Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sad part is, tom lee is headed right in her foot steps.

Market changes, some people just can't adapt. Some people double down and lose a lot of money.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sad part is, tom lee is headed right in her foot steps.

Market changes, some people just can't adapt. Some people double down and lose a lot of money.
Shonuff kept posting Tom Lee “everything rally / all in” cnbc clips when a few of us were warning and skeptical when the market dynamics were shifting. It’s easy being a bull in the 2020/21 run.

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
Youre Kidding Are You Serious GIF by Snowfall
He's not totally wrong. Besides 2 bad swing trades that went downhill, I'm primarily in the red from buying her overpriced junk. (Fun Cathie fact - she's a devout christian hence "Arkk" for the story of the Ark.)

So yeah haha, screw her! But the reality is folks like me got duped / fucked and now I get to wait 2 to 10+ years to get my money back. Yeah, haha. 🙄

Last edited:

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
I'm currently watching FSLY and have taken a decent position with it being down in pre market. Could be a nice long term win. I can share dossier for DD but it's super fucking long so ask in PMs. I could spoiler it but only if interest.
Here is a great example. A post of mine from a year ago to this day. Not two months into trading and I thought, "Oh wow this due diligence must be really good. This is a great prospect." So it seemed like I did my homework.

FSLY 02/18/2021 - $80.20
FSLY 02/18/2022 - $19.20

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He's not totally wrong. Besides 2 bad swing trades that went downhill, I'm primarily in the red from buying her overpriced junk. (Fun Cathie fact - she's a devout christian hence "Arkk" for the story of the Ark.)

So yeah haha, screw her! But the reality is folks like me got duped / fucked and now I get to wait 2 to 10+ years to get my money back. Yeah, haha. 🙄
Just like no one is always right on their picks, no one is always wrong either (except for Gartman and now Rajaah Rajaah :trollface: ). Kathy did legitimately hit some winners and was in "supergrowth" at what may been the final melt-up of a bull market.

I am not down on Cathie for being a growth bull, i am down on her because since the "stonks only go up" phase appears to have ended, her day-trading style is being proven out to be a really shitty investing model. And the fact that CNBC keeps pumping her on TV like she is blowing them under the table between visits. She isn't good and the media refuse to call her out because "woman power".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I truly believe in PLTR. Not saying it will ever be MSFT or GOOG but its moat is insanely protected and the gubmint really needs their software. Karp and company just need to continue to prove to businesses the software has value to them. They have moved a third of their revenue to business clients from the gubmint. This is key along with turning a profit (which they are close to). I got in at the floor so holding it the next ten years is very low risk for me. And Thiel is like the only non Liberal Tech billionaire around. I gotta back the guy.

• 1Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
Just like no one is always right on their picks, no one is always wrong either (except for Gartman and now Rajaah Rajaah :trollface: ). Kathy did legitimately hit some winners and was in "supergrowth" at what may been the final melt-up of a bull market.

I am not down on Cathie for being a growth bull, i am down on her because since the "stonks only go up" phase appears to have ended, her day-trading style is being proven out to be a really shitty investing model. And the fact that CNBC keeps pumping her on TV like she is blowing them under the table between visits. She isn't good and the media refuse to call her out because "woman power".
Can add me to that list now, I am struggling to think of anything that actually did very well. Which is why I'm butt hurt. I'm not white-knighting Kathy. As stated, I hate her, and my avatar is a meme. But when I keep seeing folks taking a dump (and it isn't just here - FINTWIT trashes her as well,) I have trouble disconnecting her dogshit from my dogshit.

As far as trolling bad picks I totally get it. I shit all over Ophir Gottlieb's twitter because he promoted a lot of these garbage ass stocks as well. He blocked me, but I wish I could find his "Roku is a $500 dollar stock" tweet.

Basically I just want a time machine either backward to fix this fucking mess or forwards to a time where I'm not battling everyday to burn more cash. Oh well as I say.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Here is a great example. A post of mine from a year ago to this day. Not two months into trading and I thought, "Oh wow this due diligence must be really good. This is a great prospect." So it seemed like I did my homework.

FSLY 02/18/2021 - $80.20
FSLY 02/18/2022 - $19.20
Funny thing about the markets, it really is very Darwinian. Investors must evolve their trading strategy to match the changes in the markets. Or go broke. Super high growth works great when people can borrow at basically 0% interest. Its all about the future Benjamins. I can go back a few hundred pages to people making fun of "Boomer" stocks that had shit like "positive earnings" and "actual positive cash flows". As the market conditions shift don't be surprised as investor cash shifts to those Boomer stocks and all of a sudden things like EPS, PE <cough, cough>, EBITDA, Long term debt etc become a little more important.

All of the above is basically saying be aware of the market shifts and dont be afraid to take profits. If it looks too good to be true put that shit in your pocket and walk away fat and happy.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Basically I just want a time machine either backward to fix this fucking mess or forwards to a time where I'm not battling everyday to burn more cash. Oh well as I say.
My advice to you is the same I give to 99% of the folks here. Walk away from the hit a homerun style and invest long term in high quality, strong balance sheet, blue chips. And then add to them when they show weakness and dont be afraid to trim some profit if they run super hot down the road.

These are the types of stocks i mention here. For example i went into HD on 2/1/2021 (i avoided it during the Black Monday crash and wanted to see how it recovered during the shutdown. Even after it peaked and fell back its still +33% for the year. 23 PE, $15 EPS and a 2% dividend yield.

