Investing General Discussion

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I'm happy to bow out to the majority opinion on this but I do want to bring up one last point. the BTC whitepaper was written in 2008 after the last crash. It was specifically created to give a decentralized alternative to currencies that were clearly being manipulated for the gain of a small group. Here we are with another financial crisis and one could argue that this is exactly what crypto was made for. 360+ companies are set to trial Ethereum 2.0 when it launches. IF it works it will be gigantic and you can see big money moving in that direction.

Note the Q1 growth. This fund trades in crypto with a HUGE upside for Grayscale for shouldering the investor risk.
snip.JPG
It is a certainly still a speculation but I would argue its not as foolish an investment as being argued here.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm happy to bow out to the majority opinion on this but I do want to bring up one last point. the BTC whitepaper was written in 2008 after the last crash. It was specifically created to give a decentralized alternative to currencies that were clearly being manipulated for the gain of a small group. Here we are with another financial crisis and one could argue that this is exactly what crypto was made for. 360+ companies are set to trial Ethereum 2.0 when it launches. IF it works it will be gigantic and you can see big money moving in that direction.

Implying that crypto is somehow above being manipulated for the gain of a small group? Please.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Stock pick of the day.
LMT
It beat top and bottom today on earnings. It makes lots of stuff for the Govt. By lots I mean a metric fuckton. It is making the new capsule for NASA. It reaffirmed guidance this year for about $24 a share in earnings. Its balance sheet is rock solid.

I think it has about 15% upside from its current price. I think it might be priced a tad high for an entry point but maybe not. It is right at its 50 and 200 DMA. It ain't sexy, but it is a core blue chip long term purchase in my opinion.

I am long in it and will probably add more if it gets dragged down with the rest of the market on a downward move.

Disclaimer - past performance is no indicator blah, blah, blah and this is free advice so you can't sue me. Except for Foler Foler . If you take this advice I want 1% as an advising fee 😀

• 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
And XOM erases this morning's losses with the power of a tweet...

The way commodity contracts are written, crude producers are still making money on the crude they deliver, at around 35-40$ a barrel probably. Newly issued contracts will go for less, but a large fraction of the pain in the futures crash is being absorbed by investors.

Still not a great situation for them, but they aren't paying people to take their oil like you might think from just looking at the markets.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's a saying that "the market can remain irrational far longer than you can remain insolvent." Seems to apply in that case (despite his claims that all his trades are on Brent and he's still okay; his clock is still ticking).

Yeah, oil will eventually go back above $50. But do you know when? Can you float it if it takes 5 years?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
There is always a reason things are priced the way they are. We may not always know the reason, and the reason may not actually be valid (or legal), but there is always a reason. Fighting the price discovery takes balls and deep pockets.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Don't know if this support level holds (I doubt it) but will do my first small nibble, so sold some SPY puts $270 strike 5/1 exp. $6.30 a contract. Small amount goal of hoping I get the shares for a $263.70 cost basis. Last week I sold covered calls on QQQ position that were in the money at the high and now well out of the money so I'm quite happy with that. Watching a little more to see if I want to close them or just let them run to expiration.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I really think people buying into USO don't know what they are getting into. USO is expanding to become more and more of the market because it's so cheap. It looks like they just barely sidestepped taking on oil this month between rollovers and storing it, but I don't think the same thing will be possible next month. From the way I see it, If they are forced to take delivery it could potentially be a total loss for USO even if crude goes up in price. Looks like the higher ups at USO realized what's happening when they froze new creations.

The worst part for USO is that it doesn't take very much smarts for people in the business to see the trap they're in and just stop buying. The supply is going to be there at the end of the month, so it's a no-risk ploy. Enough companies do this and they'll be able to feast on USO's corpse this next expiry with 0 risk.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, oil will eventually go back above $50. But do you know when? Can you float it if it takes 5 years?
Serious question: doesn't one think that the nations that depend on oil revenue will, at some point in the not-so-distant-future, do something to drive the price up?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Serious question: doesn't one think that the nations that depend on oil revenue will, at some point in the not-so-distant-future, do something to drive the price up?

That seems to have lost it's effectiveness as of late, we have had several instances of conflict and disruption in the ME and the price did not move at all to the extent that we had become accustomed. Also, as long as demand remains at that these unbelievably low numbers it's not really possible for it to go up. Every day we pump more than we are using day in and day out. The only thing that fixes this is companies going belly up or the world economy restarting.

