Investing General Discussion

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just got my house $$$.

So close to 6 figures in my checking account.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
He's talking about buying property in the future, after prices have fallen. He's thinking this virus is going to have a downward effect on the housing market, a position I'm inclined to agree with.

We'll see I guess.

Seems pretty much impossible to judge what the right time to buy would be, since noone knows what is going to happen.

Prices could be lower in june, is that the time to buy, or do you wait for a possible 2nd wave? If a first wave lowers prices, I'm sure a 2nd wave would have a larger impact.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
We will likely have an increase of houses for sale but we definitely have a decrease in new constructions for sale. And this will contend with pent up demand. As things stand now, I dont think prices will decrease on residential properties. If the economy takes the turn of the worse and we see mass layoffs instead of these temporary ones, then prices may head south.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
We will likely have an increase of houses for sale but we definitely have a decrease in new constructions for sale. And this will contend with pent up demand. As things stand now, I dont think prices will decrease on residential properties. If the economy takes the turn of the worse and we see mass layoffs instead of these temporary ones, then prices may head south.

I think we crossed that line after 2 weeks of shut down.

We are at 6wks now?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think we crossed that line after 2 weeks of shut down.

We are at 6wks now?
Eh. Most people that are out of work right now are 1) temporary out of work 2) people who dont own houses.

• 1Seriously?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Residual Tesla effect

I took a look at that company and not really sure how they plan to really take off but it still seems like a decent buy before the Nikola IPO simply because of Tesla blinding the average investor.
I'm associated with the truck industry so I have a little insight. Nikola isn't looking to sell to the average buyer (like Tesla or GM). They are focusing on fleet sales (like say Old Dominion). Their initial products are going to be using gliders. Gliders are basically chassis without the engine/tranny. They are mainly used by truck owners after an accident where the engine/tranny are OK but the body/frame is mangled. The engine/tranny are the $$ items.

So Nikola will build proto/proof of concepts using their engine/drive train in gliders they purchase. And then go from there. A couple of big Euro companies (I think Audi or Volvo) are also working the hydrogen concept.

For trucking, weight is everything. Hydrogen vehicles will be much lighter than electric and have near close to diesel range. So lighter = more cargo they can carry under the GVW. The challenge is infrastructure for the hydrogen refueling. Just like electric faces.

Does this thing take-off? Who knows. It isn't total vapor-ware in that they at least have a real concept and vision. As long as investor money keeps pouring in, they can keep it rolling.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Eh. Most people that are out of work right now are 1) temporary out of work 2) people who dont own houses.

Man it sure is great that everyone who doesn't own a house doesn't live somewhere with mortgage that needs paid. They must own their house I guess and not have to worry about it?

Up to 8% forebearance now. There's a reason REITs are getting slammed in the ass and Mac and Mae have changed their tune to "loan companies can definitely cover this minor blip" to "OH FUCK BAIL US OUT NOW"

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Man it sure is great that everyone who doesn't own a house doesn't live somewhere with mortgage that needs paid. They must own their house I guess and not have to worry about it?

Up to 8% forebearance now. There's a reason REITs are getting slammed in the ass and Mac and Mae have changed their tune to "loan companies can definitely cover this minor blip" to "OH FUCK BAIL US OUT NOW"
There is a reason I made money shorting the XLRE.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Majority of landlords can take some small losses without needing to liquidate their properties. REITS are getting fucked due to commercial property issues. -1.

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Broken uptrend plus extreme valuations. Hard to be bullish here. Also hard to get short and sit on the opposite side of the table from the FED. I'll go play some Monster Hunter hoping for lower prices.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For trucking, weight is everything. Hydrogen vehicles will be much lighter than electric and have near close to diesel range.

Their math seems odd. Gallon of diesel is about 45kwh. A high quality large diesel engine can convert that with about 45% efficiency, or about 20kwh/gallon carried. The nikola semi is claiming it can go 225 (100-300) miles on just it's 240kwh of battery power, the equivalent of 12 gallons of diesel in a semi, giving it around 8% of the range of a typical semi. I'm not well informed on how far semis typically go, is 2812 miles (1250-3750) the typical range of a 150 gal diesel truck Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes ? From there it somehow claims it can go twice as far if you throw in the sweet hydrogen power that they give no specs on. (Their specs for the reserve vehicles only claim electrical truck components, though they list a hypothetical hydrogen one.)

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say they discovered 100% efficient gears, axels, electric motors and battery discharge against the laws of physics. Even then, the only way their claim could possibly be true is if almost the entirety of that 225 miles is downhill is in neutral. In any real world situation their claims are simply false.

I'd get out before the autists look at this.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Majority of landlords can take some small losses without needing to liquidate their properties. REITS are getting fucked due to commercial property issues. -1.

Less people will be buying or building.

People will have less ability to pay rent.

Businesses are dying by the millions.

The price should go down.

But in fucking la la 2020 bizzaro world . . .

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Demand for Airbnbs will also crater, drying up a source of funding for residential properties. Commercial real estate will absolutely get hammered, and I have to think that is at least somewhat correlated to residential housing pricing. I suspect rich foreigners buying up properties will also take a hit.

Housing market is a trailing indicator, and we won't see real impact for 3-6 months.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Demand for Airbnbs will also crater, drying up a source of funding for residential properties. Commercial real estate will absolutely get hammered, and I have to think that is at least somewhat correlated to residential housing pricing. I suspect rich foreigners buying up properties will also take a hit.

Housing market is a trailing indicator, and we won't see real impact for 3-6 months.

Barring any 2020 economic voodoo, it should collapse.

I bought my house 5 years ago, for 105k. Sold it last week for 165k. Zero improvements.

Feels like a bubble.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I might need to up my schedule for upgrading the house.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Their math seems odd. Gallon of diesel is about 45kwh. A high quality large diesel engine can convert that with about 45% efficiency, or about 20kwh/gallon carried. The nikola semi is claiming it can go 225 (100-300) miles on just it's 240kwh of battery power, the equivalent of 12 gallons of diesel in a semi, giving it around 8% of the range of a typical semi. I'm not well informed on how far semis typically go, is 2812 miles (1250-3750) the typical range of a 150 gal diesel truck Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes ? From there it somehow claims it can go twice as far if you throw in the sweet hydrogen power that they give no specs on. (Their specs for the reserve vehicles only claim electrical truck components, though they list a hypothetical hydrogen one.)

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say they discovered 100% efficient gears, axels, electric motors and battery discharge against the laws of physics. Even then, the only way their claim could possibly be true is if almost the entirety of that 225 miles is downhill is in neutral. In any real world situation their claims are simply false.

I'd get out before the autists look at this.
I'm an owner, not an engineer. I'm in this to catch the fire from all the green Tesla types who missed out on the Tesla IPO.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider

But in this case it could be even more a trailing indicator because of allowed mortgage forbearance and FED help. Bottom line is that the government is going to do everything in its power to try to avoid a 2008 repeat. They're going to push for mortgage forbearance, they're going to keep funneling money to the unemployed and pretty much everything else they possibly can to keep people in their houses and keep the economy from flatlining.

And voila - another major action attempting to keep home prices from snowballing downwards:

• 1RAGE
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users