Investing General Discussion

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Eventually all bills come due. Japan does have a birth rate issue but so do all developed nations at this point.

Still the point remains a smaller GDP for a smaller population isn't necessarily a bad thing, yet most people fail to ever take that into account.
Monetary system as it currently exists relies on continuous expansion of the money supply via debt.

You're right, but our system in its current form can't absorb a contraction of the money supply, which lower GDP would cause, without cascading defaults. Money supply = debt. If Japan, and really all developed nations, didn't have state sponsored pensions that relied on increased tax revenue via cap gains tax (requiring ever increasing asset prices) and expanding debt (aka weren't ponzi schemes) we wouldn't be here. If we stuck to a hard money system rather than expanding money supply to cushion market contractions, you would be correct.

Gold bugs were always right about that part but they just suck at timing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold the $19 strike covered calls on my T with Nov 18 expiry. 14 cent premium. If called I turn just under 20% profit in under two months hold time (price appreciation, premium and dividend capture).

• 2Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
EDIT: Sounds like this is actually about China paying BTC bribes to US govt employee to obstruct some proceedings against Chinese company.

Just a rumor, but seems reasonable given recent Chinese sanctions.

I'm not sure how much the parent companies would be effected (KKR + SFTBY) but probably worth being aware of if you hold them:

Last edited:
  • 1Hodjing

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
123 - Copy.JPG

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, that was a nice entry. I was out in the garage and missed that dip! Grats!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Blazin Blazin question:

I've been in CAH since last year when you recommended it. So far it's up 49% (as of now) since then, and it's been on a good tear recently. So, the question is should I take profit at this point and add more alpha later after a downturn, or just hodl and leave it alone?

• 2Tendies

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Followed you on that one this morning. Up almost 6% ^ ^

View attachment 439612
Watch the reversal. $200 was based on the option chain at the $200 strike. Shit could disappear in a blink. I only have about half a position in TSLA right now so I add little bits now an then for the long haul (so im not as worried about the down move).

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Blazin Blazin question:

I've been in CAH since last year when you recommended it. So far it's up 49% (as of now) since then, and it's been on a good tear recently. So, the question is should I take profit at this point and add more alpha later after a downturn, or just hodl and leave it alone?
It's a nice divy stock and most of the opioid drama is now behind it, but it is entering the range $75-90 where it previously peaked and traded at for years which means it could start going sideways inside that range . Me, I would start selling covered calls. I don't want to see you lose that gain but I also don't want you to just sell a stock that is working because it's up a lot.

Decent forward PE, good sector set to continue to outperform. What have you been doing with dividends? DO you take cash or you reinvest?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
It's a nice divy stock and most of the opioid drama is now behind it, but it is entering the range $75-90 where it previously peaked and traded at for years which means it could start going sideways inside that range . Me, I would start selling covered calls. I don't want to see you lose that gain but I also don't want you to just sell a stock that is working because it's up a lot.

Decent forward PE, good sector set to continue to outperform. What have you been doing with dividends? DO you take cash or you reinvest?
I have it set to reinvest dividends. Also, it's not a lot of money in it... sadly. I should have put in at least twice or 3 times what I did, ah well.

As you say, if it's likely to stay in a sideways/slightly ascending channel, it's probably the wise play to just keep collecting dividends on it until a clear signal emerges of it breaking downwards.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have it set to reinvest dividends. Also, it's not a lot of money in it... sadly. I should have put in at least twice or 3 times what I did, ah well.

As you say, if it's likely to stay in a sideways/slightly ascending channel, it's probably the wise play to just keep collecting dividends on it until a clear signal emerges of it breaking downwards.
If it's not an oversized position I would keep reinvesting dividends and hold.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Best thing about being broke, all your positions are small. When you fuck up it doesn’t hurt that bad!

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Molten Core Raider
Best thing about being broke, all your positions are small. When you fuck up it doesn’t hurt that bad!
lol, I'm with ya! I would hazard a guess that most of the big players in this thread regularly take trades with more money than I have in the entire value of my account! Several of Blazins trades have been close to magnitudes of 10x that number!

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
lol, I'm with ya! I would hazard a guess that most of the big players in this thread regularly take trades with more money than I have in the entire value of my account! Several of Blazins trades have been close to magnitudes of 10x that number!
Last time I opened my accounts was Feb 23rd. Haven't looked since. My imagination of my money burning up is enough for me.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Last time I opened my accounts was Feb 23rd. Haven't looked since. My imagination of my money burning up is enough for me.
If you had it all in SQQQ then you can probably split Twitter with Elon and have money to spare.

• 1Worf