Interstellar (2014)

spronk

FPS noob
I think some people missed the plan A ... plan. It was a earth based space habitat/ark, looked about ... 5 miles long? and maybe 3 miles "wide", its the giant thing Tex was in at the end and the base NASA was working out of in Earth (or it was a bigger version of the NASA one, I really didn't get a sense of scale when Caine was giving the tour). It was underground, but meant to support ?millions? of people. Sir Caine's problem was that he couldn't get it out into space, and he needed to "solve gravity" and get data from within black holes to be able to get that hunk of junk into space. He didn't think he ever could so it was a dud plan in his mind.

So Murph and Tex solve the equations and presumably she figures out gravitrons and is able to send the ark flying around in space, we're just ignoring all the million other problems with having a generational arkship untethered to Earth like power, minerals, water, heat, disease, micro asteroids, etc. They park it around Saturn at some point in the 80 years that Tex is gone and it just chills there, sending out little ships to explore the wormhole. We sort of assume science kicks back into high gear and they develop nanotech, micro assembly, room temperature super semiconductors, etc that allow essentially infinite resource consumption.

Assuming future advancements they build more of those arks and slowly spread across the galaxy, and eventually evolve into higher dimensional beings who build tesseracts around black holes.

Why Tex has to sneak off at the end to visit Dr. Brand and why "The Rangers" (lol) wouldn't go help her out is a great mystery though. Maybe they hated the last Batman movie or something and wanted to see Catwoman die.

Do not go gently into that dark knight... - Alfred

Xevy

Log Wizard
Fucking spoiler tags evverrrywhere

The reason I believe they didn't go after Brand is that she just landed there. I don't know why people assume that Cooper is gone a long time from when he and Tars split from Brand. He could've been gone the same amount of time that we actually watched the movie. I don't recall them actually saying. So that means by the time all that shit is done it's already been ~80 years and the blackhole spit them out from wonder library rather quickly. I think Cooper just steals the ship because of that bullshit 'love' theme Nolan is trying to push. They'll obviously go after her, but Coop's loins are a-burnin' so he's got to go right damn now to show people he caaaaaaaares.

But as for my thought on the paradoxical loop, I didn't think about Brand actually succeeding on Mars2. If she did with her cryobabies she could've rebuilt the population and allowed super civilization to end up creating wonder library thousands or millions of years later.

I think it's retarded though his daughter told him the ghost was telling him to stay and then in the library he fucking sends the same exact message he disregarded, thinking maybe it'll take this time! Also brings up the loop problem though as old timey coop sees the messages that send him to become future coop who then tells old timey coop how to become future coop, etc., etc. etc. I think it makes the most sense in my mind the multiverse idea. In some timeline A Coop doesn't save Plan A folks with gravity theorem. But future people allow him to access Timeline B so now he can fix the gravity equation and everyone is a big happy family. I want to think that when his daughter recognizes the binary in the watch is when the wonder library starts to break because the actual timeline itself has altered and those "sole survivor cryobabies" are basically undone. Instead there's a new timeline with Plan A and Plan B both working so the future us that saved them ceased to exist.

MAYBE that's the 'save the species' thing he was going for. The future people basically erase themselves to create a future that saved more of the people in the past. There's the self-sacrifice in the name of the species that Dr. Mann could finally get behind!

Maybe I'm wrong. But I got an 98 in English lit in college, so YEAH FUCKING RIGHT

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
At first it was kind of hard for me to separate script from film as the script had none of these problems. But then i realized it's just like GoT vs ASOIAF and to take the medium as it was presented and not get butthurt about shit that was changed.
Pretty sure it's the descendants of Plan A that evolve into the higher life that intervene with coop in the black hole. They are starting out with all the knowledge of earth + all the knowledge of how to manipulate gravity given to them by Coop to his daughter via the future. Plan B are all cryobabies raised by brandt with no resources or technology or anything other than what she brought with them and what she can teach them. I mean they aren't starting back over as cavemen exactly but they aren't exactly super advanced either. Unless of course Coop eventually makes it back there, then they have the knowledge that coop gave the people of earth via his daughter, but they are still like 70 years behind and lack the resources and people to really jump start it like earth does.

Also I take it that the 90 years or whatever pass during their drop down to the first water planet (23 years) as well as during their time sling shotting around that blackhole at close to the speed of light(the rest), thus the same amount of time passes for both brandt and cooper. Cooper is ejected from the blackhole after only a few hours and time that passes there isn't really time at all so it's not like the extra 70 or whatever years are passing while he's in the blackhole. Thus it's feasible for him to get back to brandt in time to make a few cryobabies of his own, if you know what i mean.

Both the script and the film resolutions rely on time travel, specifically sending information back to the past in order to save the planet, via traveling through a blackhole. Time travel/blackholes is common enough scifi theme that it doesn't require too much suspension of disbelief. The film uses the Ghost Story thing, the script uses a device that manipulates gravity/is immune to its effects.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Loved the movie, but the scene where Hathaway was talking about how love transcended time and space had me rolling my eyes hard...
Haha, i wanted to take control of the black guy for a moment and make him say "What is that horseshit that just came out of your mouth, you dumb sloot? We're going after Mann."

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The thing alot of people forget is 90% of the people who see movies like this dont know the science behindit or even care, they are solely looking to be entertained. If youre sole critique is based on the science and it being impossible then youre likely the % of people they will just try their luck with.

It was a great movie, but was the science behind it 100%? nope - and dont really care - you cant get emotionally attached to science in a film.
I'd change 90% to 99.9%. I have a background in Physics and contemplating relativity still hurts my fucking head.

Awesome movie. Acting was great. Special Effects were top notch. The science was actually surprisingly good and accurate. Sure, it's science fiction but really much of what we know is conjecture until we comprehend those 4th and 5th dimensions!

