Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, Cathie was on a SQ buying spree recently. Between that and COIN getting smoked overnight (SEC after them), she's seeing a lot of red this morning.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So, Cathie was on a SQ buying spree recently. Between that and COIN getting smoked overnight (SEC after them), she's seeing a lot of red this morning.
She is just trying to offset her huge, future, capital gains taxes bro. Get off her back!

2023-03-23 08.40.45 www.zerohedge.com 91308ce720f2.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Took a starter position in UNP at $184. I made some good money in it a couple years ago and am circling back for more fun.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't know anything about Cathie Woods other than the stuff she gets mentioned here for. Looked her up on wiki.

All in the same paragraph.

Wood was named the best stock picker of 2020 by Bloomberg News editor-in-chief emeritus Matthew A. Winkler.

However, her flagship Ark Innovation fund fell 24% in 2021 and, in the first quarter of 2022, it was the worst performer among equity funds covered by Morningstar, Inc.
In early 2022, eight other funds managed by Wood, including funds focused on financial technology and space exploration were among the worst performers in their categories.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Technical analysis example. A very clear macro trend line that bounced support for SQ nearly exactly to the penny this morning.

SQ.jpg

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't know anything about Cathie Woods other than the stuff she gets mentioned here for. Looked her up on wiki.

All in the same paragraph.

Wood was named the best stock picker of 2020 by Bloomberg News editor-in-chief emeritus Matthew A. Winkler.

However, her flagship Ark Innovation fund fell 24% in 2021 and, in the first quarter of 2022, it was the worst performer among equity funds covered by Morningstar, Inc.
In early 2022, eight other funds managed by Wood, including funds focused on financial technology and space exploration were among the worst performers in their categories.
It's baffling. I assume people give her money to manage because they're brainwashed into thinking she's some kind of star, based on media appearances.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's baffling. I assume people give her money to manage because they're brainwashed into thinking she's some kind of star, based on media appearances.
CNBC basically anointed her the next coming of Jim Cramer and had her on every single day because she bought tech stocks during one of the greatest tech bull runs in history.

The irony is anointing her the next Jim Cramer has proven prophetic.

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just wrote the SPY puts expiring tomorrow at the $385 strike. 27 cent premium. I am ok owning it at that price.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

edit: Man, writing puts on SPY really does a number on your cash available to trade. It puts the trading Blazin Blazin does in an entirely new light.

Last edited:
  • 1Tendies
  • 1Diamond Hands

Molten Core Raider
I did the math one time (even though he told me not to) and he tied up more cash in a single trade by a magnitude of 5 than I have in my trade account lol.

• 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just wrote the SPY puts expiring tomorrow at the $385 strike. 27 cent premium. I am ok owning it at that price.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

edit: Man, writing puts on SPY really does a number on your cash available to trade. It puts the trading Blazin Blazin does in an entirely new light.
You have to buy 100 shares?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You have to buy 100 shares?
Each options contract is 100 shares. So for cash covered puts, yes you have to lock up the cash for 100 shares per contract at the strike. 385 strike means $38,500 per contract.

• 2Mother of God

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Each options contract is 100 shares. So for cash covered puts, yes you have to lock up the cash for 100 shares per contract at the strike. 385 strike means $38,500 per contract.
No, contract prices vary per strike. Right now, a SPY CALL at 385 strike price is $15.38. So, 1 contract will cost you 100 x 15.38 = $1538.

FYI market starting to tank...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Welp, I certainly could have timed those puts better. I still think $385 should hold up tomorrow but it cost me a fuckload of lost premium.

• 1Diamond Hands

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, contract prices vary per strike. Right now, a SPY CALL at 385 strike price is $15.38. So, 1 contract will cost you 100 x 15.38 = $1538.
Thats if you "buy" the puts. I dont buy, I write. I get that premium, I dont pay it. I have to put up cash to cover the shares at the strike price in case I am assigned and have to buy the shares.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users