Interstellar (2014)

spronk

FPS noob
your bitches need some science, yo

PCAGhzo.jpg

AskScience: Got Questions? Get Answers.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife tried explaining the time dilation to the wife of a couple who went to see it with us. I was still pretty buzzed from dinner and the whole thing just gave me the giggles. Later on she informed me they don't want to go to movies with us anymore.

We saw it twice in theaters, both times unplanned. We don't make a habit of rewatching movies, but there honestly wasn't anything else we wanted to watch and had free tickets to burn.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I finally got around to watching this. I liked it, but it's probably in the lower part of the list of my favorite Nolan movies. Inception is one of my top 3 of all time flicks. I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't think this was great, but I'm surprised at how many seem to actively hate the movie.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I finally got around to watching this. I liked it, but it's probably in the lower part of the list of my favorite Nolan movies. Inception is one of my top 3 of all time flicks. I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't think this was great, but I'm surprised at how many seem to actively hate the movie.
The actively hating is generally from dumb people who think they know a lot more about science than they really do.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
That's the point though, it's a ScienceFICTIONmovie. The movie is giving you it's best guess based on science today, whether it'll hold up or not we'll see but people just outright dismissing something as impossible is pretty laughable.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
SomeIMDB triviarelated to that, they had an actual physicist as executive producer and consultant on the film for all of that stuff:

Early in pre-production, Dr. Kip Thorne laid down two guidelines to strictly follow: nothing would violate established physical laws, and that all the wild speculations would spring from science and not from the creative mind of a screenwriter. Christopher Nolan accepted these terms as long as they did not get in the way of the making of the movie. That did not prevent clashes, though; at one point Thorne spent two weeks talking Nolan out of an idea about travelling faster than light.

To create the wormhole and black hole, Dr. Kip Thorne collaborated with VFX supervisor Paul J. Franklin and his team at Double Negative. Thorne provided pages of deeply sourced theoretical equations to the team, who then created new CGI software programs based on these equations to create accurate computer simulations of these phenomena. Some individual frames took up to 100 hours to render, and ultimately the whole CGI program reached to 800 terabytes of data. The resulting VFX provided Thorne with new insight into the effects of gravitational lensing and accretion disks surrounding black holes, and led to him writing two scientific papers: one for the astrophysics community and one for the computer graphics community.

According to Dr. Kip Thorne, the largest degree of creative license in the film are the clouds of the ice planet, which are structures that probably go beyond the material strength which ice would be able to support.

Kip Thorne won a scientific bet against Stephen Hawking upon the astrophysics theory that underlies Interstellar (2014). As a consequence, Hawking had to subscribe Penthouse magazine for a year. This famous bet is depicted in The Theory of Everything (2014) which was released in the same year as Interstellar.

A lot of good ones there, kinda liked this one:

The wormhole shown in this film near Saturn is exactly the same place shown in Man of Steel (2013), produced by Christopher Nolan. In Man of Steel (2013), Superman as a child arrives into our solar system in a spaceship when it drops out of warp.

Sorry if these were posted before, really only just saw it and started reading the thread.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aside from being a lot more detailed, Interstellar's depiction of a black hole didn't seem significantly different from the black hole in the galactic core at the end of Mass Effect 2, and that was a pretty amazing thing to see as you come out of the Omega Relay.

spronk

FPS noob
the love speech by anne hathaway and the few lines that seemed to say that love is what allowed tex to communicate with murph are what pissed me off. The tv shows and movies my wife regularly watches usually say love is an actual force that has an effect across vast distances like gravity or weak nuclear force, and it pissed me off that interstellar also pushes that hippie dippie bullshit.

A lot more people would be pissed off if Murph said at the end that they believe it was God who created the tesseract because she wanted to save humanity, but love allowing the two of them to save humanity gets a pass...

