Investing General Discussion

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I'm completely retarded on the subject, but I was wondering if the makers of chatgpt had to have access (pay the fees) to all the journals, news paywalls and god knows what other paywalled info to get it's set. Assumed yes. From your article:

"Unlike Chinchilla, PaLM, or GPT-3, we only use datasets publicly available, making our work compatible with open-sourcing and reproducible, while most existing models rely on data which is either not publicly available or undocumented," tweeted project member Guillaume Lample.

Doesn't this make it dog shit from the start?

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The META AI news was last week. Also in the release, they said they have no plans for adding it to any user products and is for research use only. Share price spiked on initial news and once it was digested, sold back off.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Idk if Araysar broke him or not.
Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

The Northeast splits school X-Mas vacation so instead of two weeks at X-Mas its one week and then winter break in Feb. Enjoyed some warm weather for the week.

1677510274442.png

• 5Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Seems like we are settling into a pattern of gap ups at the open Monday followed by the bears selling it off. Until the bears get burned I see no reason for it to change.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Anyone done research on UPST? I've held some for the past year or so as it has plummeted. Looking at DCAing. It's a loan marketplace driven by AI. It keeps adding partners, but loan volume has obviously disappeared with rates where they are. Expect when normal loan conditions return, they'll do very well again, which seems like a no-brainer to just wait it out - what am I missing?

Zzen

Potato del Grande
ZIRP darling, but it might be a zero when rates aren’t zero.

Cut bait and move on, we’ve all been there brother. Plenty of us lost money on MTTR lol.

NFA, I am highly regarded, etc.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone done research on UPST? I've held some for the past year or so as it has plummeted. Looking at DCAing. It's a loan marketplace driven by AI. It keeps adding partners, but loan volume has obviously disappeared with rates where they are. Expect when normal loan conditions return, they'll do very well again, which seems like a no-brainer to just wait it out - what am I missing?

UPST absolutely got annihilited last year. Where's your average? We are talking a huge range of $400/share at end of 2021 highs to $18 today. Depending where your average is it, it could be insurmountable losses. That 95% loss from high to current price is going to take a >2000% gain to recoup.

Classically one of those speculative growth stocks that should have (and did get) dumped when Fed started talking rate hikes and recessions. Lending in a high rate environment, no more stimmy checks, and dampened consumer spending are going to kill anyone in that business... let alone unprofitable, speculative companies like UPST. Hell, 40% of the float is still shorted at $18.

Which part of this says "invest in me"?
upst.jpg

Honestly, this should have been the writing on the wall after this infamous clip:

My takeaway: Put your money elsewhere vs this company.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
UPST absolutely got annihilited last year. Where's your average? We are talking a huge range of $400/share at end of 2021 highs to $18 today. Depending where your average is it, it could be insurmountable losses. That 95% loss from high to current price is going to take a >2000% gain to recoup.

Classically one of those speculative growth stocks that should have (and did get) dumped when Fed started talking rate hikes and recessions. Lending in a high rate environment, no more stimmy checks, and dampened consumer spending are going to kill anyone in that business... let alone unprofitable, speculative companies like UPST. Hell, 40% of the float is still shorted at $18.

Which part of this says "invest in me"?
View attachment 460805

Honestly, this should have been the writing on the wall after this infamous clip:

My takeaway: Put your money elsewhere vs this company.
This is helpful. I'm in the high $50s I believe for about 25 shares, so thankfully nothing close to their ATH.