Investing General Discussion

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As rates stay high and the lenders continue to actually write conforming/high quality loans, the plebes will stay in apartments with their 500 credit scores where they below. Unless government once again steps in and forces banks to write loans to the dregs this will cut into that shortage naturally.
I dont understand this line of thinking.

From the way it looks, you are suggesting that those in apartments cant get homes because of credit scores. However, the price of homes have shot up so much that people wont qualify for home loans, yet are stuck paying just as much, if not more, for apartments.

About 5 years ago my wife and I were looking into a home around 200k. At the time in our life, I was only making $50kish and she was making $30kish. Despite both having over 700 credit scores, we did not qualify for the $200k home and the monthly payments were anticipated to be around $900 a month. Yet somehow we were paying $1,200 a month in rent.

Now we make a combined $140k....housing has skyrocketed in price and interest rate, and despite almost doubling our income, we cant afford a $300k home ( not a damn thing cheaper these days outside of the ghetto ), as the expected payments are $2300 per month...yet the home we rented when we moved at the end of '19 was $1300...now its been raised to $2175 now too.

• 1Clown World
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I dont understand this line of thinking.

From the way it looks, you are suggesting that those in apartments cant get homes because of credit scores. However, the price of homes have shot up so much that people wont qualify for home loans, yet are stuck paying just as much, if not more, for apartments.

About 5 years ago my wife and I were looking into a home around 200k. At the time in our life, I was only making $50kish and she was making $30kish. Despite both having over 700 credit scores, we did not qualify for the $200k home and the monthly payments were anticipated to be around $900 a month. Yet somehow we were paying $1,200 a month in rent.

Now we make a combined $140k....housing has skyrocketed in price and interest rate, and despite almost doubling our income, we cant afford a $300k home ( not a damn thing cheaper these days outside of the ghetto ), as the expected payments are $2300 per month...yet the home we rented when we moved at the end of '19 was $1300...now its been raised to $2175 now too.
Not to get into the weeds of mortgages, but it isnt just a single factor. You have conforming and non-conforming loans. The lowest rates generally go to conforming loans. These same rates go into determining the DTI ratios. Your credit score also impacts the rates (again affecting the DTI ratios). This system is designed to weed out the weak borrowers and keep mortgages a safe investment. When the gubmint steps in and increases the number of borrowers under FHA by adjusting the criteria (for "diversity) this is bad for the housing market and economy "in the long term". In the short term it increases buyers which drives up house prices.

House building industry wants as many people as possible buying houses. They dont give a shit if they default on the mortgages, they just build and sell houses. They dont hold the notes (and the risk). If we cut the pool of buyers by lowering/eliminating the high risk non-conforming mortgages we slow home price inflation while at the same time slow the rate of defaults.

I am not speaking to your individual situation (I dont know anything about it). Generally, people who are renting are limited to buying by 2 or 3 factors. Income isnt one of the biggies generally. Its lack of a non-borrowed down payment, too much debt (as a ratio of income) and credit score. This becomes doubly so for first-time buyers since they lack the equity proceeds from their first house to use as the down payment for house #2.

DTI tends to be the real killer. People just dont realize that two car payments, student loans, credit card debt etc just torch your ability to buy a house unless you have a big chunk of cash sitting around. This is the #1 reason parents co-sign for their kids on house #1. That first house is fucking hard to swing under normal circumstances. Pre-2000, you would scrimp and save every dime, cut every luxury you could to build up the cash for a down payment (5% at an absolute bare minimum) plus all the pre-pays and closing costs. $200k house? You wanted to have between $30k - $40k in cash. FHA changes this calculus of course, but FHA isnt a conforming loan.

Everything involving a mortgaged home purchase is related. Rates impact projected monthly cost, Down payment lowers the principal which lowers the projected monthly cost, DTI determines the max projected monthly cost, income and debt determines the DTI, conforming loans lowers the rate, down payment determines the needs for PMI, which if you need it increases the projected monthly cost.

• 2Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cruise Lines still struggling.

