Investing General Discussion

Rais

Trakanon Raider
It was all over the tech channels over the weekend that EVGA has cut ties with NVIDIA and will no longer be making any graphics cards using their tech anymore. Pretty big deal in the PC gaming world. They had something like a 30 year close relationship and EVGA has one of the best returns policies of the bunch. I am sure the other manufacturers like Gigabyte / MSI / etc will be happy to just take the EVGA allocations and fill the void.

The interesting notes were from the top staff of EVGA basically stating NVDIA are a nightmare to work with and there are absolute piles of 3000 series cards unsold (crash of crypto mining) and the demand for cards has just fallen off a cliff. NVIDIA are undercutting their own partners to try and shift all of the unsold products and there have been rumors of delaying 4000 series until old stock have been shifted.

There's no coincidence there was a massive shortage of GPUs when Bitcoin was exploding in price and now there is a glut of supply after the crypto crash of 2022.

Pic attached of NVIDIA undercutting price vs their partners:

View attachment 434085
This along with the new 4x series cards will need 1k power supplies. They are going to focus on that without their own partner undercutting them.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So Rumble is officially trading now ($RUM), how long until it's the next MAGA meme stock?

• 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So Thursday CPI plunged the SPY to around 382 when thoughts of 100 basis points hit. If the Fed goes the full 100, does SPY hold that level since it was sort of priced in or do we see the waterfall on Weds?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So Thursday CPI plunged the SPY to around 382 when thoughts of 100 basis points hit. If the Fed goes the full 100, does SPY hold that level since it was sort of priced in or do we see the waterfall on Weds?
I think it's priced in, but it might dip for a few days as a reflex.

That said, overnight money going into crypto makes tomorrow look like it'll be pretty strong green, idk.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still think current street pricing is something like 80% chance of 75bp and only 20% on 100bp. I'm sure market would dump if they came out with the latter, however, with all the "lagging indicators" talk on some of these inflation metrics, I fully expect JPow to play it cool with 75bp.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whatever you think of inflation here, Germany is in far worse shape!

German producer prices rose in August at their strongest rate since records began both in annual and monthly terms, driven mainly by soaring energy prices, raising the chances that headline inflation will surge even higher.

Producer prices of industrial products increased by 45.8% on the same month last year, the Federal Statistical Office reported on Tuesday. Compared to July 2022, prices rose 7.9%, it added.

PPI August readings up 7.9% month over month and 45.8% year over year! There's your direct spotlight on their energy crisis with Russian gas.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

PPI August readings up 7.9% month over month and 45.8% year over year! There's your direct spotlight on their energy crisis with Russian gas.
I shall shed no tears.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
These poor fucks. They could come here and get advice that loses them money for free.

• 2Like
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 2 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Advice for a friend please

She's getting a check for $110k from the sell of her home. She's renting a place now from a friend at a great rate and in no hurry to buy again. Where can she park the money for 1-3 years that's safe?

My thought is money market account or bond etfs

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That really depends.

If it's 3 years, SPY.

If it's 1 year, just open a SoFi account or other high-yield FDIC savings account, or a 1 year CD or something.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
2 year treasuries.
Safe is .. relative. Non- equities you will lose to inflation. Equities "should" produce over 3 years. You could also look at a low beta etf like JEPI or HDV. PFF is also an idea. For capital preservation in this environment its a tough call .

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
My 2c, high-yield savings account. Inflation is probably already done most of its damage for the time being and we'll likely not see a ton more until the Fed pivots. Until that point we'll most likely see continued drops in pretty much all asset classes. So long as DXY continues to rise I don't think any asset class is really safe or has bottomed.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Everything takes power to make and power to ship, warehouse, sell etc.. Ooops.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These poor fucks. They could come here and get advice that loses them money for free.

Fidu.. fiduci.. fiduciary.. what's that!?

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Again, whatever you think of the US economic situation, everywhere else is worse off and this is why there is such dollar strength at the moment.

05:07 (JP) Japan 10-year JGB bond agains fails to trade (2nd straight day)
**Note: 1st time since 1999 that 10-year bond has not traded for two straight days

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Again, whatever you think of the US economic situation, everywhere else is worse off and this is why there is such dollar strength at the moment.

05:07 (JP) Japan 10-year JGB bond agains fails to trade (2nd straight day)
**Note: 1st time since 1999 that 10-year bond has not traded for two straight days
Tom Hanks Space GIF by TV4