Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Glad you’re not dead bro.

Certainly makes you understand the idea of the market transferring money from the impatient to the patient.

A little over a year since the peak and people are losing their minds lol
Being tongue in cheek with Gravel, but always a good reminder that it is possible for the market to zig and zag for very long periods and ultimately go nowhere. There are a ton of 20-30% moves up and down during such periods however.

What Gravel is actually talking about is a tight trading range. Which to measure against the past you have to first establish what size range. While our top to bottom range during this bear has actually not been that small. The box I show here is rather tight that we have spent "a lot" of time in.
Capture.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This shit is going to go on for 3-4 years at least, I think. In JEPI we trust. (Or doing your own options bullshit diligently but I got a job already.)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This shit is going to go on for 3-4 years at least, I think. In JEPI we trust.
Little bit of an exaggeration, but for some parts of the market not far off. IWM (Russell 2000 small caps) is one of the crappier long term charts. Like investing in Ford or Verizon. We are near 2018 levels.

These weak Fridays are just great timing for rolling puts, couldn't ask for more. I would love to sell a month out because Spring means a lot more farm work but premiums just not that enticing. Have an order right now for five SPY contracts for 4/21 $360 exp but I'm not taking less than $2.50 for that currently trading at $2.12. WIll probably be stuck sticking with weeklies for the majority of contracts.

...edit and to the early discussion Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes on cash securing puts, don't forget about the interest earned on that cash while it's locked up. Strategy is much more favorable than it was during zero interest rates. Get to add that 4% on top of premiums, this is the kind of shit that lets you upgrade your sub at lunchtime without feeling bad.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Little bit of an exaggeration, but for some parts of the market not far off. IWM (Russell 2000 small caps) is one of the crappier long term charts. Like investing in Ford or Verizon. We are near 2018 levels.

These weak Fridays are just great timing for rolling puts, couldn't ask for more. I would love to sell a month out because Spring means a lot more farm work but premiums just not that enticing. Have an order right now for five SPY contracts for 4/21 $360 exp but I'm not taking less than $2.50 for that currently trading at $2.12. WIll probably be stuck sticking with weeklies for the majority of contracts.

...edit and to the early discussion Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes on cash securing puts, don't forget about the interest earned on that cash while it's locked up. Strategy is much more favorable than it was during zero interest rates. Get to add that 4% on top of premiums, this is the kind of shit that lets you upgrade your sub at lunchtime without feeling bad.
Wait, you earn money market interest on the cash that's being held for the puts?

I wish I really understood this shit.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Being tongue in cheek with Gravel, but always a good reminder that it is possible for the market to zig and zag for very long periods and ultimately go nowhere. There are a ton of 20-30% moves up and down during such periods however.

What Gravel is actually talking about is a tight trading range. Which to measure against the past you have to first establish what size range. While our top to bottom range during this bear has actually not been that small. The box I show here is rather tight that we have spent "a lot" of time in.
View attachment 465404

Nice chart.

Since you’re the market historian, I'll ask- do you think we can go through a bear of this magnitude without a puke / capitulation moment?

That slow and steady grind is what the Fed wants, and the Fed is too stupid to get what it wants. That’s my core thesis. Not trying to fight the Fed, but I just don’t believe they can pull off such a dramatic shift in policy without breaking something (something big, not shitco banks like SVB / SBNY).

Maybe I’m just clinging a bear thesis, and am not being willing to reassess in light of new evidence though 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wait, you earn money market interest on the cash that's being held for the puts?

I wish I really understood this shit.
Unless you're with TD Ameritrade/Scwab they rob their clients cash assets paying them nothing. Cash securing a put is still held within settlement account so for Fidelity that sould likely be SPAXX with a current 7d yield of 4%

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Genius!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've got 30k just sitting in SPAXX and my SOFI savings account is up to 4% now, but if I wanted to do puts, that is really good to know.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm wondering if the market has hit somewhat of a bottom since interest rates are starting to come down. Look at the 2Y and 10Y.
For historical reference, the big market drops of 2000 / 2008 (and likely before it) came AFTER the rate cuts from the Fed.

• Less than a year into the dot-com bubble bursting, on Jan. 3, 2001, the Fed began an easing cycle that would see the federal funds rate move from 6.5% to 1.75% in about 11 months. However, it took until Oct. 9, 2002, before the stock market reached its nadir. That's a 645-calendar-day wait from initial decrease to actual bottom.
  • As the financial crisis began to take shape, the nation's central bank reduced the federal funds rate from 5.25% to an eventual range of 0%-0.25%. Though this rate-cutting began on Sept. 18, 2007, the stock market didn't bottom out until March 9, 2009, or 538 calendar days later.

• 2Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Nice chart.

Since you’re the market historian, I'll ask- do you think we can go through a bear of this magnitude without a puke / capitulation moment?

That slow and steady grind is what the Fed wants, and the Fed is too stupid to get what it wants. That’s more core thesis. Not trying to fight the Fed, but I just don’t believe they can pull off such a dramatic shift in policy without breaking something (something big, not shitco banks like SVB / SBNY).