09:15 [CCL] Reports Q2 -$1.61 v -$1.13e, Rev $2.40B v $2.84Be; Booking volumes for second half sailings, since the beginning of April, have been higher than 2019 levels
- Cuts Q3 Net 'loss' (prior: 'profit'), Guides Adj EBITDA 'positive'
- Affirms FY22 Net 'loss' (prior: 'loss'), adj EBITDA to improve with ongoing resumption of guest cruise ops
- Cuts FY22 Capex $5.6B, Raises FY23 $4.3B, Cuts FY24 $3.6B, FY25 $2.9B (prior: FY22 Capex $6.0B; FY23 $4.2B; FY24 $3.7B; FY25 $3.0B)

I don't exactly trust the "bookings" metrics, as many people who paid as early as 2019-2020 are still rebooking cruises that were cancelled due to covid.
I guess I am simply skeptical of their reports.
Lets also not forget they all took on piles of debt over the last couple years to stay afloat. (pun intended)

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cruise Lines still struggling.

09:15 [CCL] Reports Q2 -$1.61 v -$1.13e, Rev $2.40B v $2.84Be; Booking volumes for second half sailings, since the beginning of April, have been higher than 2019 levels
- Cuts Q3 Net 'loss' (prior: 'profit'), Guides Adj EBITDA 'positive'
- Affirms FY22 Net 'loss' (prior: 'loss'), adj EBITDA to improve with ongoing resumption of guest cruise ops
- Cuts FY22 Capex $5.6B, Raises FY23 $4.3B, Cuts FY24 $3.6B, FY25 $2.9B (prior: FY22 Capex $6.0B; FY23 $4.2B; FY24 $3.7B; FY25 $3.0B)

I don't exactly trust the "bookings" metrics, as many people who paid as early as 2019-2020 are still rebooking cruises that were cancelled due to covid.
I guess I am simply skeptical of their reports.
Lets also not forget they all took on piles of debt over the last couple years to stay afloat. (pun intended)
I aint touching travel industry. If for no other reasons than there are better things on sale.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Generally, people who are renting are limited to buying by 2 or 3 factors. Income isnt one of the biggies generally. Its lack of a non-borrowed down payment, too much debt (as a ratio of income) and credit score. This becomes doubly so for first-time buyers since they lack the equity proceeds from their first house to use as the down payment for house #2.

You could argue all of those things are tied to income. The first one directly and the second two indirectly.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Consumers are "flush with cash" and yet the numbers for consumer debt are at astronomical numbers.

I dunno, maybe they have some advance numbers on GDP and are tipping their hand at it?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So USAK (trucking company I used to hold) is up 100% overnight. Sure glad I sold that a long time ago! Dodged that bullet

In other news, between the BS rally we've had this week and the incoming social chaos - time to get back on the inverse ETFs. Sold my TQQQ yesterday, didnt make much off the BS rally but it still beats watching the numbers go down

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So USAK (trucking company I used to hold) is up 100% overnight. Sure glad I sold that a long time ago! Dodged that bullet

In other news, between the BS rally we've had this week and the incoming social chaos - time to get back on the inverse ETFs. Sold my TQQQ yesterday, didnt make much off the BS rally but it still beats watching the numbers go down

Never got off the inverse ETFs myself. Holding through the last few days has been a teeth-grinding experience.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Today's pop was due to the inflation data released with the Consumer Confidence reports. Ever so slightly lifted inflation expectations and we popped to the upside with volume on the release. I don't expect any of this to hold over the coming weeks. Q2 earnings misses / revised guides can take us right back to lows. (my 2c)

10:00 *(US) JUNE FINAL UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN CONFIDENCE: 50.0 V 50.2E (Record low); 5-10 year inflation expectations revised lower
- Current conditions: 53.8 v 55.4 prelim
- Expectations: 47.5 v 46.8 prelim
- 1 year inflation expectations 5.3% v 5.4% prelim
- 5-10 year inflation expectations 3.1% v 3.3% prelim

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
(US) Market Trading Hours Summary: Stock rebound finds further legs Summary:Global stocks tracked higher amid continued cooling in interest rate expectations and commodity prices. The final Univ of Michigan reading revised down the 5- to 10-year inflation expectations to 3.1% from 3.3% after Chairman Powell flagged that jump in surveyed expectations as a key determinate in raising rates 75 bps last week. The 2-year yield briefly dropped below 3% following the revision, as stocks surged further and the dollar slipped. Advancers strongly outpaced decliners in the S&P, while volumes remained in line with recent sessions. - Source TradeTheNews.com

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All 17 of my positions are in the green. Been a while since I had that on my screen.

• 1Tendies

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR cracked $10. I am back in the green.

1656095543756.png

• 1Like
  • 1Diamond Hands