Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's tempting but 8% yield on a big well known name like this means the market is telling us something is coming and it isn't good. Now it appears a lot of people waited for the last dividend then dumped, but chart is ugly don't need to catch the exact bottom of a long term divy hold. If it is going to stabilize then we'll see a lot of improvement in the moving averages and it would still likely be below $28/share
The current 8% isn't staying. I am assuming a 50% cut to 4%. But I am also factoring in the Discovery shares that will come with the spinoff and the dividend those will pay.

edit: T isn't going away anytime soon. A lower debt T is a better proposition than its current debt laden trash. In the current interest environment, a safe 4-6% yield isn't the worst thing around.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice to see my swing trades on the airlines come back, as Biden is opening up international travel on 11-8, covid is dropping, and UAL just opened up the largest amount of international routes in history. I knew this would be a choppy trade, but wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Speaking of dividends....I bought 200 shares of Sunoco in January for about $30/ share. Its at $42/ share today and has been paying an 8.2% dividend.

• 5Tendies
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice to see my swing trades on the airlines come back, as Biden is opening up international travel on 11-8, covid is dropping, and UAL just opened up the largest amount of international routes in history. I knew this would be a choppy trade, but wasn't expecting it to be this bad.
The trade plan was sound on Airlines. Living with my Brit wife in the UK, we knew exactly what the Delta wave looked like months earlier. It would hit hard and fast in the unvaccinated, then run out of steam a few months later. As soon as the doom and gloom hit the US market about Delta (variant) I was buying in from ~37.50 through 40s. It chopped around a very distinct range, of which I posted on this thread a while back. July-August on DAL (Delta Airlines) you could have bought and sold the top and bottom of that range multiple times, which I did and talked about. "Trading in the range". NCLH chart was almost identical, as the two were both being hindered by the same catalysts.

We finally got the break out in September, which was nice, but we got blindsided by the fuel crisis. If it weren't for the energy crisis, I would have had a profit target of at least ~$50 on DAL. Instead we fizzled out at ~$46 and have been coming back down to earth as the fuel costs soar.

Not a bad trade plan whatsoever, bud. Just had another external factor that limited the short term profits. If you had bought and sold the range for the last 2+ months, there was easily another 6-8 full points of profit in it.

These are the trades you want to look back and study the charts and learn from.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DAL2.JPG
nclh.JPG

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The trade plan was sound on Airlines. Living with my Brit wife in the UK, we knew exactly what the Delta wave looked like months earlier. It would hit hard and fast in the unvaccinated, then run out of steam a few months later. As soon as the doom and gloom hit the US market about Delta (variant) I was buying in from ~37.50 through 40s. It chopped around a very distinct range, of which I posted on this thread a while back. July-August on DAL (Delta Airlines) you could have bought and sold the top and bottom of that range multiple times, which I did and talked about. "Trading in the range". NCLH chart was almost identical, as the two were both being hindered by the same catalysts.

We finally got the break out in September, which was nice, but we got blindsided by the fuel crisis. If it weren't for the energy crisis, I would have had a profit target of at least ~$50 on DAL. Instead we fizzled out at ~$46 and have been coming back down to earth as the fuel costs soar.

Not a bad trade plan whatsoever, bud. Just had another external factor that limited the short term profits. If you had bought and sold the range for the last 2+ months, there was easily another 6-8 full points of profit in it.

Yeah I made my tendies writing puts on DAL at each dip down around $38.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

I definitely learned a lot from this trade. I got so focused on one factor (covid) and completely ignored another (oil and gas). I didn't stop it out, I never stop out my swing trades.

I think we'll get a break in gas and oil here pretty soon. I put a trailing stop on my oil trades, because I think we see a correction here pretty soon.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Guess he learned the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I sold about 2/3's of my stocks today. I'm down to a single tech stock that is up like 300% since I bought it. Does anyone else have a feeling of impending doom with the stock market? I'm expecting that the Democrats/WH are incapable of course correcting their insane mandate, which are about to tank the economy if not stopped immediately.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I sold about 2/3's of my stocks today. I'm down to a single tech stock that is up like 300% since I bought it. Does anyone else have a feeling of impending doom with the stock market? I'm expecting that the Democrats/WH are incapable of course correcting their insane mandate, which are about to tank the economy if not stopped immediately.
Mixing politics and investing usually doesn't work out. We are a few % from an all time high and appear to have just come out of a corrective period. The market is fully aware of who is in the white house and what actions they are taking. There is no reason to predict the future. Trade what is in front of you, which is growing earnings. If the dynamics change then change with them, this idea of guessing the future is not going to work out. Just be comfortable that you won't get out at the top but will capture the gains by sticking with the trend.

Market dynamics may change and you very well might be down 10% from a high when you get out and you won't be upset about that if it drops another 40-50%. The trend is up all moving averages are nicely stacked and pointed up. When that changes, then it may be time to be concerned. What edge do you have over the total aggregate market knowledge? The market will have notable symptoms when it's getting tired and sick, credit will tighten, advance decline line will weaken, fast moving averages will move below the slower ones. These things can happen quickly but they haven't happened yet and far more money is lost trying to jump the gun than is lost waiting for the signals to arrive.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Feel free to read the myriad of posts in this thread on market timing.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Feel free to read the myriad of posts in this thread on market timing.
I have no real reason to think I know what I'm doing when it comes to stocks. I'm way up overall, but I've made some big mistakes too. I'm one of the morons who bought one of the stocks that John McAfee was shilling for back when any stock with "blockchain" was going to the moon. Mine came back from the moon, with laser holes. My more rational picks like AMD have paid off more than enough to cover my losses.

I'm increasingly skittish about the stock market lately, too many storm clouds on the horizon. Inflation, shortages, high demand, high joblessness, constant bad news out of the white house on every part of the economy, I just want to park most of my money in the safest place. I'm sure there will be millionaires made during all this though, but my interest is more on the side of preservation.