Maybe I’m just clinging a bear thesis, and am not being willing to reassess in light of new evidence though 🤷‍♂️
Based on history simple answer is "No". But history only helps us with probabilities it doesn't predict the future. Couple things to consider is that the dynamics of cyclical bear markets are different than secular bear markets. We most often think of secular bear markets when we are putting on a bear party hats. If the larger bull trend that began with the 2013 breakout ending a 13yr secular bear market, is still intact then we don't need to see swings in sentiment as severe. Expansion cycles tend to last a pretty long time (1944-1966) (1982-2000) (2013-?) . My very zoomed out base case is that we are still in a secular bull market until price action tells us otherwise. Cyclical bears being just outsized corrections that will range more in the 20-30% peak to trough vs 50%+ stuff of secular bears.

There is no doubt a secular bear will come but you have to be careful not to spend the better part of your investment career seeing it around every corner. When it's here you'll know because the technicals will make it clear. I have posts of old laying out demographic issues that tend to drive these very large trends. A primary reason to believe that we aren't yet entering a secular bear is that millenials are still in throws of new household creation and have not yet reached their peak earnings.

To me the Jeremy grantham wet dream stuff is more likely to arrive late this decade or early next. THere are societal tension issues that will likely correspond with this, hitting more a zenith. We are close enough now that it's not a big stretch to see how that develop. FOr people who have turned over their brains over to social media outrage machine believe it's already here and the boogaloo is just around the corner, they are just amplifying something real that is growing. Makes them early but probably not wrong from a generational perspective.

These major trends are world changing when they come, Microsoft and apple may not even exist coming out of the next secular bear market. Things take time and where many go wrong is their impatience. The now always seems the most important forever at the zenith.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Based on history simple answer is "No". But history only helps us with probabilities it doesn't predict the future. Couple things to consider is that the dynamics of cyclical bear markets are different than secular bear markets. We most often think of secular bear markets when we are putting on a bear party hats. If the larger bull trend that began with the 2013 breakout ending a 13yr secular bear market, is still intact then we don't need to see swings in sentiment as severe. Expansion cycles tend to last a pretty long time (1944-1966) (1982-2000) (2013-?) . My very zoomed out base case is that we are still in a secular bull market until price action tells us otherwise. Cyclical bears being just outsized corrections that will range more in the 20-30% peak to trough vs 50%+ stuff of secular bears.

There is no doubt a secular bear will come but you have to be careful not to spend the better part of your investment career seeing it around every corner. When it's here you'll know because the technicals will make it clear. I have posts of old laying out demographic issues that tend to drive these very large trends. A primary reason to believe that we aren't yet entering a secular bear is that millenials are still in throws of new household creation and have not yet reached their peak earnings.

To me the Jeremy grantham wet dream stuff is more likely to arrive late this decade or early next. THere are societal tension issues that will likely correspond with this, hitting more a zenith. We are close enough now that it's not a big stretch to see how that develop. FOr people who have turned over their brains over to social media outrage machine believe it's already here and the boogaloo is just around the corner, they are just amplifying something real that is growing. Makes them early but probably not wrong from a generational perspective.

These major trends are world changing when they come, Microsoft and apple may not even exist coming out of the next secular bear market. Things take time and where many go wrong is their impatience. The now always seems the most important forever at the zenith.

Great stuff, will ruminate on this.

Amod Amod - any way said posts could be stickied
at the start of this thread?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had honestly forgotten that. Gracias.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Today's "max pain" $SPY price for options? You guessed it, right here at 395.

• 3Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SIVB shares converted to SIVBQ on the OTC market this morning. Those SIVB shares were trading at $39.5 when the news halt hit, now showing in the <$2 range this morning. Ouch. That's called headline risk while trying to scalp trade a bank that is swirling the bankruptcy drain. All in an instant, the shares you held are nearly worthless. Risk v reward death there.

Even those who were short have been stuck paying daily borrowing costs (even on weekends) until this resolved.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Even those who were short have been stuck paying daily borrowing costs (even on weekends) until this resolved.
So even though the stock is going to zero (the dream scenario of a short), if this goes long enough all their profits can be eaten up by borrowing costs if this takes too long to play out? I didnt realize it worked this way. I would have some sympathy but I hate shorts too much :p

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why emotionless trading is a requirement 101.

Since I ate the loss and sold my SPIR shares it has continued to drop another 15-20%. Sometimes eating the loss is the correct move. But it is hard for multiple reasons. All those reasons are emotional reasons. I still like the company and think it has a future. I hope it succeeds. But as an investment, when it stalled on the path to profitability this past earnings, the calculus changed as did the risk/reward.

Trade on fundamentals and technicals. Or trade because someone with more skill than you says buy (or sell). However you do it, dont ever trade on feels. As someone on this thread says a lot, trade whats in front of you. I had made decent coin on SPIR as a SPAC and reinvested it back in so only about 30% of my loss was not previous profits.

tldr: Check your emotions at the door, trade the fundamentals and technicals, dont jump into positions with both feet (start small and build once you see the entry was good), cut your losers short, and when the reason you bought the company changes, dont be afraid to eat a loss and save the capital you have left for another investment.

• 3Like