they fudged things which is why the water planet isn't traveling near the speed of light, or why a gentle black hole is producing tides so dramatic that it's like an endless pair of tsunamis circling the planet. Also I think there's some conflict because Neil said something about how fast the planet is rotating, but I'm pretty sure the planet is tidally locked to the black hole.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
No, this movie is not scientifically accurate in almost any sense, though one of its coolest scenes by far actually was- the docking scene. A movie all like that would be so kewl.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Tars, Docking, good acting was highlights rest of the movie was really bland or stupid

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, this movie is not scientifically accurate in almost any sense, though one of its coolest scenes by far actually was- the docking scene. A movie all like that would be so kewl.
Furry, the internet's retard or Kip Thorne, renowned physicist and advisor to the film... hmm... who to beleive???

The Science of Interstellar: Kip Thorne, Eric Michael Summerer: 9781494559397: Amazon.com: Books

'Interstellar' Science: Physicist Kip Thorne Writes the Book

Time Travel and Wormholes: Kip Thorne's Wildest Theories