Investing General Discussion

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Many Americans were pushed into trying self-employment when millions of jobs vanished almost overnight in the early weeks of the pandemic. Others have taken the decision voluntary, quitting their jobs and no longer seeking to work for others. The so-called quits rate has surged in the past two years, with 4.3 million workers leaving in May alone.

You think the "great retirement exodus" will keep us out of what otherwise would pretty clearly be a significant recession?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You think the "great retirement exodus" will keep us out of what otherwise would pretty clearly be a significant recession?
You're asking the wrong question.

A recession is a period of negative GDP growth compared to previous quarters, something we are most likely already in, now that the Visible Hand of the Government is not actively stroking the market. A recession can have many causes, and many different effects.

What're you actually asking? Will the "great retirement exodus" prevent a demand shock? An unemployment shock?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking at that chart, my intuition says we've been on on downward streak since early 2000s. The chart is basically showing the boomer generation retiring and Covid basically fast forwarding a lot of retirement plans. Especially if you consider where their investment portfolios went over the last 2 yrs. They ain't coming back. Period... unless we completely erode the value of the dollar via inflation to shit and everyone is forced back into work to pay for $20/gal gas and $10 loaves of bread.

Otherwise, you need to open the immigration floodgates or convince everyone to start procreating if you want those 2000s era labor numbers.

Replacement (of deaths) level birthrate is 2.1 per woman. We have been well under that for a while now and only declining further.

PS fun fact: UK hasn't seen replacement level birth rates in over 50 years. Yay immigration?

sweden climate GIF
Doesn't look like it.

Untitled.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You actually just made his point.

If total 'working age population' is basically flatlining, a situation that has never really occurred in living memory, and more boomers are retiring early due to enormous gains in the value of their home(s) and growth in their 401k over the past 30+ years, the number of people willing and able to work is actually shrinking considerably, again, something that has never really happened before in our lifetimes.

Imagine you were born in 1965, were 25 years old when you got your first real professional job in 1990, started contributing heavily to retirement (because you weren't saddled with massive student loans back then) bought a home around age 28-30, have been building steady gains in both, probably bought a second home 15-20 years ago, and now you're 57, have 3+ million in net worth between your homes and investment accounts. Are you going back to the office for another 10 years of stressful bullshit, another 10 flu seasons of various respiratory illnesses that can easily fucking kill you or drastically shorten your life, or are you just noping the fuck out?

I'm on a team of senior telecom engineers that almost all got heavily into the industry in the early and mid 1990s, and all of them are basically threatening to retire any minute, and they're all remote and have been remote for 5-10 years. I can't imagine what it would be like if they actually had to go back into the office, well I can imagine, they'd definitely be gone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except the chart is for working age population and ends at 64. It's already accounting for the phase out of boomers. In fact, there are only about 6 years of boomers in that chart (oldest being 1958). 2/3 of them are already considered out of the workforce for that metric.

Millennials aren't that much smaller of a generation than boomers.

The original point he was making is that the labor participation rate was cratering since 2000 because of the boomers retiring, but you can clearly see that those two things aren't correlated.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It ends at 64 because at 65 you become eligible for Medicare. The government still considers 65 the real retirement age despite the phased raising of the Social Security retirement age that occurred over the charted interval. It would be too hard to graph the analysis if the definition of 'working age' changed over the course of the graph.

Totally aside, the one thing I really love about that graph is the 2 big jumps in 1990 and 2000 when the census likely 'found' a whole bunch of working-age immigrants they didn't previously count.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This belongs in the political thread.
Does it? Both parties have significant impact on stocks in the social media space, much more impact than they have on actual public policy.

The whole Twitter buyout has fantastic drama and DWAC isn't far behind.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This belongs in the political thread.

Mist banned herself from the pol area, even though a month or two ago she had some complete and utter meltdown which led to her unbanning which led to an even bigger psychotic break. Days of her stark raving mad posts in the pol area. Now she's back to self banned and posting pol in a bunch of other threads like usual. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It never ceases to boggle my mind when I see CEO's of multi-billion dollar companies come out with "I got caught off guard" comments. Well then bitch, resign. You are paid insame amounts of money to not get caught off guard when people on a gaming forum are predicting the shit that caught you off guard.

Computer chips face toilet paper hoarding moment as shortage turns to glut

OAKLAND, Calif. (Reuters) - A supply chain crisis triggered by the global pandemic deprived makers of PCs and smartphones to cars of computer chips needed to make their products.

All that suddenly changed over three weeks from late May to June, as high inflation, China's latest COVID lockdown, and the war in Ukraine dampened consumer spending, especially on PCs and smartphones.

