Investing General Discussion

fris

Vyemm Raider
This probably isn't your last deal.

If you pay off your home, you can swing the mortgage payment into dollar cost average into the market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
20, 50, 100 and 200-DMA are all now moving upward on the .SPX
Just saying...

(yes, I know I missed the first part as we didn't really go red)

We're going to go red to start the year, and probably continue through the early summer before rallying to the end of the year massively (I really wanted to go 4960, which is 28.72% like we had in 2003 and 1993, but I don't see us doing quite that well).

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stupid question, Im sure. But can someone give me a better explanation of why Verizon isnt getting up and out of the fucking gutter than just saying "the economy is shit"? I see some of the other companies recovered to pre-covid levels, but then there are those like Verizon that just seem to be flopping around. Boeing I made a pretty penny on when it dropped below a 100 in 2020 - that was a no brainer if you had the money at the time. But buying Verizon at 36, even with dividends, I feel like that pool of money is just wasting my time. Not really losing anything, but not really making anything either. I was fine with just letting it sit, but its up 5% (not enough to recover) so its at the top of my list the last few days.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stupid question, Im sure. But can someone give me a better explanation of why Verizon isnt getting up and out of the fucking gutter than just saying "the economy is shit"? I see some of the other companies recovered to pre-covid levels, but then there are those like Verizon that just seem to be flopping around. Boeing I made a pretty penny on when it dropped below a 100 in 2020 - that was a no brainer if you had the money at the time. But buying Verizon at 36, even with dividends, I feel like that pool of money is just wasting my time. Not really losing anything, but not really making anything either. I was fine with just letting it sit, but its up 5% (not enough to recover) so its at the top of my list the last few days.

Ill try the tldr version:
VZ is a value stock. Value stocks have very little growth and tend to be cash cows. They dont generally get much stock price appreciation. They make lots of profits from their entrenched market positions and return those profits to owners in the forms of dividends. They are the opposite of growth stocks (no profits/dividends and lots of stock price appreciation)

edit: Blazin Blazin is the VZ expert btw. My cross to bear was T.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
And just like that the indexes drop

I'm always wondering at what point these multinational companies are going to take the fight to the government by saying "We manufacture these things in Taiwan/China , ship them direct, they never touch US soil, what authority do you have to tell us what we can't do outside the US?" And the government will come back and say "But you're BASED in the US, you have to follow our rules worldwide!"... and the companies will say "Oh, OK.. well we can fix that...."

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't they just incorporate in another country regardless? Apple and other megacorps do that with the Irish Tax Scheme.

Daidraco

Im looking at it from the angle that it would be foolish to think that the US Government would allow entities as big as Facebook, Google, etc. to exit out of the US system willfully. I honestly believe that if they did try to do something like that, the board members would be replaced, the trademarks would be revoked, and any number of countless ways that they could possibly fuck with them, they would. You would, from Zuckerburg's point of view, quite possibly cut your own throat financially.

The second part is, what part of the world, at least for now, is actually safe from the US's reach - and, the countries that arent working with the US - wouldnt they also be just as bad as the US, if not worse? Its just a tricky proposition all the way around and there should be no surprise that the CIA has infiltrated all the top fortune 500 companies.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Im looking at it from the angle that it would be foolish to think that the US Government would allow entities as big as Facebook, Google, etc. to exit out of the US system willfully.
Google already does claim most of its income in Ireland.

The real issue is IP enforcement. The US is king in that regard. If you don't comply with our laws, your patents could be forfeit.

Also, the DOD and the security agencies stop buying from you.

Not sure why a certain segment of Americans keep having a hard on for some kind of post-US government world where corpos, China and Russia fill the power vacuum left behind.

I'm 99% sure the outcome would be very bad for most Americans, left, right, and center.

• 1Truth!

Daidraco

Not sure why a certain segment of Americans keep having a hard on for some kind of post-US government world where corpos, China and Russia fill the power vacuum left behind.

I'm 99% sure the outcome would be very bad for most Americans, left, right, and center.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, as I dont think I said anything that would allude to that notion? Unless you're just speaking about it in general.

Im pretty sure that the majority of this forum is hyper-aggressive towards globalism.

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Make no mistake, I don't have any given level of erectile desire for such an outcome. I just see it as very probable in the long term. We're seeing the first of corporations getting big enough to start pushing back on governments, and unfortunately they will only get bigger over time since they can afford to pay off the right people to prevent they from being broken up, or willing to work as an extension of the government to stay in the government's good graces for now (looking at YOU, FB and Google...)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We're seeing the first of corporations getting big enough to start pushing back on governments
Oh sweet summer child.

