Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Market has a couple opportunities yesterday and today to fall apart and hasn't. Little things to watch but the VIX is holding on to that 30s level. We may be just getting a reprieve because of earnings . I'm still just holding short my weekly puts for friday expiration. They were down to like .10 yesterday making me think about rolling them up to a higher strike currently $250 QQQ which certainly seems "safe" at the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If every time someone posts a trade without very easily falsified "proof", they are in danger of a week long thread ban...

that just says "don't bother ever posting trades".

I don't see how anything is better by saying "SQQQ might be a shot here". Did somebody believe Mist actually dropped 100k on that play? Someone really thought that? For reals? MIST. The dude whos been running a two decade long transgender roleplay on an obscure internet forum?

brother, this is the internet. Its turtles all the way down.
I believe Mist bought 100k worth of sqqq and then sold it for profit. Would I make the same trade because Mist said so? Hell no. And no one else should either so there seems to be no point in demanding proofs.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
And thats fine. We all make our own judgements.

I don't believe Foler is rich or Aryasar is Russian. I don't even believe Booze is a big hugger. Turtles.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I believe Mist bought 100k worth of sqqq and then sold it for profit. Would I make the same trade because Mist said so? Hell no. And no one else should either so there seems to be no point in demanding proofs.
There is a small cumulative effect, the smarts will say they would never be affected but if Mist posts enough trades showing ez money more people will start putting weight into it. Maybe not copy the trade but start to be influenced by it. If you don't believe so then allow me to introduce you to the crypto market. If the trade was real, which I believed it was, there is something to learn from the actions of others both in success and in failure. It's more nuanced than trading advice, it's paying attention to what drives our trades, how does fear & greed play a role in our trading/investing.

I did what I did because I know to a good number of people who regularly contribute to this thread it matters. It doesn't matter to you, duly noted.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I own 70 million bitcoins that I bought for 3.50 each.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anniversary today.

October 19, 1987. Black Monday. A number of world markets dropped 20%, a few 30%.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
And thats fine. We all make our own judgements.

I don't believe Foler is rich or Aryasar is Russian. I don't even believe Booze is a big hugger. Turtles.
Makes sense, some may browse the thread purely for entertainment and they are certainly welcome to. There may at times, with such a perspective, be actions taken that don't coalesce with your view.

There is a small group that wants to learn and help each other, to the extend the medium allows, and we are all old enough we don't need a lesson about how "ItS the INTeRnET!"

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I don't buy the false dichotomy. Either we demand easily falsified proof or we are here just for shitposting and entertainment?

I'm gonna respectfully suggest that its possible to learn in an environment where you're skeptical about the veracity of what people are posting, and leave it at that.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't buy the false dichotomy. Either we demand easily falsified proof or we are here just for shitposting and entertainment?

I'm gonna respectfully suggest that its possible to learn in an environment where you're skeptical about the veracity of what people are posting, and leave it at that.
I'm 99% with you, people are smart enough to spot a bullshitter for the most part but yes every once in awhile I might play police to keep the needle pointed where we want it, towards productive ends.

• 1Solidarity

fris

Vyemm Raider
Foler shits up threads with pure bs looking for attention. I like that people share their trades here but it's not why I read this thread religiously. I hope to gain knowledge, which I think I have. If it becomes a fake epeen contest, those sharing knowledge will nope out.

I don't think we need a rule but I do appreciate admins trying to keep the bs out

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's pretty simple, if you're going to brag about making tons of money off of a trade, post the proof.

I don't know a trader alive that doesn't want to show off big wins.

The fact is, market traders are filled with bullshit and you need to have a check against bad actors trying to influence people. The dudes posting million dollar trades on a paper trade account grinds my gears like no other.

It takes a certain amount of vindication to post big money on positions that are worth looking into the why they did it.

I'm with blazin on this.

• 2Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Best thing we can all do is post our ideas in real time to the extent our schedules permit. People who reveal the winning hand after the fact are trades that should be most suspect. Nothing we can do about omission (posting wins/hiding losses). I have tried to talk about every single losing trade. I make a point of it just to try to combat that natural inclination towards focusing on wins and ignoring losses. There can be a lot more to learn from losses, not just avoiding them but learning how to manage a trade that's gone wrong is a big step towards success.

On today's news we have violated yesterday's lows with Monday's lows just below here. Not a great look but the consolidation for the next leg move continues.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
what purpose does a person have in this thread slinging bullshit we already have a 100 threads for that.
100? No wonder you suck at the stock market - can't count for shit!

• 2Worf

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Making people post screenshots and a bunch of bullshit every time they want to post hmm I think x stock might be a good buy is just annoying. If it is close to real time who cares we can all look at time stamps and judge if it was good advice or not.

I do agree posting wins is bad though.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I don't think what Blazin Blazin is saying is every time you claim you make a trade you have to post proof, he's saying that -when challenged- you must provide some kind of proof. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Big difference.

• 1Truth!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Making people post screenshots and a bunch of bullshit every time they want to post hmm I think x stock might be a good buy is just annoying. If it is close to real time who cares we can all look at time stamps and judge if it was good advice or not.

I do agree posting wins is bad though.
Nobody is making people post screenshots EVERY time, there is a small chance if I think you are gaying up the thread with BS trades that I might ask for some clarification. So you now have how many years of me moderating this thread and it's happened, lets count them, ONCE. I should have pushed SHonuff but I didn't and the thread was worse for it. Think the horse has been beaten enough.

• 1Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Don't think we have an excel thread so do we have any excel experts since we are only talking about that one time someone couldnt post in a thread for 7 days for making up trades? I'm creating a data entry form in VB and I want one of the entries to be a drop down calendar. I know how to add a drop down calendar inside excel but I can't figure out how to add it a VB form.

So if wanting to fill a "trade ticket" and then have it dump into a database but I don't want to be typing out the date on the ticket thus the drop down choice.

Use to be able to add "additional Controls" to your toolbox in VB but the date picker is no longer an option.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Market has a couple opportunities yesterday and today to fall apart and hasn't. Little things to watch but the VIX is holding on to that 30s level. We may be just getting a reprieve because of earnings . I'm still just holding short my weekly puts for friday expiration. They were down to like .10 yesterday making me think about rolling them up to a higher strike currently $250 QQQ which certainly seems "safe" at the moment.
I know people shit on CNBC but Bob Pisani was on Josh Brown's podcast last week and he talked about the VIX... and I was going to paraphase but I'll just link the youtube video. Should start where he talks about it. It's a great explainer on the VIX. FYI this was recorded last Thursday after the CPI print when the numbers were not good but the markets went up and we were in this thread talking about why.

If this doesn't work start at about the 8 minute mark or a few seconds after.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TSLA reporting after hours.

1666207834792.png

• 1Like