Investing General Discussion

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Twitter is a shitposting forum for adult children.
I keep reading your posts on the subject and agreeing but then waiting for you to bring up the downside

A globally important shitposting forum with Elon Musk in charge? I've never looked twice at Twitter but I bought some the second I heard and will probably add more once it drops farther

I may end up being wrong, but I hope I'm right and he turns Globohomo Censor Twitter into Free Speech Twitter

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
How is this shit legal?

1649953898191.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I disagree here. You get more raw unfiltered (aka spin free) video from breaking news than anything I trust on the MSM. Like everything you have to analyze it for yourself but I am fine with that. Also, Twitter is the platform of choice for the Financial world. Fintwit won't be leaving anytime soon.
Nothing is spin free. You can post a video of any event, caption it with whatever spin you want, and most people are unable to discern what they're actually looking at.

You can take the same exact video, and say it shows 1 Russian executing 5 Ukrainians, or 1 Ukrainian executing 5 Russians, and 98% of the world would not be able to tell the difference with their own eyes.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
TWTR shareholders: Elon's offer is well below the March 2021 high and twitters growth potential

TWTR 9 year growth to date:

1649955115022.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I keep reading your posts on the subject and agreeing but then waiting for you to bring up the downside

A globally important shitposting forum with Elon Musk in charge? I've never looked twice at Twitter but I bought some the second I heard and will probably add more once it drops farther

I may end up being wrong, but I hope I'm right and he turns Globohomo Censor Twitter into Free Speech Twitter
If shitposting forums were profitable, FOH would have minted a couple amod millionaires by now, and moot would be richer than Zuckerberg.

The idea that Musk is going to be able to Make Shitposting Great and Profitable Again is a joke. It's just going to lose money.

• 1Like
  • 1Potato
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If shitposting forums were profitable, FOH would have minted a couple amod millionaires by now, and moot would be richer than Zuckerberg.

The idea that Musk is going to be able to Make Shitposting Great and Profitable Again is a joke. It's just going to lose money.
Mist - Their financials disagree with you. They were turning a profit before Covid and the costs of Covid bullshit hit. Forget "opinions". Data is data.

1649955362347.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist - Their financials disagree with you. They were turning a profit before Covid and the costs of Covid bullshit hit. Forget "opinions". Data is data.

View attachment 407991
*not profitable enough to justify the pricetag.

Also that was before TikTok stepped up the pressure other social media companies.

Like it or not, TikTok is the future, until the next thing after that comes along.

• 1Picard

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think Musk is right about the subscription model. If you want to be independent of outside corporate will, then you must not depend on advertising for revenue. Now, if he was starting up a completely new thing, yes I think this would be a no-go immediately. But twitter isn't a startup. Do you really think everyone who is there currently and considers it a part of what they do (news orgs, 'influencers', celebs, sports people, corporate types, etc etc) aren't going to pony up a a few bucks a month? Of course they will. Especially if you add some further incentives for extra privs, ask me how I know.

Also Mist as usual is completely wrong and stupid about the value of twitter. It's not the 'tech' behind it, that's asinine. Do you think ResetEra recently sold for millions of dollars due to the amazing tech of... Xenforo? No, the value was the userbase and your reach and power of influence over that base. Essentially the value is in the monopoly twitter holds in its particular area of the social media sphere.

Musk could do great things in comparison to what twitter has done historically. He's just autistic and bloody-minded enough to get it done too.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
How is this shit legal?

View attachment 407981
Same way most of these things are. Up to 45,000!!!!! could include 1$ and a 1x10^10^10^10^10 chance of winning 45,000 means you could win that amount, never mind that if all humans in the history of mankind pushed a button with that chance to win every hour of their life, nobody would win.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I already pay for useless level 2 every month, I'd pay just to have Alex Jones and Trump on my timeline again. The entertainment value alone is priceless.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Do you really think everyone who is there currently and considers it a part of what they do (news orgs, 'influencers', celebs, sports people, corporate types, etc etc) aren't going to pony up a a few bucks a month? Of course they will. Especially if you add some further incentives for extra privs, ask me how I know.

why-are-you-attacking-me-attacked.gif

• 2Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If Musk started a service where you could pay for other people not to have Twitter I'd think he was onto something.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
13:23 [TWTR] Tesla CEO Musk: Not sure if I will be able to takeover Twitter; Will try to bring along as many other shareholders as legally possible in a private company, which is around 2,000 - TED conf
- Twitter has become de facto town square; It's important for there to be an inclusive arena for free speech
- Would like algorithm to be made transparent so you can see how a tweet is being promoted
- Does not care about the economics at all; Twitter deal is not a way to make money

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think Musk is right about the subscription model. If you want to be independent of outside corporate will, then you must not depend on advertising for revenue. Now, if he was starting up a completely new thing, yes I think this would be a no-go immediately. But twitter isn't a startup. Do you really think everyone who is there currently and considers it a part of what they do (news orgs, 'influencers', celebs, sports people, corporate types, etc etc) aren't going to pony up a a few bucks a month? Of course they will. Especially if you add some further incentives for extra privs, ask me how I know.

Also Mist as usual is completely wrong and stupid about the value of twitter. It's not the 'tech' behind it, that's asinine. Do you think ResetEra recently sold for millions of dollars due to the amazing tech of... Xenforo? No, the value was the userbase and your reach and power of influence over that base. Essentially the value is in the monopoly twitter holds in its particular area of the social media sphere.

Musk could do great things in comparison to what twitter has done historically. He's just autistic and bloody-minded enough to get it done too.
When you don't have interesting tech, what stops people from just moving on to the new thing? Just because someone paid a bunch of money for ResetEra doesn't mean that purchase was smart. They'll throw adds up on the thing until it dies when people move onto something else.

I just think the entire social media business is bad business. Facebook isn't worth what it is because it's a social media platform, it's worth what it is because it's one of the two largest advertising companies in the world that just happens to have a social media platform attached to it, just like Google happens to have search attached to it.

Twitter would have a very hard time monetizing even 10% of its users via subscription.

• 1Potato
  • 1Picard

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
13:42 [TWTR] Twitter board reportedly considering a poison pill in order to prevent Musk from raising his stake - press

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
13:42 [TWTR] Twitter board reportedly considering a poison pill in order to prevent Musk from raising his stake - press
Does that mean everyone involved literally ingests poison because that'd be cool.

• 1Solidarity