Investing General Discussion

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Typically agree. However, I am checking my bias at the door today. We have had a very long drawn out drop and we are overdue for an attempted bounce.

This. Tough to fuck off to the Hamptoms for the summer, when your fund is down 40% YTD.

You make hay while the sun is shining.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I've been spending time on investing and wallstreetbets (its all the same discussion with the exact same advice, just funnier and higher volume)

One thing thats been amusing me is the endless bitching between bears and bulls, as if these were permanent categories people fell into instead of judgements about the current state of the market. Its been interesting to me that each side yells at the other as if they were somehow morally superior, as if being a bear or bull was somehow a better, more worthy position to hold.

Then today I read a comment that made me rethink that. Maybe it really is more than just that. Maybe it really is a description of the person.
Bears actively hope that a recession will happen, not just thinking that it will but actively hoping that it will, which means they actively hope you will get laid off and starve along with your family, because they could care less about you
Actively hoping for a recession? Bitch, its 2022, is there somebody left who isnt actively rooting for the complete fall of our civilization and just hoping to squeeze out a few bucks and lols along the way?

Anyway, happy weekend, may the ridiculous green futures turn to the lovely red waterfall we all deserve :)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As much as I like seeing all this green the past couple days, 1-2% daily moves on the indexes in either direction is just not sustainable. I'm going to continue to sit in indexes until it all settles down.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
One thing thats been amusing me is the endless bitching between bears and bulls, as if these were permanent categories people fell into instead of judgements about the current state of the market. Its been interesting to me that each side yells at the other as if they were somehow morally superior, as if being a bear or bull was somehow a better, more worthy position to hold.
This is how everything in the entire internet goes. You get two camps, and all these people with an absolute lack of any sense of identity in real life cling to these identities, form complex mythos and memes around those identities, and manufacture grievances against the other camp.

• 1NPC

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
All my shits green this week. I was hoping to break that negative weeks in a row record.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Don't get your hopes up, Joe or Jerome could like open their mouth and try to make sounds come out or something.

• 1Rustled

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's no coincidence we have this rally at the same time Ackman comes out as a super bear wanting the fed to crash markets.

• 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As much as I like seeing all this green the past couple days, 1-2% daily moves on the indexes in either direction is just not sustainable. I'm going to continue to sit in indexes until it all settles down.
I was going to make a post that I expected today to be another 2-3% move, just wasn't sure which direction.

Which is insane. You can almost count on that big a move every single day.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Semi thread related, already got sanriths input.

Just bought a 400k property, going to sell old home and net about 220k. Keeping about 100 for homestead costs and cushion after wife laid off. Havnt even made our first payment.

Do we dump 100k on the 4.9% loan to drop pmi and save on so much of that front load interest. Or on a long enough time scale would dumping it into s&p 500 be significantly better? Currently 36, so i have time, more just uncertain about if it's a 5 yr plus down turn or if we even have much of a country/ economy in 10.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Semi thread related, already got sanriths input.

Just bought a 400k property, going to sell old home and net about 220k. Keeping about 100 for homestead costs and cushion after wife laid off. Havnt even made our first payment.

Do we dump 100k on the 4.9% loan to drop pmi and save on so much of that front load interest. Or on a long enough time scale would dumping it into s&p 500 be significantly better? Currently 36, so i have time, more just uncertain about if it's a 5 yr plus down turn or if we even have much of a country/ economy in 10.

Now would be a good time to consider putting a chunk into the S&P. Market is in a major correction and teetering on a bear market, but in a 10-20 year time frame you'll be glad you bought in now

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Currently 36, so i have time, more just uncertain about if it's a 5 yr plus down turn or if we even have much of a country/ economy in 10.
That's the 64 trillion dollar question. No one can know. The best guess would be to ask Rajaah Rajaah if he sold all his stocks yet. If he says yes then it's a good chance we are at the bottom 😂

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users