1645192541316.png

UNH is another one. I actually bought and held it and then dumped it for 50% profits and then got back in it and I am up another 20%. 26 PE, $18 EPS and over a 1% dividend yield.
And of course their is ABBV. Everyone in the world wants to find the next FB or GOOG or AAPL on the ground floor. Including me. But the thing is the AAPL/MSFT/GOOG etc are still better investments today than 95% of the stocks in the entire market. Shit I am adding to MSFT recently because those dollars at $290 a share are a better investment than nearly anything else. Better the devil you know than the devil you dont. Unless the devil is named PYPL.

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
All of the above is basically saying be aware of the market shifts and dont be afraid to take profits. If it looks too good to be true put that shit in your pocket and walk away fat and happy.
I mean this is part of the frustration. I've calculated like.... nearly 10k in unrealized gains I left on the table?

RBLX - $667.20 Peak.
NVTA - $626.23 Peak.
ONDS - $167.27 Peak.
FTCH - $86.65 Peak.
PINS - $268.25 Peak.
CURI - $306.14 Peak.
ROKU - $697.07 Peak.
JMIA - $40.56 Peak.
KMPH - $6,000 Peak. (This one turned into like $714.32 in realized gains. I stupidly said "Why not 200%?" Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered.)
NLS - $834.68 Peak. (Caught this one one the way down in $656.57 in realized.)

So this comes out to $9037.48 in unrealized gains left on the table. Since these are the all time high-profits for my positions let's assume I wouldn't sell at the top everytime. Even a 20-30% shave is still $7229.98 - 6326.23. So even that range is not the kind of profit we want to be leaving on the table (considering this would DOUBLE my realized total gains.) So if I'd taken profit, and cut losses (both things I'm struggling with) all of the sudden all doesn't seem so hopeless.

Going back through these I'm noticing right from the get go I got introduced to a bunch of green. I think this screwed me thinking making money is easier. Well, a year later I learned. On the topic of learning I've read "How to Day Trade for a Living." I'm currently working through "The Little Book of Investing" (Which you yourself recommended John Bogle.) I have another book lined up to read as well. I've watched a 2.5 hour video on options I took 4 pages of notes on. I've read through a quarter of this thread (there is a SHITLOAD of content so it takes awhile.)

Point is I'm trying. Thanks for reading this far.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
My advice to you is the same I give to 99% of the folks here. Walk away from the hit a homerun style and invest long term in high quality, strong balance sheet, blue chips. And then add to them when they show weakness and dont be afraid to trim some profit if they run super hot down the road.

These are the types of stocks i mention here. For example i went into HD on 2/1/2021 (i avoided it during the Black Monday crash and wanted to see how it recovered during the shutdown. Even after it peaked and fell back its still +33% for the year. 23 PE, $15 EPS and a 2% dividend yield.

View attachment 399058

UNH is another one. I actually bought and held it and then dumped it for 50% profits and then got back in it and I am up another 20%. 26 PE, $18 EPS and over a 1% dividend yield.
And of course their is ABBV. Everyone in the world wants to find the next FB or GOOG or AAPL on the ground floor. Including me. But the thing is the AAPL/MSFT/GOOG etc are still better investments today than 95% of the stocks in the entire market. Shit I am adding to MSFT recently because those dollars at $290 a share are a better investment than nearly anything else. Better the devil you know than the devil you dont. Unless the devil is named PYPL.
You've provided this advice, and I've followed through on some of it (Hi MSFT, FTEC, and NVDA positions.) Ironically, I considered buying a bunch of your boomer stuff back in February 2021. Guess what? My buddies who got me into it basically laughed it off. Yeah, guess who'd be having the last laugh if I'd followed those PTs you put out then? I'm too lazy to find it and find the current stock prices but let's just assume they're going up. :)

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean this is part of the frustration. I've calculated like.... 10k in unrealized gains I left on the table?

RBLX - $667.20 Peak.
NVTA - $626.23 Peak.
ONDS - $167.27 Peak.
FTCH - $86.65 Peak.
PINS - $268.25 Peak.
CURI - 306.14 Peak.
ROKU - $697.07 Peak.
JMIA - $40.56 Peak.
KMPH - $6,000 Peak. (This one turned into like $714.32 in realized gains. I stupidly said "Why not 200%?" Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered.
NLS - $834.68 Peak. (Caught this one one the way down in $656.57 in realized.)

So this comes out to $9037.48 in unrealized gains left on the table. Since these are the all time high-profits for my positions let's assume I wouldn't sell at the top everytime. Even a 20-30% shave is still $7229.98 - 6326.23. So even that range is not the kind of profit we want to be leaving on the table (considering this would DOUBLE my realized total gains.) So if I'd taken profit, and cut losses (both things I'm struggling with) all of the sudden all doesn't seem so hopeless.

Going back through these I'm noticing right from the get go I got introduced to a bunch of green. I think this screwed me thinking making money is easier. Well, a year later I learned. On the topic of learning I've read "How to Day Trade for a Living." I'm currently working through "The Little Book of Investing" (Which you yourself recommended John Bogle.) I have another book lined up to read as well. I've watched a 2.5 hour video on options I took 4 pages of notes on. I've read through a quarter of this thread (there is a SHITLOAD of content so it takes awhile.)

Point is I'm trying. Thanks for reading this far.
I operate under a simple philosophy. The average return of the S&P over time is roughly 10% annually. So that should always be the baseline. When I deal with any stock I dont consider a hold forever (AAPL, MSFT etc), once I get above 25 or 30% in less than a year I start examining it closely and really trying to determine an exit strategy. Not saying I jump to sell it, but I really dig into what is causing the price appreciation. If its FOMO and not fundamentals then I consider trimming or closing completely. Never forget the average return of the market over time is 10% annually.

Moglyzoke Moogleman

<Gold Donor>
I need to stop being a little bitch and just move forward. It's just a really fucking bitter pill to swallow that I fucked up 5+ years of gains in under a year.