John D. Rockefeller and Cornelius Vanderbilt before him both had way more money than the US government in their day. And those days kinda sucked.

Let's not go back to them.

• 1Pants on Fire!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Oh sweet summer child.

John D. Rockefeller and Cornelius Vanderbilt before him both had way more money than the US government in their day. And those days kinda sucked.

Let's not go back to them.
Again, you seem to think I want to go "back to those days"....

For me it's more of a semi-blackpilled factor of knowing we're heading into a dystopian future, and just trying to figure out which dystopian variant we're gonna land on. My current bet is somewhere between Shadowrun and Brazil, with maybe a little Brave New World sprinkled in for flavor.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you had to choose one.. which? Or do you have a better idea?
I'm no investment genius but I'm in a sommmewhat similar situation where I take home more than I spend and have to chose between paying down my mortgage and investing it. My mortgage interest rate is 2.85%, which is waaay lower than what you can expect to make when investing and is even substantially lower than current guaranteed investments. Never-the-less I'm emotionally attached to the idea of being debt free and am motivated to pay it off.

What I've chosen to do is just split the extra $$$ down the middle and invest half (I buy broad market funds like S&P500), and take the other half to help pay off the mortgage. I'm looking to do this again and am honestly considering investing the "mortgage" half into a CD or whatever with a 5+ % yield and basically consider that "mortgage money" that I'll use to pay off the mortgage when it expires.

This kind of split isn't carefully thought out of efficient or anything, just a basic diversification to own my own home a little sooner while investing.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
What I've chosen to do is just split the extra $$$ down the middle and invest half, and take the other half to help pay off the mortgage. I'm looking to do this again and am honestly considering investing the "mortgage" half into a CD or whatever with a 5+ % yield and basically consider that "mortgage money" that I'll use to pay off the mortgage when it expires.
This is basically how I pay off lower interest debt. I would generally just hold it as cash so I can be liquid if needed, but now that interest rates are decent a CD or money market account make sense. Just lump sum it once you can, but you end up getting the best of both worlds with current rates especially, plus you're liquid if something unexpected comes up.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, for a mortgage specifically wouldn't the amortization schedule impact how well this works? Not sure how that would affect the math

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I see people here now at the point where they are moving towards the final stages of planning for the rest of thier lives and my wife and I were in the same boat. We have avoided going to a financial planner because every single one of them offers "free" planning as long as you have "assets under management," which that means they are managing your IRA for a % fee every year, usually between .5-2%. The issue with this is that I have moved all of our market investments into very low fee total market index funds
and we also have rental real estate. None of these financial planners can adequately account for real estate; and even if they did, it would actually be losing them money since that is less in our IRA's for them to collect a fee on each year.

So, I finally found a class of planner that fit our needs: A flat fee financial advisor. They are just like the other planners except you pay them a set amount for their services and then they are done. We are about 80% of the way through the process with a guy named Kevin Burkle out of Florida. He has been meticulous and pretty fantastic overall. I am linking his website so that you can see what he is all about.

Flat Fee Financial Advisor | Jacksonville, FL | HCP Wealth Planning
Flat Fee Financial Advisor | Jacksonville, FL | HCP Wealth Planning
"As flat-fee only financial advisors, we provide advice-only financial planning to help young professionals and pre-retirees minimize taxes, optimize current and future income, and save and save and invest smarter"

He is super up front about everything and his website does a great job at explaining the why's and how's. His main harping point on us now is Estate Planning because he is all in on making sure you know where you are, where you want to be, and how to get there. If you have been looking for this type of service, or even if you haven't, we are at the age where it is good to know what you need to do over the next 20 years and what that looks like. For example, we actually asked him to run a scenario where I retire at 58 and my wife retires at 55; no other job, and paying for half of each of the 4 kids expected college expenses. He was able to do that easily and in our last meeting showed us on the fly what it would look like if we decided to work part time or move to funding a vacation each year along with the rest. Sufficed to say: It has been well worth the money. I asked him if we could pay him a smaller fee every few years to re-evaluate and he said "If I do my job right, you shouldn't need to re-evaluate unless something major happens." Oh, and he also gives you access to the planning software so that you can create different, new scenarios on your own.

In summary: Fee based financial advisors get 10 thumbs up from me.
The end

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes i know you are out of SPIR but I still have some shares, shows how much I’m paying attention to my portfolio… they did a 1-8 reverse split I thought the stock was mooning this morning.

• 2Diamond Hands