Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
13:15 (US) Fed Chair Powell: 50bps hike will be on the table for May meeting; It is appropriate to be moving quickly - IMF panel comments
- Going to do our very best to accomplish a soft landing
- Many at the Fed thought it would be appropriate for one or more 50bps hikes
- It is absolutely essential to restore price stability
- We are unified with allies in opposing Ukraine invasion
- US economy is a bit more remote from effects of the war; We feel the effects of the war with upward inflation effects
- Economy is performing strongly and labor market is tight
- Had expectations that inflation would peak around this time; These expectations have been disappointed in the past; Want to see actual progress on inflation coming down
- Will not count on supply side healing to tackle inflation
- May be that peak for inflation was in March but we can't count on it
- We are going to be raising rates and getting expeditiously to neutral; Then will get to tight policy if appropriate
- We have a job to do on demand; Reiterates Fed cannot fix supply side problems
- We have seen some tightening in financial conditions
- We've got a demand-supply imbalance in the labor market and elsewhere
- It's clear globalization has slowed down and may go into reverse; Less globalization could mean higher inflation and lower productivity
- US labor market is too hot; It is 'unsustainably hot'

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Keep up that permabear talk Zog. I’m stroking my wood.

GOOGL @ 2500- do we like this, FOH Investment Council? That’s one that’s been on the radar for awhile. My worry is that it is too obvious of a trade, like AMD @ 100 was. If the conditions arise to get you to that price, then the price might not look so great in hindsight.

I've been watching GOOGL to hit 2500. I have a full position sitting idle.

Shall I dance Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes / Blazin Blazin ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Our 62% labor participation rate is "too hot?"
No one believes that number. Even the most pathetic people I know have some kind of gig, a fulltime job, or both.

I can always tell when the job market is hot because even useless people like me have a job.

• 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont think Fed had anything to do with today. Powell didn't say anything that he hasn't already. On a technical perspective, the indexes just came into big overhead resistance. The SPY rejected both the 100D and 200D moving averages. We are going to need a big surge of buying volume to come in and clear that and hold.

Rising rates (again today) and a more hawkish Fed dont bode well for the market to spontaneously just smash through that resistance back towards highs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol still arguing for institutions to lie to plebeians. you're such scum
You're not gonna find any Fed fans in this thread. The Fed has been politicized too much and every president for the past 20 years has been pressuring the Fed to spackle over their spending problems, inject money into a flagging economy, and basically using the Fed to do all sorts of Keynesian voodoo that really should be the responsibility of congress to do, but congress never does shit.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, the fed is working hard to destroy america. I might start liking them if they keep it up.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You're not gonna find any Fed fans in this thread. The Fed has been politicized too much and every president for the past 20 years has been pressuring the Fed to spackle over their spending problems, inject money into a flagging economy, and basically using the Fed to do all sorts of Keynesian voodoo that really should be the responsibility of congress to do, but congress never does shit.

your high iq and you think i'm defending the fed

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
batman shocked.jpg

• 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overnight rates creeping up. 10yr nearly hit 3%.

Going to put some further pressure on markets.

• 1Like
  • 1Diamond Hands

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If DIS thought the DeSantis issue was bad, wait until they experience the Cramer kiss of death

• 8Worf
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Zzen

Potato del Grande
If DIS thought the DeSantis issue was bad, wait until they experience the Cramer kiss of death

Me every time I see Cramer make a shit call, but not get tarred and feathered out of the industry:

He_Can%27t_Keep_Getting_Away_With_It_banner.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cleveland-Cliffs (NYSE:CLF) reported its Q1 earnings results on Friday, April 22, 2022 at 06:00 AM.

Here's what investors need to know about the announcement.

Earnings​

Cleveland-Cliffs beat estimated earnings by 22.14%, reporting an EPS of $1.71 versus an estimate of $1.4.

Revenue was up $1.91 billion from the same period last year.

Past Earnings Performance​

Last quarter the company missed on EPS by $0.34 which was followed by a 9.69% drop in the share price the next day.

Raises FY22 Average Selling Price Guidance From $1,225/Net Ton To $1,445/Net Ton​

1650633108739.png

Earnings call at 10am est.

SP waiting on call, I can't think of a better situation steel is in than right now, the issue i've been concerned about for a while is how long the steel tariffs will last, I can imagine when globohomo is ready to rebuild Ukraine those prices might not be very attractive but there hasn't been any calls on the hill to get rid of them with all this inflation in the news.

CLF has proven to be a very well managed company under Lorenzo, nobody thought it would be in the 30's last year, when it was in the bowels of hell pushing into the 16's.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Zog bullish? Post that permabear stuff that makes my dick hard bro.

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

• 2Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Zog bullish? Post that permabear stuff that makes my dick hard bro.

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

Can't be bearish on commodities, especially steel, summer time is peak business season.

As far as technicals on the q's, bounced off 50% fib and broke 61% fib yesterday, long term were going lower, especially if vix gets back above 30.

1650635497153.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like