Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
O dios mio. No rest for 🏳️‍🌈🐻 this weekend. RIP in pieces.
We're still 6 more weeks until peak 🏳️‍🌈🐻 season.

1653691245554.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Semi thread related, already got sanriths input.

Just bought a 400k property, going to sell old home and net about 220k. Keeping about 100 for homestead costs and cushion after wife laid off. Havnt even made our first payment.

Do we dump 100k on the 4.9% loan to drop pmi and save on so much of that front load interest. Or on a long enough time scale would dumping it into s&p 500 be significantly better? Currently 36, so i have time, more just uncertain about if it's a 5 yr plus down turn or if we even have much of a country/ economy in 10.
Go plug in your loan into a loan calculator and see how much you save by making a 100k payment today. Then, take the average return on SPY or QQQ over the last ~20 years and see where your 100k would be sitting in the next 10, 20, and 30 years (if the trend continues in the long term).

Next, if your loan is a 30 year, use the loan calculator to see how much you save by changing to a 15 or 10 year (it should be a rather large amount). It may be worth it to refi, invest the 100k in SPY/QQQ, and then push hard to make the larger payments, always knowing you have that 100k to fall back on, if you need a little help every now and then.

Finally, do both loan modifications in the loan calculator; take 100k off the principle, and then move it to a 10 or 15 year, and see how much you save vs just investing it.

P.S. Make sure to shop around if you chose to refi. Quicken Loans used to undercut everyone, just to get the business, but that was 10 years ago, so no idea who is the cheapest now days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Question about how much you are allowed to contribute to a RothIRA each year. All I can see is you have to have "earned income" equal to the amount you want to contribute (up to the max, which is 6k or so). UNLESS you make way more than 100k and you slowly lose the ability to contribute anything.

Anyways lets say I made 20k at my job last year but put 100 percent of it into my job's 401k. My accountant (which is new and I don't fully trust) says I now have to withdraw some of that contribution because I put all my income into my jobs 401k.

But my reading of it was you just have to have had that earned income, does not matter what you did with it.

Anyone know?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Question about how much you are allowed to contribute to a RothIRA each year. All I can see is you have to have "earned income" equal to the amount you want to contribute (up to the max, which is 6k or so). UNLESS you make way more than 100k and you slowly lose the ability to contribute anything.

Anyways lets say I made 20k at my job last year but put 100 percent of it into my job's 401k. My accountant (which is new and I don't fully trust) says I now have to withdraw some of that contribution because I put all my income into my jobs 401k.

But my reading of it was you just have to have had that earned income, does not matter what you did with it.

Anyone know?

If you contributed all of your earned income from last year to your 401k, where did you get the money for the IRA? If it was earned in another year I can't see that being an issue, and your accountant might be reading things to literally.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Anyone know?
I think you are conflating different retirement vehicles with each other and mixing their rules up

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If you contributed all of your earned income from last year to your 401k, where did you get the money for the IRA? If it was earned in another year I can't see that being an issue, and your accountant might be reading things to literally.

If the money was earned in another year, he's missed the contribution deadline.

I think, as you suggest, Locnar missed the fact that 401k contributions reduce your earned income. He wants to double dip, but it doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I think, as you suggest, Locnat missed the fact that 401k contributions reduce your earned income. He wants to double dip, but it doesn't work like that.

I know 401k reduce your AGI for tax purposes, but I thought not "earned income" which qualifies you to contribute into roths. So you have to make excess (that you DONT put into a traditional 401k) to qualify contributions into a roth in the same year?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I know 401k reduce your AGI for tax purposes, but I thought not "earned income" which qualifies you to contribute into roths. So you have to make excess (that you DONT put into a traditional 401k) to qualify contributions into a roth in the same year?
No, and yes, respectively. AGI == "earned income". Any tax-advantaged savings you put aside reduces your pool available for simlar purposes. Alternatively stated, you must have a taxable income at least equal to the total of all 401k/roth/SEP/traditional IRA/HSA/etc. contributions (or at least the income that would have been taxable but for your contributions). Otherwise, you'd be claiming tax credits on more than all of your income in that year.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, and yes, respectively. AGI == "earned income". Any tax-advantaged savings you put aside reduces your pool available for simlar purposes. Alternatively stated, you must have a taxable income at least equal to the total of all 401k/roth/SEP/traditional IRA/HSA/etc. contributions (or at least the income that would have been taxable but for your contributions). Otherwise, you'd be claiming tax credits on more than all of your income in that year.
Just wanting to clarify something since I am seeing terms like Roth and tax credits and stuff. A standard IRA is pre-tax money. A Roth is after tax money. You have the ability to donate to a regular IRA even if you don't qualify for the tax deduction on your 1040. Granted why would you since without the tax advantage it should go into the Roth so it comes out tax free.

And as for max income into 401k, then there has to be some earned income to go into the Roth. You can't take savings and put it in. And it can't be passive income.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Just wanting to clarify something since I am seeing terms like Roth and tax credits and stuff. A standard IRA is pre-tax money. A Roth is after tax money. You have the ability to donate to a regular IRA even if you don't qualify for the tax deduction on your 1040. Granted why would you since without the tax advantage it should go into the Roth so it comes out tax free.

And as for max income into 401k, then there has to be some earned income to go into the Roth. You can't take savings and put it in. And it can't be passive income.

Yea, I don't understand why you'd use any other vehicle than the Roth if you made less than standard deductible and qualified for it. I've posted before my plan is to rollover my standard deductible from 401k into the Roth on years I'll have no income in Retirement just because it's tax free.

Not taking advantage of the tax free moves the standard deduction gives you every chance you have is silly.