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's not that weird. There's a theory that every sapient observer is actually a dimension, that every individual perspective is as much a measure of time and space as height, depth, width. It started as a tool to quantify subjective relativity but ended up being pretty useful in a lot of contexts.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
the love speech by anne hathaway and the few lines that seemed to say that love is what allowed tex to communicate with murph are what pissed me off. The tv shows and movies my wife regularly watches usually say love is an actual force that has an effect across vast distances like gravity or weak nuclear force, and it pissed me off that interstellar also pushes that hippie dippie bullshit.

A lot more people would be pissed off if Murph said at the end that they believe it was God who created the tesseract because she wanted to save humanity, but love allowing the two of them to save humanity gets a pass...
There's so much we don't understand about physics and other dimensions of reality that I think it's entirely possible that we can express some form of influence through emotional states (such as love). I wouldn't have had a problem with her stating something like God placed the wormhole because what else would a 5th dimensional human be to us but a god? They are eternal and theoretically omniscient. Whereas we are trapped by causality and linear time, 5th dimensional beings are under no such constraints.

For example, earlier we were talking about the paradox of the present day humans needing to survive to be the catalyst of the evolution to 5th dimensional humans. To us it seems like a paradox because our thinking is trapped in cause > effect, but in reality it happened because it always happened. If the 5th dimensional humans ever existed, then they have always existed, regardless of when or how their evolution occurred.

Edit: I get a headache just thinking about it, and I certainly don't claim to be a genius or huge fan of the movie, but to outright dismiss something as hippie dippie bullshit I think is very self-limiting. We're constantly learning more about the reality around us. Each generation has had an example of a truth that was shattered by the subsequent generation. The most famous example off the top of my head is when Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865) discovered that bacteria were the cause of childbed fever (a significant cause of death in his era), he was ridiculed and his peers fought him vigorously to dismiss his theories. Of course, we know now that he was absolutely correct and we sterilize our surgical environments, but to the scientists and physicians of his age, bacteria may as well have been love connecting two people across vast distances.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
The actively hating is generally from dumb people who think they know a lot more about science than they really do.
While I didn't hate it, I found it pretty lacklustre, my problem wasn't with the science but with the mediocre storyline. I mean, like many of you did I imagine, I pretty much figured out he was going to be responsible somehow for the books very early on, the movie just seemed to be a long explanation of how he got to that point. A long and pretty dull explanation at that.

That said, as sci-fi goes I liked John Carter so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

I interpret that as them talking about drive. Love drove Hathaway to conquer whatever in order to get back with Edwards on the planet, love drove Big Matty to dive headfirst into a black hole and hack the Gibson so he could save/be with his daughter. At no point in the movie did I think "love is reaching out across the universe!"

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just seen this, was very interesting but had it's stupid parts.

I feel like it should have ended 10 minutes earlier, you DIVE INTO A BLACK HOLE to see your daughter then leave after 2 minutes to go see the person you left to do that!?!? Hey what about the grandkids? Whaaaa?

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe it was like the end of Ulysses where he comes home, finds his wife fucking another dude, finds squatters in his house, and he's all like, "Whatever, fuck this" kills a few people and gets back on his boat.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
As someone who can't eat corn, I woulda been dead for years by the time this movies events took place. No cool space station paradise for me.
frown.png

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Just seen this, was very interesting but had it's stupid parts.

I feel like it should have ended 10 minutes earlier, you DIVE INTO A BLACK HOLE to see your daughter then leave after 2 minutes to go see the person you left to do that!?!? Hey what about the grandkids? Whaaaa?
Eh, he's been gone for like 80 years. They are only family by dna at that point. I totally get him continuing "the mission" vs hanging out with a bunch of strangers.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Eh, he's been gone for like 80 years. They are only family by dna at that point. I totally get him continuing "the mission" vs hanging out with a bunch of strangers.
Heartless monster! Did you already forget about the power of love?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
He blew his love load in the black hole. He can no longer feel.