Interstellar (2014)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yet at the same time, the idea of a black hole is still just a scientific theory. We aren't 100% certain of their existence. But it makes sense that they exist. Really strange how something I've always known to be a fact is in fact, anything but.

If black holes don't exist, something else does that essentially functions exactly like them, does...isn't that the general consensus at this point?

As for the movie, it's definitely deep in the feels and very good, although I agree the ending isn't great. The original script would have been a movie 3 times as good and would have been an all timer, for any genre.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yet at the same time, the idea of a black hole is still just a scientific theory. We aren't 100% certain of their existence. But it makes sense that they exist. Really strange how something I've always known to be a fact is in fact, anything but.

Oh Jesus, not the "just a scientific theory" thing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, gravity is just a scientific theory too. We can't be 100% certain gravity exists, but if it doesn't exist then something that functions exactly like gravity does exist.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
the black hole concept is kind of a mindfuck because there's no obvious reason for it to exist.

its almost like it exists just solely to fuck with people's heads.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of Gravity, I wonder how they're going to deal with the impenetrable cloud of debris in Earth orbit for Gravity 2.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
the black hole concept is kind of a mindfuck because there's no obvious reason for it to exist.

its almost like it exists just solely to fuck with people's heads.

It's an inevitable consequence of relativity and their effects can be seen and measured.

If they don't exist, then that means there's a whole lot of stuff we're wrong about that go far beyond black holes.

Cybsled

Theory in science != the use of theory in common language

If something makes it to theory in science, it is essentially the equivalent of fact

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen

We can see gravitational lensing caused by black holes. The math is right. If it's not a black hole, it's something of the same mass as a black hole, meaning it is a black hole

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Are you a parent? It will rip your heart out. It's an insanely ambitious and deep sci-fi movie that affected me on a level no other movie ever has. It's excellent. Hopefully you can watch it in some sort of home theater. And don't watch it while like your wife is talking to you about some stupid shit, or if you have a lot of distractions. Turn off the lights, silence your phone, and just watch it.

I think that's the biggest problem for me when it comes to Arrival and Interstellar. I don't have kids so the endings angered me far more than they should have. I've said it before in these threads just not a big fan of the time travel aspects regarding the past.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think that's the biggest problem for me when it comes to Arrival and Interstellar. I don't have kids so the endings angered me far more than they should have. I've said it before in these threads just not a big fan of the time travel aspects regarding the past.

Actually if you're a parent I'd think you'd be even more angry about the ending of Interstellar.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I keep watching this movie (And Fury & Thor: Ragnarok) any time I want to watch something. I don't think I started liking this one until the 3rd time through, but it's great.

Yea, the ending overall is pretty damn meh, but this part gets me every time:
Murph : [as Cooper holds his now elderly daughter's hands] Nobody believed me, but I knew you'd come back.
Cooper : How?
Murph : ...Because my dad promised me.

And this is the best scene in the movie, heavily aided by the soundtrack -

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I love all things space opera and hard science, and this movie did not fail to deliver.

I find it highly amusing, however, that you also have to kinda-sorta shut off your brain to get the full enjoyment of the movie, not unlike a schlock sci-fi movie.

Clearly, the eggheads have a problem with the hard numbers with the science, but beyond that it was a spectacular movie, acting, special effects, set pieces, you name it.

I forgive the Matt Damon insanity, I can shut my brain off enough to explain that away to myself - but the whole "love" thing was ALMOST too much.

I mean, gravity is just a scientific theory too. We can't be 100% certain gravity exists, but if it doesn't exist then something that functions exactly like gravity does exist.

Fairly sure how science works is, that whatever it is that "functions" exactly like gravity *is* gravity. Theory is always playing catchup to reality, but the scientific method has proven to be the Mohammed Ali of intellectual methods.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Blackholes are one of the most fascinating things to me, it's frustrating we know next to nothing about them, except they are massive objects contained in a ridiculously small area of space. Even the theories about them are closer to wild speculation, rather than actual theories, except perhaps that they are formed from dying massive stars. We won't actually learn much about them until we can get close to one though, I think the closest possible detected black hole is a few hundred LY away? Not in my lifetime.

spronk

FPS noob
the closest black hole is over 3000 LY away so its unlikely we'll encounter any for a long, long time. Of course there are probably micro black holes, like extremely tiny, all over the place and maybe its even possible in our lifetime to create ones that don't last very long in something like the LHC.

i dunno if you listen to podcasts but there is a relatively new recent one, Daniel and Jorge explain the universe and its really good and has had a few episodes on black holes and wormholes. Its hosted by an actual high energy physicist and a science cartoonist and is short but comes out quite often, works great for workouts/walks.
Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe

i sub via my pocket casts app so it downloads for me automatically on my phone.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
If black holes don't exist, something else does that essentially functions exactly like them, does...isn't that the general consensus at this point?

As for the movie, it's definitely deep in the feels and very good, although I agree the ending isn't great. The original script would have been a movie 3 times as good and would have been an all timer, for any genre.

Gravity is just a theory, a well documented theory about something we know exists but we don’t fully know why or how.

Edit: shit, missed the post where Gavinmad Gavinmad said the exact same thing, sorry.