Investing General Discussion

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Being extremely paper hands, I have no idea where oil is headed and guessing anyone that says they do don't either. Made 25% on an oil etf over the last 3 weeks. Took my profits out and left the rest. I bought some other when the oil price was liteally negative for 1/2 a day. I haven't taken anything out of that yet. I keep waiting for a big crash but when Biden ask oil companies for help lowering gas prices I know it's bad.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm increasingly skittish about the stock market lately, too many storm clouds on the horizon. Inflation, shortages, high demand, high joblessness, constant bad news out of the white house on every part of the economy, I just want to park most of my money in the safest place. I'm sure there will be millionaires made during all this though, but my interest is more on the side of preservation.
During periods of elevated inflation cash is not exactly safe. Again the market is aware of all of your concerns, in fact it’s far more aware of them in total than you are, but despite that you should only take risk that you are comfortable with. The question is whether your perceived risks are the drivers of returns you believe them to be or if they are out weighed by other factors like maybe a tsunami of liquidity for example.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have no real reason to think I know what I'm doing when it comes to stocks. I'm way up overall, but I've made some big mistakes too. I'm one of the morons who bought one of the stocks that John McAfee was shilling for back when any stock with "blockchain" was going to the moon. Mine came back from the moon, with laser holes. My more rational picks like AMD have paid off more than enough to cover my losses.

I'm increasingly skittish about the stock market lately, too many storm clouds on the horizon. Inflation, shortages, high demand, high joblessness, constant bad news out of the white house on every part of the economy, I just want to park most of my money in the safest place. I'm sure there will be millionaires made during all this though, but my interest is more on the side of preservation.
Go read the advice I gave Mist Mist above. Buy market index ETF and go overweight the bluest of the blue chips and then look at it once a year. Allowing your emotions to tell you to sell because "feels" is damaging your returns. When the market was "cratering" the last couple weeks and the doom and groomers were out I was buying quality names. Needless to say, it worked out OK for me.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrote covered calls. I buy them back near the end of the week if the stock price is above my strike and sell them for next week at a higher strike for more profit.
Ohhh. So you buy to close when they get to pennies. Perfect. I saw you saying buying the stock and thought you were trading naked.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Being extremely paper hands, I have no idea where oil is headed and guessing anyone that says they do don't either. Made 25% on an oil etf over the last 3 weeks. Took my profits out and left the rest. I bought some other when the oil price was liteally negative for 1/2 a day. I haven't taken anything out of that yet. I keep waiting for a big crash but when Biden ask oil companies for help lowering gas prices I know it's bad.
If you like oil and the energy sector follow @Chigrl on Twitter. She is an oil trader. Knows her stuff and keeps things at a generally high level for the masses.

Last edited:

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im riding CLF up to earnings so I cant take advantage of the ETF but the companies in the ETF are going to get pumped so hard and with BTC up and starting to hit that resistance...

It's like sprinkling miracle grow on your trees roots before cutting it down lol.

1634404660259.png

BTC needs this more than the market does.

If you want exposure I would wait for the dust to settle, after the IPO of $COIN you gotta have balls of steel to buy in at the open.

There's just so much hype, you know people are already planning to sell after the pop.

1634404855420.png

1634404864808.png

Just my uneducated opinion.

Bitcoin might go to 75k based on charts and thats a big resistance level that is already getting bounced off of but 100k isn't in the cards without a direct BTC investment and as far as I know the ETF is a collection of stocks exposed to BTC so...

An approved ETF is very bullish for BTC though, more adoption is always good but until the green flag is raised for the big money to start pouring in with direct exposure, it's still on the backburner.

Tune in next week when we can see how much liquidity gets sucked out of the market for FOMO.

Borzak

If you like oil and the energy sector follow @Chigrl on Twitter. She is an oil trader. Knows her stuff and keeps things at a generally high level for the masses.

I get shitloads of stuff from inside the industry short term forecast from a number of executives. Some price related and a lot related to what shape they are in for extended maintence on the refinery/chem plant side. Nobody knows and everyone knows less than I've ever seen them guess at in the last 30 years.

Borzak

I'm not really oil. I just picked it up on an upturn when I had some extra cash in that account. In the past all my actual investments related to oil were done on a personal/small business level and not publicly traded.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mixing politics and investing usually doesn't work out. We are a few % from an all time high and appear to have just come out of a corrective period.
Pay attention to what Blazin said. People lose so much money because they don't like the administration. I remember people selling everything they had with Obama and losing a ton when things got back to normal. The business I bought, I got a a 20% discount because the seller was a Conservative and thought Obama was going to be the end of American Capitalism.

Its an overreaction.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DIS getting pummeled on a downgrade to "equal-weight". Anything under $170 should be an entry for anyone looking to grab some.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Let's Go Brandon!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Put an order in to grab some T at $25.25. Total crap shoot ahead of earnings this week. I figure selling covered calls against it should hedge against what I perceive to be no more than a 5% drop since people already bailed after the div capture.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
HD and CRM racked up more 52 highs today. NVDA about 4% from a new high. Money chasing the companies they expect to crush earnings.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Z getting buttfucked because they suck at flipping homes. Feels good man.

• 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Foreclosures were up 24% in Sept month over month. Gee.. eviction moratoriums are a funny thing.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users