Investing General Discussion

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
Follow up question for my day traders & swing traders.

Do you use any discords or other trading communities? These are worthless to a long term investor but I'm starting to wonder if they can be effective for day trades (or swings.)

My buddy who got me into investing runs one but I am cheap and wont shell out the sub.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit is that the short then your cover? You use hotkeys?

Edit: I ask because a book Im in the middle of on day trading said the trades occur lightnng fast and with hotkeys to lock in.
As great of a platform that TDA is, it really isnt great for day trades. First off, they are selling for order flow (thats your commission "free" trades). On top of this, it is well known to lag a bit on market open. As well as Fidelity and others.

Lightspeed is a professional platform, but youre going to pay in commissions and ECN fees. However, you can choose routing directly to the exchanges. Zero middle men and the executions are lightning fast.. hence the name. When I press a hotkey, my finger doesn't even start to lift off the key and the entire order has executed.

All of that said, unless you are already profitable with some strategy / trading edge.. you're going to get eaten alive in fees. Perhaps use something like ToS or even ToS paper trades. Get consistent before you start shelling out for top tier platforms like eSignal and Lightspeed.

My setup:

Brokers:
Fidelity Active Trader Pro: 401k
TDA Think or Swim: Swing Trades + Roth IRA (diff accts)
Lightspeed: Day Trades exclusively

Charting: eSignal
Liquidity (Level2): Bookmap
Trade Logs: Tradervue
News: Trade the News (66% off through Lightspeed), Benzinga Squawk (free ToS feed)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Follow up question for my day traders & swing traders.

Do you use any discords or other trading communities? These are worthless to a long term investor but I'm starting to wonder if they can be effective for day trades (or swings.)

My buddy who got me into investing runs one but I am cheap and wont shell out the sub.
Christ no. Those are basically pump and dump clubs. The leaders of those hacks are positioned before they call something out, then sell on the call out bump. Typically trading low float / penny stocks that move with little volume. They are the modern day email / phone text clubs of yesteryear.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Am I just an idiot or am I missing something with ThinkorSwim? I can make it show the S&P heat map, but cant get it to go inot settings (it says right click, but it aint working) and the heatmap isnt updating in real-time. It just keeps showing the same prices, like its just a capture of a heatmap at the moment I click on it.

Molten Core Raider
I've dabbled in a few of them since I first started trading (mostly out of curiosity). I do not currently pay for any though. My take on it was finding a group that trades the same way you do is pretty hard, and (as I think someone else pointed out here) trading someone elses style can be... messy.

One I got in had a HUGE risk tolerance (penny market) and would just buy in where something was whenever he decided it was gonna run. He was often right, just not always at the right time. I managed to make some money off him by just watching and buying in where I *felt* the support levels were, his discord eventually imploded.

I found another playing an interesting take on the wave concept with pennies and a scale in/scale out system. Worked REALLY well for a little while. Then it didnt.

*note* I emphasized "felt", cause I was (and probably still am, too stupid to understand all this stuff)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wasn't 'sky is falling', I'm looking at the best entry points to add to my Roth. Buy the dips and all that, just which one is all.
If it's a Roth, just buy whenever.

30 years from now it's not going to matter if you bought at x or x plus/minus 10%.

Even now that I'm retired, these moves don't mean much. I'm not liquidating my entire portfolio. If I have to withdraw like 3 years in a row when it's down, sure, that starts to hurt, but overall taking out 3-4% when the market is down a bit is completely insignificant. Min/maxing your portfolio will drive you to an early grave from the stress.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was part of a free one and it looked fucking stupid to me.
As Jysin said at worst theyre all pump and dumps and youre being setup to hold someone's bag or at best youre just paying some guy money to get the same exact info you could get here or any other open forum that discusses stocks.
One I got in had a HUGE risk tolerance (penny market) and would just buy in where something was whenever he decided it was gonna run. He was often right, just not always at the right time. I managed to make some money off him by just watching and buying in where I *felt* the support levels were, his discord eventually imploded.
All pump and dumps eventually implode.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
Christ no. Those are basically pump and dump clubs. The leaders of those hacks are positioned before they call something out, then sell on the call out bump. Typically trading low float / penny stocks that move with little volume. They are the modern day email / phone text clubs of yesteryear.
Word, thank you. The free one I was a part of felt this way. In addition the leader liked to brag about "how easy the market is" which is fucking dangerous for more reason than one.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok how about a different question. How do I start, advertise, and run one of these channels?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Molten Core Raider
1. go on stocktwits, post huge gains, brag about how you knew exactly what was gonna happen, then spam your discord channel!
2. ???
3. Profit

Some of those people are making a killing fleecing people too. 40-50 bucks a month is the norm from what I have seen.

• 1Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
1. go on stocktwits, post huge gains, brag about how you knew exactly what was gonna happen, then spam your discord channel!
2. ???
3. Profit

Some of those people are making a killing fleecing people too. 40-50 bucks a month is the norm from what I have seen.
Bonus points when the trade is a paper trade.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TSLA is too easy to short on a day like this. $1,634 profit in 27 minutes. Market is not liking the insider selling by Elon's brother. Musk tweeting a poll on selling is all that was needed to put doubt in the bulls' minds.

View attachment 381331

View attachment 381333
Not trying to call some BS forum drama... but .. maybe I am.

ToS has restricted TSLA short trades without utilizing their HTB program for as far back as I can remember (well back into 2021). Today you claim you can't short TSLA and didn't even know the HTB program existed.

Shonuff Shonuff Are you masquerading as a profitable trader with a paper trade account?

• 1Mother of God