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not really physics, just retardedness for suspension of disbelief that I can't reconcile, off the top of my head. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

A: Why did they need a massive, three stage rocket simply to take the landing craft into orbit of Earth, but on the water planet, which by memory was slightly higher in gravity than the Earth, they could achieve escape velocity in their shuttle?

B: Why in the flying flippity fuck would a planet with a significant mass be small enough and close enough to a black hole that they would experience such drastic relativistic force (as others have said, this would require their relative speed to be very nearly the speed of light), but they could park the main station nearby without any relativistic forces impacting it? How could they pop down to the planet from that distance as though they were going out for tea? They obviously seemed to anticipate the trip taking less than an hour, and even at three hours (23 years relatively), that's pretty much ZERO time to fly to/from the planet. Again - going out for milk, not embarking on a journey across a massive amount of space.

C: Why could they flit about this Gargantua 'system' with multiple seemingly natural planets in orbit around it, in the timeframes shown? The trip to Saturn took two years in hibernation, but the flow of the movie makes it feel like they can fly from place to place in 15 minutes.

And to suggest that you could skirt the event horizon to use it as a slingshot? I'm sorry, if you're near the event horizon, you're very nearly at the point where matter cannot physically exist and light cannot escape because of the immensity of the gravitational force. I don't care if the physics of slingshotting you out -would- work or not, that ship would have been crushed into atoms almost instantly at that distance.

Also, way too much of the cinematography felt like it was done by a GoPro. Really annoying.

Juvarisx

Florida
The "Go Pro" was a nod to 2001. In fact the part where they match spins is exactly that but done many times faster.

Anyways the science behind the movie got the pass by Neil Degrasse, and Kip Thorne so I guess I am not understanding the bitching, its probably the most hard science based sci-fi movie to come out in how long exactly?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Anyways the science behind the movie got the pass by Neil Degrasse, and Kip Thorne so I guess I am not understanding the bitching, its probably the most hard science based sci-fi movie to come out in how long exactly?
There's no fucking way. About the only thing accurate in this movie was the 2 year journey to Saturn. Everything else was just nonsensical nonsense.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
The "Go Pro" was a nod to 2001. In fact the part where they match spins is exactly that but done many times faster.

I don't see how flying into a black hole could ever get the nod for scientific accuracy. I know, I know, noone "really" knows what would happen in a singularity, but I'm pretty sure it would involve being unmade. Manipulating the past with gravity? This is Star Trek levels of silliness.

spronk

FPS noob
one thing i did enjoy

humans become even bigger assholes in the future, apparently. I guess we'll save humanity, but only after billions die of starvation. Oh, and instead of opening a wormhole to a nice star system with goldilock planets, lets send em to a black hole with 12 shitty planets!! Haha, and we'll make everything depend on a single dad and his 12 year old daughter, this is a good plan!

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just came back from seeing this and its def a great movie.
Simply Nolans version of 2001 (and quite some nods to it, loved that) and well on its way to become a classic.
I was watching and easily solver both first plot twist basically as characters were plotting them / appeared and was like meh this is shit if thats all you can come up with.
Man was i wrong since i didnt catch half of the twists in it. Imho Nolan also nailed it with sticking to 2D and not 3D as a more visial blown up movie would have distracted the (non scientific) audience even more.
Hans Zimmers Music was top notch too and i expect an oscar nomination for this.
Only letdown was Anne Hathaways character and i really hated her by the point she spew the love speech and just wished theyd go bazonka on all of her holes and then flush her out the airlock then.
Also didnt i read in the Science thread that some super computer models calculated a 9(?)-dimesional projection with gravity being probably able to transcend dimensions in this projection to be quite accurate to our reality?

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I enjoyed it. However I kept hearing this song in my head during some parts of the movie with some of their music.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Something about the juxtaposition between the epicness of interstellar travel and the pettiness of all the "I love muh kids!" human drama hurt the movie for me. It's like they can't go five minutes without reminding you how much Matthew Mcwhatever loves his family since the entire premise of the damn movie hinges on it.

I also felt that the jump from being on the farm to blasting off into space was a bit abrupt, a piece in between where they give some briefing, maybe introduce TARS functionality would have been nice.

I actually really liked some of the special effects, particularly the worm hole. It was subtle but realistic, and looks like it could be a figure in a Nature journal. I think they spent too much time on zoomed in shots of the hull of a rotating space craft throughout the movie though. That effect isn't visually impressive (this is first star wars level tech) and induces virago in a lot of viewers, particularly in IMAX. Gravity did the space craft scenes much better than this movie (although I acknowledge that was a much larger focus in Gravity).

While the candidate planets were bland, they were realistic and interesting in their own right. I would have liked to see more scientific background given about the weird characteristics of the water world while they were waiting around and more rooting around exploring a bit. A lot of nerds who go to see this kind of movie want details on the alien worlds.

Of course, I also got tired of looking at zoomed in 20 foot tall McWhatevers face for half the movie, but whatever.

Overall, a lot of the decisions in the movie make it feel a bit cheap and when combined with the length, the whole thing feels like early on project should have been reigned in and more focused.

The only scene I'm remotely interested in seeing again are the worm hole, the black hole (pre-bookshelf bullshit, the gravel on my window bit) and the water world scene (Rolling TARS).

6/10

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
TARS was awesome, I would watch a space movie of TARS just talking shit to the other astronauts.

Troll_sl

shitlord
It's rare to feel that a movie was madefor me.But this hit all the right chords. This may go down as being my favorite movie of all time.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah TARS and the other brobots stole a good chunk of the movie.

EDIT Reddit timeline:
interstellar-timeline-diagram.jpg