Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
With consumer debt at an all-time high, Visa/Mastercard/American Express intuitively seem like good plays. What am I missing?
The amount of defaulting that’s going to happen due to layoffs?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The amount of defaulting that’s going to happen due to layoffs?
Ahh.. that's the secret though. V and MA don't issue the debt, they just act as the middle man. Those cc defaults don't cost them money. AXP on the other hand...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember when pot stocks were the next big thing? TLRY from $116 to $1.85. I wonder if AI stocks are this week's pot stocks.

• 3Like
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Has there been any news on the debt ceiling talks? What is there to be optimistic about?
Latest news I have seen is agreement on 2 years of spending caps, rollbacks of some spending, (about 1 trillion), claw back of unspent Covid dollars. I believe they are gonna come up with a ceiling number in the agreement and then agree to let Congress work out the spending details.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, I never got around to selling anything yesterday, and was out all day today, which was probably a good thing.

fris

Vyemm Raider
I can't believe I did this with META and then again 1 quarter later with NVDA.

Friend of mine sent me this as a consolation:

View attachment 474967
I was talking to a guy at a bar tonight, since friend of my brothers. He was saying house much he made the other day of Nvidia. I said their jump in market cap was more than their lifetime rev and the dude said

"No...hahahaa .... Just no"

I didn't have my readers so I couldn't research on the spot. But reliving that argument in my head will go on rent free for some time

Nvidia current market cap is just shy of 1trilion
Nvidia market cap went up almost 25% the other day

Nvidia rev last 13 years is about $150b

That mofo

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

(Bloomberg) -- Cathie Wood defended her firm’s decision to bail on Nvidia Corp. before the chipmaker’s shares surged 160%, saying the computer-chip industry’s boom-bust cycle poses risks.

Risk. Isn't she supposed to be paid to read those tea leafs? I guess the better question is why is she still being paid to read the tea leafs?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
NVDA included I assume

From where I'm sitting it sure looks like big tech is giant empty bubble and the entire market is resting on it.
It's not that NVDA is a bad company or vaporware, its just caught up in the euphoria. I will be back as a buyer once reversion to the mean kicks in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
NVDA included I assume

From where I'm sitting it sure looks like big tech is giant empty bubble and the entire market is resting on it.
Big tech has looked like a bubble about to pop for quite a long time. Not sure I’d be willing to make any rash decisions based on that assessment. Personally, I just try to keep my investments balanced so any one big thing can’t bite me too hard, cause things have gone tits up before, and they will go tits up again. It’s the when part that only Cramer seems to know.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
NVDA included I assume

Why i cashed out. Nvidia has fantastic margins with a great product atm but a trillion dollars?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tech companies will always be overvalued because they control the message. Them and their friends own all these platforms, and they will always be hyping the next thing. It would take something incredibly severe to change that. No matter how much reputational and monetary damage they inflict on themselves with their bad behavior and dumb ideas, they always seem to come out on top, because they can promote whatever they want.

Short of people just turning all this stuff off, it's just not going to happen. Everyone consumes some kind of content, regardless of whether it's more fringe or more mainstream, but ultimately this handful of people seeds all the discussions. Everyone thinks they're part of some counterculture but it's all flowing downhill from the same river of bullshit.