Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
This isnt a good sign. It looks like they are building a quarantine around USO so it doesn't bring down the entire oil world.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There isn't a way out. As I said they closed the fund to new issues. Its a closed end fund now. Barring a virus that eats crude oil magically appearing, USO is in a death spiral.

The only thing buying USO time is they have a huge pile of govies. They aren't dead yet, but barring some fairytail ending that pile of cash is going to blow the fuck up over the next two months and this whole mess will probably end up very red. It's not legal to pass that on to ETF holders, is it?

With the number of creation baskets being made, it implies that there was a pretty massive inflow of cash the last few weeks of people thinking this was a good time to buy into USO, to the tune of a couple billion or so, can't be bothered to go past paper napkin "it's a lot" math. That bid/nav disconnect implies people are still buying in even after they shut down creation. LOL I just don't even.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Blazin Blazin I was thinking about something you said with Put options on SPY. So let's use SPYG instead of SPY since the numbers are a lot smaller. I own it and will buy more at the right price. Its now at $38. A 6% drop puts it at 35 and i am comfortable buying more at 35. So instead of waiting, I sell a Put at $35 strike, say May 15 expiry. I get 0.75 for the Put. If it doesn't drop I make 75$. If it does I get exercised and buy at $35 but in reality at $34.25 because of the Put money (a 2% discount). Now the downside is I buy it and it keeps dropping. But if I am OK owning at $35 no matter what then it doesn't really hurt me in the long run.

Do I have this right?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Blazin Blazin I was thinking about something you said with Put options on SPY. So let's use SPYG instead of SPY since the numbers are a lot smaller. I own it and will buy more at the right price. Its now at $38. A 6% drop puts it at 35 and i am comfortable buying more at 35. So instead of waiting, I sell a Put at $35 strike, say May 15 expiry. I get 0.75 for the Put. If it doesn't drop I make 75$. If it does I get exercised and buy at $35 but in reality at $34.25 because of the Put money (a 2% discount). Now the downside is I buy it and it keeps dropping. But if I am OK owning at $35 no matter what then it doesn't really hurt me in the long run.

Do I have this right?

yes, it is why I like them as a way to play both sides. I’m happy with either outcome. You just have to be honest with yourself about the price you would be willing to buy at.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So whats the fundamental problem here? Oil producers not wanting to cut supply as demand has dropped off a cliff?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So whats the fundamental problem here? Oil producers not wanting to cut supply as demand has dropped off a cliff?

They did cut supply, the question is did they wait to long and did they cut it enough? They should have seen the drop in demand coming with half the world going into quarantine.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

It's kinda a few things coming to play once. There's a lot of crude companies that don't want to blink, because shutting down production costs a lot of money. In a way they are obligated to some degree not to shut it down, because people gobbled up futures thinking it was an easy and safe investment. Normally when internet investors buy crude, theres a storage facility that it can get dumped into until it gets sold to a real industry, but that storage facility will be full sometime this coming month.

Basically, negative oil prices are "Oh shit! This contract says I have to pay Z money for this oil and deal with it by X date or I'm gonna pay Z+fees, and I don't have a freighter or building to store it in. I gotta get this shit off my hands and I'm willing to pay less than Z dollars for someone to do it."

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Fuck this clown shit I'm buying silver with my Trump bucks

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Long story short. About a month ago OPEC+ met to discuss cutting production. Russia said fuck no. Some thought it was about sticking it to US shale and others thought it had to do with the politics of the Mideast (Russia back Shia countries Iran and Syria). Either way, KSA decided to stick it to Russia and slashed their oil price thinking they could survive the lower price better than Russia could. All of this is really KSA teaching Russia not to fuck with OPEC decisions and become a team player.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's not easy to shut off production on a well. There's no on/off switch. Oil tankers now are used to store the oil offshore they pumped out of the ground some time back.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think the credit system being fuckered is still the biggest contagion in the market, with REITs being in the eye of that storm.

People should be scared of S&P or Moodys doing credit downgrades in the coming weeks. The fed decided it's okay to slather up junk bonds with it's cash tsunami, but the big banks aren't going to be as kind when it comes to margin calls on accounts backed with them. There's a lot of bonds at risk of going junk, but illinois in particular is a spitball away from it. They are already one step from junk, and Moody's turned their outlook negative today. It's a shot across the bow that tells illinois that they don't got long to do something impressive.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
EWOmWUsX0AAA8tv.jpeg

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i bought uco in the dip at 1.31 and have held it since. it's up to 15 something but i just saw that my 100 shares were traded for 4. any know what this means? should have sold earlier or would it not have mattered?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
i bought uco in the dip at 1.31 and have held it since. it's up to 15 something but i just saw that my 100 shares were traded for 4. any know what this means? should have sold earlier or would it not have mattered?

Sounds like an option?