Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
These rally’s are confusing. I expected some small ones here and there but these daily large ones are..,wtf? Everything in business is going to shit and the market doesn’t care lol

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My retirement fund does plenty of that. I'm doubling contributions there, and dodged the first 20% down.

This is my play account where I like to roll the dice.

Keeps it interesting. Not going to throw all my cash at it, but maybe 100 shares as a pot odds gamble.
I get it. I dont agree but I get it. I dont view trading as gambling. I analyze data and make trades based on risk vs reward. When I want to gamble I go to Mohegan Sun and at least get free drinks while I do it.

If you want to gamble I would gamble on M. At least it has real estate assets worth a couple of billion and can pivot into a RE play.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
These rally’s are confusing. I expected some small ones here and there but these daily large ones are..,wtf? Everything in business is going to shit and the market doesn’t care lol
JPM said this morning there is 750 billion sitting on the sidelines in money market accounts. Retail investors want to invest. They just need the herd to go with them to make them feel safe doing it. FOMO to some degree.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also forgot to add this. Consider the largest market cap companies. They are nearly all tech based. The ones not impacted by advertising revenue declines are going to be damaged the least by this. Its my main reason for feeling MSFT is the safest play there is. And AMZN. Since they hold the largest weights in the index ETFs they are pulling everything else up with them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I get it. I dont agree but I get it. I dont view trading as gambling. I analyze data and make trades based on risk vs reward. When I want to gamble I go to Mohegan Sun and at least get free drinks while I do it.

If you want to gamble I would gamble on M. At least it has real estate assets worth a couple of billion and can pivot into a RE play.

I don't buy things I wouldn't personally use.

I get it's a great buy on paper, but it conflicts with that core tenet for me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Well in my adventures in learning options I just bought a call on Disney for $115 until January 2021, if it ever hits 122 I am making money!
I sold DIS puts at 95 last week. It executed as it ended below 95 on Friday. So monday i sold some calls at 95, and if it ends above 95 on friday its free money.

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Pops

JPM said this morning there is 750 billion sitting on the sidelines in money market accounts. Retail investors want to invest. They just need the herd to go with them to make them feel safe doing it. FOMO to some degree.
My hole is now at 1%. With zirp and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the only game in town is the market.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Never know what will happen tomorrow with this market. Biden and trump could come down with covid together and bernie reactivates his campaign. It'd be 3 limit breaks if that shit happened.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wheres this gonna go though? Many big companies who arent in the ass fucked industries like tourism/hospitality/entertainment are already back at their late January levels.

Microsoft, Tesla, Nvidia, INTC, Amazon etc.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
QQQ already back to Dec 19 levels. I sold some calls against position, we are now far more overpriced than we were at the ATH. While the Nasdaq 100 will fair well they are definitely going to take an earnings hit, I'm thinking somewhere in the 10-15% range at minimum. We managed to close above the 200d ma today, while SPY is still 25 pts away to give an idea of the out performance.

Calls are 4/17 exp $205 Strike sold at $3.50 . I picked $205 because around expiration that should be where the 50 da sma should be sitting.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
QQQ already back to Dec 19 levels. I sold some calls against position, we are now far more overpriced than we were at the ATH. While the Nasdaq 100 will fair well they are definitely going to take an earnings hit, I'm thinking somewhere in the 10-15% range at minimum. We managed to close above the 200d ma today, while SPY is still 25 pts away to give an idea of the out performance.

Calls are 4/17 exp $205 Strike sold at $3.50 . I picked $205 because around expiration that should be where the 50 da sma should be sitting.
Yeah this may not be a V recovery, but I can almost guarantee it isnt going to be some long drawn out 12-18 month recovery either. Even with my anchors of XOM and M that I had prior to the crash, I am now down less than 7% total in my main portfolio and my smaller brokerage account is up about 4%. Companies with major defense/federal govt contracts have done exceedingly well. LMT, LDOS for example.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wheres this gonna go though? Many big companies who arent in the ass fucked industries like tourism/hospitality/entertainment are already back at their late January levels.

Microsoft, Tesla, Nvidia, INTC, Amazon etc.
My guess is mosy of it will go back into indexed ETFs or indexed mutual. This will have the net effect of pushing up the FAANG/MAGA stocks up near their 52 highs due to their weighting in the indexes.

Pops

CPLP a containership MLP. Pays a 1.4 div currently 7.5. Finally woke up.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Got out of AAL today at break even after y'all's posts. Rode the CCL train for a bit this afternoon but it pretty much held even after like 1pm. Exited and made $50, whoop ti doo. Last week I got on GOOG upswing and made $500. Bought SBUX right before it dipped, then exited at break even. Waiting for another heavy down day at this point

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Do you have a method of choosing entry/exit points or are you just throwing darts? If you don't, 30 minutes on YouTube will give you the basics on reading resistance and support technical levels which help. Same with DMA lines.

• 1Like

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Mostly darts. I'm looking at the 52 week low, and trying to snipe when something approaches that March 23rd number. Mostly a fool's game, but I don't know how much resistance and support technical levels are going to give a read over a few days time. If these were longer investments and I was planning on being in them for the hopeful full recovery and upswing after November, I would be doing more research and scrounging the financial data. But these are just day or two trades between the major up and down swings. If this was a relatively steady market, I wouldn't be and haven't been touching day trading.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
View attachment 261231View attachment 261232

Did someone say retest? Haha. Things are so screwed up, time to rally!
Don't be so frothy just yet. 24 minutes until unemployment numbers. I am seeing a lot of analysts saying this weeks number will be less than last weeks. If the concensus is less then we are fucked because I am sure the number is going to be bigger. And tomorrow the market is closed.