Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What is the point of buying an unprofitable company with no real underlying technology that only exists to waste peoples' time while they're supposed to be working?
He is so stupidly rich that it doesn't matter in the context of his wealth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrong.

Tesla and SpaceX both have a lot of innovative technology that keeps getting improved through iteration. It's very obvious that in the future those technologies will be worth more money than they are today. Twitter will always be worth effectively nothing.

Also this:

The other major shareholders are all banks. I am guessing if he is buying their shares they will "work something out".

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wrong.

Tesla and SpaceX both have a lot of innovative technology that keeps getting improved through iteration. It's very obvious that in the future those technologies will be worth more money than they are today. Twitter will always be worth effectively nothing.

Also this:

I think you're grossly underestimating the power Twitter has on the culture and political narratives of our country(the world, even). It's not about 'technology'.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think you're grossly underestimating the power Twitter has on the culture and political narratives of our country(the world, even). It's not about 'technology'.
And consider it is nearly profitably in its current shitty broken state. Imagine cutting a shitload of headcount and just letting the Algos do the heavy lifting while making it more of a advertiser friendly environment. Also Elon has the idea for a $1 or $2 a month subscription to eliminate all the bots.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mosaic still on a warpath.
1649945449372.png

Most likely a nice hold throughout the year even after this run.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Twitter holds tremendous power.
That's the value.
Twitter should be profitable. The fact it isn't tells a lot about current management.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The value of twitter (I cant fucking believe I'm typing that phrase) isnt the tech, its the cultural influence. When OSC wrote Ender and Valentine shaping the politics of their world through anonymous arguments on the internet, it was fiction.

Its reality now, and thats largely because of Twitter.

Thats a thing with financial value, whether its good for society or not (its clearly and emphatically not).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't looked but I imagine DWAC should be taking a big hit...

But imagine if Elon acquires Twitter and opens the API up so other social media sites could tap in and parse the data in different ways...

That could be the angle for these other social media startups.

Twitter could also charge for that api access

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Twitter holds tremendous power.
That's the value.
Twitter should be profitable. The fact it isn't tells a lot about current management.
Why should it be valuable?

Twitter is not Facebook.

Facebook for all its faults is very good at being a place for small and medium size businesses to setup a page and advertise to local residents who are actually likely to visit those businesses.

Twitter is just a place for people to argue about dumb shit in 280 characters or less.

Making Twitter profitable is harder than making Reddit profitable and slightly less hard than making 4chan profitable.

Nextdoor is more valuable than Twitter.

• 1Imbecile
  • 1Picard

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Why should it be valuable?

Twitter is not Facebook.

Facebook for all its faults is very good at being a place for small and medium size businesses to setup a page and advertise to local residents who are actually likely to visit those businesses.

Twitter is just a place for people to argue about dumb shit in 280 characters or less.

Making Twitter profitable is harder than making Reddit profitable and slightly less hard than making 4chan profitable.

Nextdoor is more valuable than Twitter.

The metrics you use to determine value are not the same metrics that most industries use.

This might be hard to believe, but content has never proven to be as valuable as an actual engaged userbase/audience.

Eyeballs on screens, minutes used/ watched, etc, are far more valuable than the amount & type of content you can deliver.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
WFC getting hammered on earnings miss. Banks in general are not giving us a warm and fuzzy for this earnings season. They are all blaming Russia but its deeper than that.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, a fee to use is the worst thing they could do. A small fee to add a 'checkmark' or some premium feature might help filter out bullshit and bots, but anything that removes the free use of the platform is a fail.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The metrics you use to determine value are not the same metrics that most industries use.

This might be hard to believe, but content has never proven to be as valuable as an actual engaged userbase/audience.

Eyeballs on screens, minutes used/ watched, etc, are far more valuable than the amount & type of content you can deliver.
It's about targeting though. I just don't see Twitter ever being good at the hyperlocal and hyper-specific targeting that Facebook or Nextdoor can deliver.

Twitter is a shitposting forum for adult children.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Twitter is amazing as an instant communication community. Want to see breaking news? Twitter. It has a necessary place in society. It's current form is fucked up tho.

Elon could drop 40b and not care if it makes a profit. Note I said could, not should.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
IMO, the incessant desire for "breaking news" is what's giving us all societal ADHD. We need less and higher quality news, not lower latency news.
I disagree here. You get more raw unfiltered (aka spin free) video from breaking news than anything I trust on the MSM. Like everything you have to analyze it for yourself but I am fine with that. Also, Twitter is the platform of choice for the Financial world. Fintwit won't be leaving anytime soon.

• 1Like