Interstellar (2014)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm fine with them adapting novels. How is that substantially different from developing a screenplay originally? Novels are often better. It's usually an unfortunate process of bad decisions when they adapt a novel. To this day the only book->movie adaptation I feel was actually an improvement is The Postman. That book is fucking tarded. But still, the movies adapted from books are solid stories regardless of the loss in translation.
Incorrect. "The Shawshank Redemption" is the best example of a movie being better than the book (or novella in this case).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fight Club was a lot better than the book if you ask me.

So was Gone Girl.

Why? David Fincher is amazing.

Northerner

N00b
Well, that was a kinda fun movie. I mean, it took Snowpiercer levels of suspension of disbelief and the third act rubbed me the wrong way but still, fun and at least worth watching if you are in the mood for it.

Doubt I'll ever watch it again though, in another mood the pseudo-science would drive me crazy.

Northerner

N00b
Which part?

Well, all of the relativity stuff was bullshit/doesn't work that way. All of the rocketry was ridiculously impossible. The cryogenics I guess can have a pass since every sci-fi flick uses it but at least they normally have some sort of recovery period. Pretty much everything to do with the black hole's system really was just tiny bits of science wrapped up in complete bullshit and yes, I mean before the plunge. The station's 'destruction', the relatively inertialess wave-slash-time-trap planet series of collisions were silly too.

I guess that was my real problem and even then I didn't mind it much. There **is** a lot of good science but it is just a thin veneer on piles of complete bullshit. I'm fine with the bullshit but they didn't need to dress it up in almost science. Even Thorne admits this a bit and he's being paid to pretend the science is all kinds of sciencey. It isn't.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
A lot of it was. Just because he got part of the black hole thingie right doesn't mean there aren't a shitton of problems.

Main one that bugged me is that they used a big ass rocket to get off Earth and then they had flying taxis for the new planets. Also, there's no way to generate that kind of waves on the time-shift planet, to get the tidal forces necessary for that kind of wave you'd need two very big things to pull at it and you got only one (the blackhole). Also, if 1h = 7 years, then the message sent from that planet would come it at 1/60000 the normal speed making it obvious what to expect long before they left Earth.

Not even gonna touch the going into the blackhole, communicating with the past and all that crap.

A quick google will provide a lot more. If they wanted to make a scientifically accurate movie, they should make sure everything is, not just what they could squeeze in.

Northerner

N00b
Ha! I get negged more on this bullshit than ever from Noows? I openly trolled Pardo, Kaplan and Afrasiabi back when and although there were some mitigating circumstances, you are not them.

Show yourself cowards and I'll destroy your fake science arguments. Well, that or sink into the abyss (which was far better science) and care even less than I do now.

Juvarisx

Florida
I doubt anyone here is qualified to argue about theoretical physics on a meaningful level here, yourself included. It was beaten to death when the movie came out by actual physicists, and here as well by clearly not physicists. Some of it was good, some bad, most theoretical so its pointless to argue about unless you are in that field.

Anyways this movies point was to entertain, so if it did that it succeeded regardless if you think the science is wrong or not.

Oh I listened to the score of this film randomly on YouTube yesterday, it may just win the Oscar for that category, its pretty damn impressive.

Brad2770

So, it's not possible the large rocket needed to leave earth was carrying supplies, food, fuel for the entire mini space station/mission?

Oh I listened to the score of this film randomly on YouTube yesterday, it may just win the Oscar for that category, its pretty damn impressive.
Coward
Mountains
Cornfield Chase
No Time for Caution

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to watching this. All I have to say is that the movie is enjoyable, and I absolutely loved that they made no effort to make TARS even remotely sound/act like a robot might act. TARS was a bro.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
TARS was a true fucking bro. Hardcore and shit.

I teared up when he was reunited with his daughter. Maybe it was the vodka, I don't know, that shit was touching though.

It was a good movie. I don't think it was meant o be a science lesson.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, I just ignore the science haters the same way I ignored the kids in high school who explained star trek science.

The story hooked me, that's all I care about.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TARS wasn't that much of a bro! One minor beef I had was that the robot got in the vehicle on water planet BEFORE the guy who got killed. My memory isnt the best, but I would have thought his programming would have been human lives > himself and he would have aided him into the ship first. Obviously I need to watch the scene again, as I haven't seen it since the theater. I just remember thinking wtf to myself at the time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That dude was just stumbling around looking at the scenery with no sense of urgency. He got the the ship and then stood around watching instead of getting on board. TARS made the right decision, cull that dude from the gene pool.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
TARS was carrying Anne Hathaway if I remember correctly to the ship and why he got there before the one that died.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Apologies for both the bump (just watched this yesterday) and for a question that might have already been asked but... where did they get the alcohol from they seem to merrily sip in this movie? There are numerous scenes with them sitting on the porch necking bottles of beer and in NASA clinking glasses of scotch. I mean, in a world with no barley and presumably limited water they do a good job at maintaining an alcohol industry.

And, while it was achingly obvious it was going to be Cooper manipulating the bookshelf the reveal on how he did it left me utterly shaking my head. Still, memorable sci-fi of old never had to be a slave to the laws of physics so taking that into account it was a fairly decent story. No idea where the time went though, the movie could have been half as long and still covered all the salient plot points.