Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My 2c, high-yield savings account. Inflation is probably already done most of its damage for the time being and we'll likely not see a ton more until the Fed pivots. Until that point we'll most likely see continued drops in pretty much all asset classes. So long as DXY continues to rise I don't think any asset class is really safe or has bottomed.
I mentioned it in Politics, but inflation being "flat" at this point only means it's increasing at a constant pace, not that it's slowed at all. Making it worse is now we're at large compounding inflation rates, where last August was 5.3% and now we've got 8.3% on top of it.

Inflation isn't even remotely done fucking us. Most are predicting that 2023 is when the actual pain starts (and they've been predicting it since the Spring).

Yeah, the rest of the world is worse off, but right now we're just ramping up into the economic pain to come.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mentioned it in Politics, but inflation being "flat" at this point only means it's increasing at a constant pace, not that it's slowed at all.
No it doesn't. It means that prices aren't moving much month to month but are still elevated from a year ago. Also people keep confusing 'inflation' with CPI.

I expect food prices to continue going up (due to war, climate, human stupidity, and the wage floor raising drastically, also fat people) and many other inputs to stay flat or go down. Materials, metals, etc, are all way down from their highs, and oil continues to settle at a reasonable level. House prices will drop, due to raising interest rates, which is good for people still hoarding huge amounts of cash, but I don't see the actual demand for houses going down, this country still has a shortfall of 10-20 million homes.

The thing to understand about the economy we live in right now is that the bottom quartile of workers have seen their hourly incomes raise about 50-60%, and their working hours increased due to labor shortages, therefore having quite a bit more money to spend, so things that those people spend their money on that are supply-constrained are going to remain drastically elevated. Food is definitely the biggest thing here, but also rents, used cars, etc. Someone who went from 12 dollars/hour @ 30 hours a week to 18 dollars/hour @ 45 hours a week is going to have a lot more economic wants. Those wants are going to drive more production but as long as things are supply-constrained vs elevated demand, they will continue to support high prices.

If there's more economic pain to come in 2023, which is certainly very possible and even likely, it'll be because the employment situation changes, as that's the last shoe left to drop at this point, but that would dampen demand and prices. That said, I don't predict a labor surplus any time soon.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"This could be a Fed decision day with good news, says Jim Cramer"

Ummm.. we're fucked.

• 2Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As I hoped, I closed out my MP puts for 50% profit in two days. I am paperhands McGee.

• 2Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
When they said soft landing, they failed to mention it taking 3 or 4 years to finally land.

1663783686699.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Median 2023 projection slightly above 4.6% now is what has the negative price pressures here. Everyone was expecting the 75bp move.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Median 2023 projection slightly above 4.6% now is what has the negative price pressures here. Everyone was expecting the 75bp move.
Shockingly, by doing this inch along approach to dealing with inflation it just extends the pain out for years.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Powell just flat out said we need a housing correction. Big red candles immediately after.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Powell just flat out said we need a housing correction. Big red candles immediately after.
Most people work for the opportunity to afford a home. If house prices keep going up, workers will keep demanding more and more money.

House prices have to come down. This has to include mortage rates going up, new construction happening, materials going down, and more employment in the sector.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember when WMT was left for dead a month ago? Inflation forcing all the urban white peepo to move from Trader Joes to Walmart.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
That "noise" is a hell of a lot of volume.
I guess , compare it to the volume of 3pm today till 4pm Friday.

Lows breaking. Still looking to be at near June lows at end of the week. Tomorrow going to be a lot more telling , pretty high risk for either side to enter a new trade right here.