Interstellar (2014)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Read the thread. The criticism of this movie has little to do with the science. And so much more with the pacing, the fact that it was an emotional roller coaster without much substance beyond that and the cliche Matt Damon bad guy trope.

The original script was great. Then Nolan did his thing.

MURPH

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not nearly as bothered by the Matt Damon thing as others apparently are. He was a representation of people who will doom the entire species in order to save themselves. They had talked about it before hand so it didn't feel like a thing they threw in just because and was unconnected to the rest of the movie.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know I've made this post a couple times in this thread but he's just so damnedcliche'.Good writing, good acting, and some variation of the usual really elevated the familiar sci-fi tropes that the movie is full of. It didn't feel derivative watching it and I've seen my fair share of sci-fi.

Until fucking Matt Damon shows up. Hey buddy, it looks like your robot is busted, want me to check it out? NOPE.

I was really hoping there was going to be a twist or subversion of the space madness trope but there wasn't. He's just the dude with space madness that we've seen over and over and over again.

spronk

FPS noob
it woulda been awesome if matt damon jury rugged his robot buddy so it pegged him nightly, and he turns out to be really calm and cool and comes up with the plan that saves humanity

gay robot sex trumps love is probably too progressive a message for 2014 though

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I know I've made this post a couple times in this thread but he's just so damnedcliche'.Good writing, good acting, and some variation of the usual really elevated the familiar sci-fi tropes that the movie is full of. It didn't feel derivative watching it and I've seen my fair share of sci-fi.

Until fucking Matt Damon shows up. Hey buddy, it looks like your robot is busted, want me to check it out? NOPE.

I was really hoping there was going to be a twist or subversion of the space madness trope but there wasn't. He's just the dude with space madness that we've seen over and over and over again.
Sometimes realism wins the day. Sure it was cliche but it's exactly what I would expect. I think you guys have a bigger problem with the rest of them not catching onto it when we as the audience knew what was about to happen. The problem wasn't the space madness, it was the fact that the other characters, who should have been trained in that kind of thing because they're going to outer friggin space, just followed him around like dogs on a leash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Whoa whoa, let's not be bringing the "r" word into this.

Matt Damon's space madness did not match the quality of the rest of the film is all I'm saying.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whoa whoa, let's not be bringing the "r" word into this.

Matt Damon's space madness did not match the quality of the rest of the film is all I'm saying.
You're right. His terribly predictable space madness was much higher quality section of the movie than a fifth dimensional bookcase at the center of a black hole.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Bookshelf.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The problem with the Matt Damon scifi trope of the 'crazy explorer' is more to do with how the story went down. It wasn't any more nuanced than he was fucking retarded. They could have made him a much more interesting character if instead of a false dilemma they had a real one and he just decides to fight Alright, Alright, Alright for control of the mission for the RIGHT reasons (as opposed to being deep freeze herpaderped) and ultimately loses which leaves you feeling kinda meh about it until it turns out Lincoln Lawyer saved the universe anyway.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not even sure why it's considered "space madness". He said he planned on sending a signal that his planet was inhabitable, even if it wasn't, before he even landed on the planet. Dude was just a dick who only cared about his own survival

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So i decided id go back and watch some other SciFi shit and ended up watching The Day the Earth Stood still...the first thing that stood out is "Wow Will's kid was annoying and terrible even back then!

I'm not nearly as bothered by the Matt Damon thing as others apparently are. He was a representation of people who will doom the entire species in order to save themselves. They had talked about it before hand so it didn't feel like a thing they threw in just because and was unconnected to the rest of the movie.

agree. he represented madness in the film. just like My Cocaine represented the Noble Lie. Shit's classic. /necro

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have still never watched Interstellar. Anyone want to give me a quick 1-2 sentence description on if it's worth watching or not?

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I have still never watched Interstellar. Anyone want to give me a quick 1-2 sentence description on if it's worth watching or not?
Like most Nolan movies it's impressive visually and the first 3/4 of the movie is pretty good. The end of the movie is pure trash though.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Are you a parent? It will rip your heart out. It's an insanely ambitious and deep sci-fi movie that affected me on a level no other movie ever has. It's excellent. Hopefully you can watch it in some sort of home theater. And don't watch it while like your wife is talking to you about some stupid shit, or if you have a lot of distractions. Turn off the lights, silence your phone, and just watch it.

Cybsled

Another plus is its depiction of a blackhole is supposed to be scientifically accurate.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
And it is one of the best OSTs in last 5 years.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its a really good movie and definitely worth watching despite the ending being trash. See it at least once, it will be on every "20 Best Scifi Movie" lists for the next few decades.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Another plus is its depiction of a blackhole is supposed to be scientifically accurate.
Yet at the same time, the idea of a black hole is still just a scientific theory. We aren't 100% certain of their existence. But it makes sense that they exist. Really strange how something I've always known to be a fact is in fact, anything but.