Russia and Saudi Arabi are hurt by this but if they think long term a blow to US production is highly beneficial to them, but it is even likely out of their control at this point at least to improve it. All they can do is try to make it worse in the short term to push our companies over the edge. We aren't using the oil what possible solution is there going to be in the next few months.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
I really think people buying into USO don't know what they are getting into. USO is expanding to become more and more of the market because it's so cheap. It looks like they just barely sidestepped taking on oil this month between rollovers and storing it, but I don't think the same thing will be possible next month. From the way I see it, If they are forced to take delivery it could potentially be a total loss for USO even if crude goes up in price. Looks like the higher ups at USO realized what's happening when they froze new creations.

The worst part for USO is that it doesn't take very much smarts for people in the business to see the trap they're in and just stop buying. The supply is going to be there at the end of the month, so it's a no-risk ploy. Enough companies do this and they'll be able to feast on USO's corpse this next expiry with 0 risk.
OK this is wrong. This type of thinking (not blaming just using it as an example) is how people lost their asses in USO.

Here goes. USO doesn't buy/sell oil. It buys and sells oil futures contract. By its design it specifically only holds 2 (maybe 3 , going from memory) months of contracts. By design it rolls those contracts each month and never actually holds then to expiry. So example.. 50% of assets are owning May future contracts and 50% owning June. When May is about to expire it sells them all and buys July contracts. This is all it does. Month after month.

Now it gets fun. Contango hits. Spot prices (current month) are selling for less than future contracts. Contango. So in this instance USO had to start selling May contracts last week when it was selling at $17 and buying July which was selling around $40. Yep. This is quite the loss.

Now add in the no storage thing this week and there were no buyers. USO has to sell no matter what, so they were selling for negative prices (paying buyers to take the contracts) and still needed to buy July contracts.

Now the problem is all the reddit wonks see oil at 17$ a barrel and dropping and think fuck yeah its gotta go up and they were buying USO last week. They do this having zero understanding of all the shit I just explained above about the contract roll. The dweebs were thinking they were just buying cheap oil and were going to wait it out until it went up. Newp. The value of the fund got ass-ravaged on the May to July contract swap. Its not over. The same shit is going to happen in a month and ad nauseum until the contango fades and spot oil is worth more than future price.

Today they closed the fund to new stock issues and its now a closed end fund. Last count a couple of billion dollars got vaporized.

Moral of the story. Dont buy shit you don't understand.

Now why does this matter to you and me? Because asshole media types who understand nothing about USO splash news all over the world "oil selling for negative dollars" with no explanation or context. This leads to today's selling across the board.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are buying a metal that outside of certain industrial uses has no "actual" value. To me it is like BTC except it does actually have a few real world uses.

I consider people buying gold to hedge against a societal collapse when fiat currency is wiped out. I don't think they run the scenario all the way to the end though. If that collapse happens more than likely the government collapses and the only things with actual true value are food, water, medicine, guns and ammo. I dont remember too many Walking Dead scenarios where people are hoarding gold.
Never knocked on my door

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Now why does this matter to you and me? Because asshole media types who understand nothing about USO splash news all over the world "oil selling for negative dollars" with no explanation or context. This leads to today's selling across the board.

That was the point I was trying to make.

They are growing in size in the market for Contracts only, and that's BAD, because they can't actually do the business once storage runs out. Crude buyers who do it as a business can just step back and let them have the whole market, and when USO is stuck with a shitload of contracts that are worthless to them, the businesses that use oil and actually deliver it will be able to scrape them off the burning wreckage of USO's corpse. People think they're buying cheap oil, but it's not that way at all.

As much money has been vaporized in USO, I think there's a huge risk that ALL of it gets vaporized next month when the expiry drops. With so many people buying into USO lately (their number of shares skyrocketed recently), they've actually only increased their liability they are facing when the next set of contracts comes to expiry. I can't see a way out for USO, and anyone who thinks buying it is buying cheap oil deserves what's coming.

I'm thinking a total loss within 2 months is likely.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
That was the point I was trying to make.

They are growing in size in the market for Contracts only, and that's BAD, because they can't actually do the business once storage runs out. Crude buyers who do it as a business can just step back and let them have the whole market, and when USO is stuck with a shitload of contracts that are worthless to them, the businesses that use oil and actually deliver it will be able to scrape them off the burning wreckage of USO's corpse. People think they're buying cheap oil, but it's not that way at all.

As much money has been vaporized in USO, I think there's a huge risk that ALL of it gets vaporized next month when the expiry drops. With so many people buying into USO lately (their number of shares skyrocketed recently), they've actually only increased their liability they are facing when the next set of contracts comes to expiry. I can't see a way out for USO, and anyone who thinks buying it is buying cheap oil deserves what's coming.

I'm thinking a total loss within 2 months is likely.
There isn't a way out. As I said they closed the fund to new issues. Its a closed end fund now. Barring a virus that eats crude oil magically appearing, USO is in a death spiral.