Interstellar (2014)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's my understanding that a spinning black hole would indeed have magnetic poles. That's how they radiate and decay. And they do indeed radiate but it is at such a rate as to be imperceptible. They will, eventually, be the hottest things in the universe. They will even, eventually, pop. They're supposed to release a lot of energy when they do as nuclear forces reassert themselves as dominant over gravitational ones.

And, according to Einstein, a black hole has to spin. Everything is in motion.

I mean that's why Hawking is famous, right? Hawking radiation. Without that he's just some physics professor with MS.
True, which is why Hawking theorized that the big bang itself came from a singularity just like what is found inside a black hole. Which means it is possible that inside every black hole, is another universe.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Finally watched this. Great movie and that is what it is, a movie. I just ignored the scientifically inaccurate stuff and enjoyed the Hollywood Drama.

Matt Damon is a rick.

Also, as a parent of 2...dem feels man...dem feels.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
yeah, the story was convenient and similar to an idea he already was working on so he basically just took bits and pieces from it, more of a backdrop than anything.
link
That link has the main differences between the original script and the movie. It doesn't really do the changes justice though. For example, nobody ever travels into a blackhole in the script, it's a second, smaller wormhole that is trapped in gargantua's orbit that they fall in to.
IIRC, the concept is the same between Jonah's and Chris' scripts: Both of them go "into" Gargantua but not to the spaghettification point due to its supermassive size. In Jonah's script they then jump to the Chinese station built outside of time-space; in Chris' script/the actual movie:
they fall into the tesseract built by the 5th dimensional beings/future humans

Just responding to things on this page, they chose Matt Damon's planet next because he was lying his ass off in his reports about what the prospects were there.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
no, in the script they never go into a black hole. They go into another worm hole that's in orbit around the black hole.

In the script there is Gargantua which is the super massive black hole at the center of that system, and in orbit around that black hole is another much smaller black hole, Pantagruel. The wormhole "exit" that they come through is in orbit around Pantagruel. as is a neutron star (the neutron star got pulled into this system by Gargantua, it's what caused them to discover the worm hole in the first place at the beginning of the story), and the ice planet. They escape the ice planet and get slung shot into the other worm hole. They never actually enter the black hole. The ice planet does though, the neutron star offset it's orbit and caused it to collide with the black hole destroying the ice planet and killing all the aliens living on it. But brand saved a few of them and cooper later releases them on earth where they thrive and take over (all other life is dead on earth by this point). Which is what the extra dimensional beings (not future humans like the movie) who originally opened the worm hole in our solar system were trying to achieve.

so human's save an alien species and relocate them to a very habitable to them earth, which has become uninhabitable to humans, and in the process of doing so, humans discover the technology to save themselves and leave earth.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Why the fuck did they change that? That is a fantastic story. Thanks for posting that.
As has been said a million times; because it's a drama about family with a hard science fiction setting, not the other way around. I'm just as disappointed as most that would have rather had the great sci-fi story that it could have been. It's still one of my favorite movies, though.

iannis

Musty Nester
That is a better story. It's harder to work the "Muuuuurph!" into, but it's an even better "moral" to it.

This really could have been Contact instead of Contact lite. That would have been a much better movie.

When I think of this movie I still think, "Why the fuck was Matt Damon in it, and what purpose was there to his scenes? They could have cut every bit of that and lost nothing. It was a vain tangent for the writer, the director, and the actor" The other 2/3 wasn't bad though. It's an ok movie I guess. Coulda been great, and they missed it by about two or three decisions. Oh well.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That is a better story. It's harder to work the "Muuuuurph!" into, but it's an even better "moral" to it.

This really could have been Contact instead of Contact lite. That would have been a much better movie.

When I think of this movie I still think, "Why the fuck was Matt Damon in it, and what purpose was there to his scenes? They could have cut every bit of that and lost nothing. It was a vain tangent for the writer, the director, and the actor" The other 2/3 wasn't bad though. It's an ok movie I guess. Coulda been great, and they missed it by about two or three decisions. Oh well.
The "behind bookshelf" scene killed the movie for me. I was really enjoying the movie, even didn't care about matt damon's going coo coo scene, but that shit in the end? Lol some forced "love will conquer all", everything is connected, blablabla.....fucking horrible.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. And it makes it even worse because that original plotline described above makes that point MUCH more strongly than the bookshelf shennanigans. And if they'd taken the time that they spent on Matt Damon showing us that he's still alive and he's buddies with Matthew prettyboy Texas loves Jesus, they could have done the movie that way instead.

3 decisions turned a really strong subject into just a fairly decent movie.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i liked it, had me tearing up at some points, yeah the bookshelf scene was a little silly, but fuck it, the overall movie was so fucking grim, a little hope wasnt a bad thing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Watched finally, this wasn't awful but I think some of the minor things dragged it down.

Like bitch, there's a ninety story wave on a planet next to a black hole, I kinda doubt the black box is going to help make the world better.

Crazy Damon was OK, but they needed to make him more insidious/disturbed. Instead he looked normal but was mysteriously suicidal. Ragged beard barely survived look this could work ran all these experiments we could terraform why won't you guys listen to me instead of... Yea that's it I'll kill them all!

Besides that, the bookcase live! bs just kind of deus ex machina'd it but it wasn't overtly obnoxious like some predestination bullshit usually is, though some of it was a bit odd (guy in NASA doesn't know what Cheyenne Mountain is and/or no one had a map before driving there?). The ending was a bit weird, like the ladies family is like oh must be another cousin!

Few minor tweaks and this would be an epic, as is it's a little too lovey dovey but worth a watch.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
His plan was evil mastermind shit. It wasn't awful, but the way he went crazy kill everyone was a bit odd. Then he docks improperly and killed himself? Pretty sure he's going to have a vague idea what not having a pressure seal would do on an airlock.

So I'm saying instead if he was a bit more haggard, older and crazy to show more instability it would have made him just committing suicide after a homicide and an attempted homicide a bit more believable.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Up until the introduction of Matt Damon's character I felt like Interstellar was a smart reconstruction of many other Sci-Fi themes and tropes but he's just such a stock antagonist/monkey wrench character that it drags down the rest of the film.

"Hey man, your robot seems broken. Want me to take a look at it?"
"NOPE"

Boy, I wonder if this guy has something to hide because I sure haven't seen this exact scene forty of fifty times. Just everything with him was generic. The story is filled with familiar elements but the stuff with Matt Damon just didn't have the same polish as other parts of the film. It didn't go at it in a new direction. He's just The Guy With Space Madness.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This movie always hits the feels - so long as i dont think too much into the science its still easily one of my favorite.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed it. The pacing was strained in parts, but the tense moments were done really well (especially with the music). The visuals were also very beautiful and believable (even if the minutia of the science behind them wasn't).