Interstellar (2014)

Jive Turkey

Karen
I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out the obviousness that the series of ridiculous events that somehow resulted humanity being saved is, by definition, a Deus Ex Machina.
But is Deus Ex Machina not a cop out and therefor a bit of a complaint in and of itself?

spronk

FPS noob
kinda makes you wonder how long mcconaughy actually was stuck behind the bookshelf, maybe he saw murph masturbate a lot and thats why he wanted to take off so fast

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Foreshadowing to a Deus Ex Machina doesn't mean it's not a Deus Ex Machina.
Yes, it does. You even posted the definition but still have no clue wtf it means.

It's not even that there was just some foreshadowing, but the entire reason the wormhole was put there in the first place was for him to enter the black hole. Then later on Alfred and Murphy are talking about how the only way to solve the gravity problem requires date from the black hole. It's ok that the movie went over your heads. There's no shame in that. Plenty of stupid people live very happy lives.

Literally, every single retarded point you brought up had already been brought up and shot down. Also, your explanation that the movie could have been a lot simpler if they just cut out everything except for the beginning and ending holds true for every single movie ever.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What the fuck kind of space shuttles have ejection seats anyway. Where the fuck are you going to eject to?
I thought the exact same thing.

Also why did the say they never send anyone into space that has emotional connections then decide to send a trespassing farmer, father of two children as humanities last hope? Oh and a crazy woman who's love of her life is also out there stranded?

Also how is he drinking beer when corn is the only crop? Hops, malt ect, Should drink bourbon ?

Why did they hide Nasa? Seems like the end of the world is a great motivator to get funding and support to get to the space palace. Also, i would love someone to explain what the hell Mat damon was up to? That part made zero sense to me. Seemed like he was just nuts. Bah I really wanted to like this movie.

Krozman

N00b
Also why did the say they never send anyone into space that has emotional connections then decide to send a trespassing farmer, father of two children as humanities last hope? .
If they are desperate for a pilot its reasonable to assume they would sacrifice the emotional connection thing to get a good pilot. What doesn't hold water is that if they were so desperate for an experienced pilot, they would have known about him and come to him first prior to him stumbling upon NASA because of paradox.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I thought the exact same thing.

Also why did the say they never send anyone into space that has emotional connections then decide to send a trespassing farmer, father of two children as humanities last hope? Oh and a crazy woman who's love of her life is also out there stranded?

Also how is he drinking beer when corn is the only crop? Hops, malt ect, Should drink bourbon ?

Why did they hide Nasa? Seems like the end of the world is a great motivator to get funding and support to get to the space palace. Also, i would love someone to explain what the hell Mat damon was up to? That part made zero sense to me. Seemed like he was just nuts. Bah I really wanted to like this movie.
They believed the ones who put the wormhole there are the same ones that brought Cooper there. That's good enough reason to go with him despite him having a family.

Also, Matt Damon wasn't crazy. He was just a coward. He knew his planet wasn't viable so he faked the signal saying the planet was perfect in order to get rescued. It's ironic because he mentions earlier that most people put themselves before humanity which is exactly what he did.

As far as NASA goes, Alfred had decided the only possible way to save the human race was plan B. That's not something you advertise.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They hid NASA because everyone who wasn't NASA thought it was a waste of resources. They even said so. There would basically be a revolt if NASA was made public.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A few of you mentioned ejection seats. Completely plausible. NASA (real one) had discussed at-length having some type of ejection system post Challenger and Columbia disasters. It was eventually scrapped, but the idea was definitely considered. I would not at all be surprised if it is implemented in whatever launch / vehicle system comes next.

Space Shuttle abort modes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ejection escape system, sometimes called a launch escape system, had been discussed many times for the shuttle. After the Challenger and Columbia losses, great interest was expressed in this. All previous US manned space vehicles had launch escape systems, although none was ever used.

Ejection seat:

Modified Lockheed SR-71 ejection seats were installed on the first four shuttle flights (all two-man missions aboard Columbia) and removed afterwards.
Advanced Crew Escape Suit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To put everything into further context with Interstellar, that ship was also designed and to fly in and about varying atmospheres of different planets. That makes it absolutely plausible to have an ejection seat.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They hid NASA because everyone who wasn't NASA thought it was a waste of resources. They even said so. There would basically be a revolt if NASA was made public.
yea if you remember the part where dad goes to school and meets w/ the principal, the lady vice principal? basically said NASA is fake and shit and these are the new real books for our curiculum, something like that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Matt was driven nuts by his cowardice. Hewasa self confessed and self aware coward, but he was no longer entirely sane.

The insane part of it was that nothing he did made any real sense. He wanted to kill Matt for reasons. He didn't need to. He opened the airlock for reasons. He didn't need to. He had become subtly unhinged by the isolation and the fear.

But yeah, they could have spent that entire arc (like 30 minutes of the movie?) much more productively.

Finally got around to watching this and thought it was amazing.

The only part that really made me go "hmm" was the falling in to a black hole bit. As far as I understand it, from the perspective of outside observers it would take an infinite amount of time for someone to fall into a black hole. Once he got in... well bookshelves of the 5th dimension seemed quite plausible.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
RE-watched this again the other day and still love this film. Yes, it stretched believability at time, but man what a great sci-fi flick with an absolutely fantastic soundstrack.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I want to see this less after watching the Martian, is it worth getting a bluray when us on sale?