Chip shortages turned into a glut in some sectors, taking Wall Street by surprise. By late June, memory chip firm Micron Technology Inc(MU) said it would reduce production. The market reversal caught Micron off guard, admitted Chief Business Officer Sumit Sadana.

As U.S. chip earnings reporting season kicks off later this month, TechInsights' chip economist Dan Hutcheson warned of more bad news following Micron's grim forecast. "Micron kind of plowed the ground, with their honesty," he said.

Worries about an industry downturn have slammed chip stocks, with the Philadelphia Semiconductor index tumbling 35% so far in 2022, far more than the S&P 500's 19% loss.

Hoarding is making it worse.

Like nervous shoppers raiding supermarket aisles for toilet paper ahead of a COVID-19 lockdown, manufacturers stockpiled computer chips during the pandemic.Before that, "just in time" manufacturing was the norm for fiscally conservative companies, which ordered parts as close to production time as possible to avoid excess inventory, reduce warehouse capacity and cut upfront spending.

During the pandemic that shifted to what some jokingly call a "just in case" practice of stockpiling chips.

"Hoarding is a sign they think it's essential until one day they look at it and say, 'Why do I have all this inventory?'" said Hutcheson, who has been forecasting chip supply and demand for over 40 years. "It's kind of like toilet paper." The big chip U-turn has hit unevenly across business sectors, experts said.

Big suppliers of chips to consumer electronics makers, especially low-end smartphones, will be hit hardest by the downturn, said Tristan Gerra, Baird's senior analyst for semiconductors.Nvidia Corp, the design giant whose graphic chips are used for gaming and mining cryptocurrency, could see "another shoe drop" as prices continue to fall, exacerbated by the recent cryptocurrency market crash, Gerra said.

Among those least affected by a glut are Apple Inc's suppliers such as the world's top chip factory Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co(TSM), said Wedbush analyst Matt Bryson. Demand remains high for Apple devices, which are more upmarket.Chipmakers supplying automotive and data centers will also thrive, said Gerra, noting unabated demand."In power management, we're going gangbusters," said an executive of another global chipmaker who asked not to be identified.

However, for radio frequency chips used in smartphones, "we're seeing a pullback because of handsets," he added.

The executive's chip factory is "retooling" production lines to make more power management chips for cars and fewer RF chips, which could eventually help relieve some of the auto chip shortages, he said.

While industry executives and analysts cannot say how many excess chips are in warehouses around the world, first-quarter inventory hit a record high at key electronics manufacturing services companies, said Jefferies' analyst Mark Lipacis in a July 1 note. The previous first-quarter record was over two decades ago, right before the dotcom bubble burst.

Manufacturers may decide to use up chips in warehouses instead of buying new ones, and cancel orders, Lipacis warned.

Auto chipmakers are safe for now, some analysts said. But that may not last long.

In his September note Bernstein analyst Stacy Rasgon said automakers were ordering far more chips than they appeared to need, and that trend is continuing, he told Reuters.

That will create a problem when vehicle makers stop buying chips to use up their stockpiles.

• 3Like
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As someone who does this stuff for a living, this basically sounds like a new dashboard to integrate a bunch of existing products and services slightly better. Amazon loves marketing a new dashboard/portal by calling it something new.
Marketing is half the battle.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
As someone who does this stuff for a living, this basically sounds like a new dashboard to integrate a bunch of existing products and services slightly better. Amazon loves marketing a new dashboard/portal by calling it something new.
As someone who does security in AWS for a lot of companies my understanding of this is bundling up a lot of the existing AWS network tools/capabilities, plus the abilities to manage your tunnels back to your traditional data enters and PoPs. It's their answer to the SD-WAN movement which AT&T, Zscaler, and some other have been making good money on as of late, expect comparable offerings from Google (GCP) and Microsoft (Azure) within 3-6 months tops.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
As someone who does security in AWS for a lot of companies my understanding of this is bundling up a lot of the existing AWS network tools/capabilities, plus the abilities to manage your tunnels back to your traditional data enters and PoPs. It's their answer to the SD-WAN movement which AT&T, Zscaler, and some other have been making good money on as of late, expect comparable offerings from Google (GCP) and Microsoft (Azure) within 3-6 months tops.
Isn't this already part of Azure?

1657669625502.png

My point was that you can already do all this stuff with AWS, this is just a new dashboard to make the existing functionality easier to manage.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I had been aware of the MS ExpressRoute stuff. Didn't know they'd fully productized the VPN aspects. And yeah, most of these companies will innovate a tiny bit, but market and rebrand all to hell. My own company is no exception. Although I like our security more than the built in on AWS/GCP/Azure.. then again I work for a security company, not a cloud services provider.