Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are there limit orders to prevent losses?

I guess that'd be a stop loss. How do you do this in Fidelity?
There are a couple of versions and so they mostly operate the same. Fidelity recently modified them to basically operating as If/Then statements. So if you have AVYA you would write if (condition) is met (we will use last trade price for this example) "last price is $1.40 or above" THEN activate trailing stop with (condition) either a percentage or a straight amount. In our example lets say we put in 10 cents.

So it would play like this... Last trade hits $1.40 . Condition is met and the trailing stop order is now active. Stock keeps moving up to $1.60 and then retreats. Since it hit a high of $1.60 since activation it will trigger the sale at $1.50 (1.60 less the 10 cent trail you set).

It can fuck you on illiquid stocks or stocks that are really volatile where the spreads on the bid ask get wide so keep that in mind. You might trigger the sale at $1.50 but the spread might be 1.30 - 1.50 and you end up filling at 1.30 since thats the bid.

Also you can set the trail as a percentage also instead if a fixed amount and it will trigger that way.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What's a good thing to buy a bunch of and then sell covered calls on?
Low beta stocks that tend to go sideways alot. If they oay a nice dividend so kuch the better. Basically shit that doesnt move up in large chunks (hello to you TSLA and meme stocks). I have used KO, CSCO, PFE (pre-covid of course), T, VZ, etc in the past.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like I got snookered when I was advised to put a third of my money into an international etf.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I got snookered when I was advised to put a third of my money into an international etf.
Assuming it's your 401k and you've got 20 years for the rest of the world to dig themselves out of the dumb hole, you're probably fine.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, it's in my retirement account so it's fine, just amused/annoyed at it it doing garbage next to the rest of the stuff I've invested in since I started retirement investing.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, it's in my retirement account so it's fine, just amused/annoyed at it it doing garbage next to the rest of the stuff I've invested in since I started retirement investing.
Its like a club. Everyone has to endure shitty returns on Intl funds at least once. You earned your handstamp.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't think that's correct. I'm pretty sure you just need to learn how to read reddit.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ah, was wondering what happened. The early morning articles were all "markets finally breaking the down trend" but the markets were down 1%.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Euro numbers out today are abysmal too, everything is bad. Inflation up, debt up, spending down, forecasts down.

Things look to have kinda stopped getting worse here, but not so much across the pond. For some reason....

1661872042567.png

• 1Mother of God

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Europe is getting annihilated in energy costs. Over-reliance on Russian supplied gas supply into Germany. UK is raising residential price caps on household energy (set to double by Jan). UK businesses arent protected by energy price caps, so they are facing monster energy bills too and its all talk of small businesses like pubs and coffee shops closing as they can't keep up.

If things are this bad now, winter is going to be significantly worse.

PS. Germany also shot itself in the foot by deciding to close all nuclear plants after the Fukishima incident. You know, all that earthquake / tsunami risk in Germany! :rolleyes:

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Euro numbers out today are abysmal too, everything is bad. Inflation up, debt up, spending down, forecasts down.

Things look to have kinda stopped getting worse here, but not so much across the pond. For some reason....

View attachment 430575
They have a fucking VAT in electricity? How does that work?

Glad we haven't implemented that nonsense in the US.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Things I am keeping an eye on. BHP and RIO. I generally dislike ADRs. Global slowdown is impacting them in terms of materials like iron and copper but they both also have exposure to uranium and are both big enough to survive the economic downturn. Both have debt less than 1x EBITDA and pay a sizable dividend (which varies by quarter depending on profits) with lots of free cash flow. Very sensitive to materials prices.

ps.. BHP trades ex-dividend on Thursday so any shares bought today/tomorrow means capturing the dividend.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They have a fucking VAT in electricity? How does that work?

Glad we haven't implemented that nonsense in the US.

They get raped on VAT on tons of things, but don't worry, they'll be quick to remind us about their "free healthcare"

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They get raped on VAT on tons of things, but don't worry, they'll be quick to remind us about their "free healthcare"
I just don't even understand how that works. It's electricity.

What fucking raw materials are going into it? Utilities seem like they should be one of the foundations upon which a VAT would be built on. Or shit, just entirely exempt from the entire thing since it's a requirement of everything?

If there's a VAT on electricity, then you're going to get infinitely taxed on electricity. My mind is just full of fuck right now on how retarded that is. It's like the money multiplier on steroids, but for a tax.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users