Investing General Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Your ex sounds like a very reasonable, upstanding member of society and I’m sure that sending her cash to pay off bills that are in your name and not hers will surely rectify your situation.

I keep getting mail / debt collection lawsuits to someone who I can only assume lived in my house before I bought it. I tried calling once to let the company know but they hung up on me, so now it goes straight in the garbage.
If you arent going to handle it properly - For your own safety, just put it in a shredder. Some petty ass fucker can tell the IG on you and the next thing you know theyre knocking on your door. As for legitimately handling it? Just put the letters "ANK" (Attempted, Not Known) on the front of it and put it back in the mail. May get a few more pieces of mail from them or someone similar to them, or even the same letter might come back to you, but just keep repeating that process and it'll stop. I have to help my tenants with this crap all the time.

I personally dont give a shit. Ive been in my house long enough that if theyre still sending something to me then it obviously isnt that important.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
If you arent going to handle it properly - For your own safety, just put it in a shredder. Some petty ass fucker can tell the IG on you and the next thing you know theyre knocking on your door. As for legitimately handling it? Just put the letters "ANK" (Attempted, Not Known) on the front of it and put it back in the mail. May get a few more pieces of mail from them or someone similar to them, or even the same letter might come back to you, but just keep repeating that process and it'll stop. I have to help my tenants with this crap all the time.

I personally dont give a shit. Ive been in my house long enough that if theyre still sending something to me then it obviously isnt that important.
7xd7jl.jpg

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
I bought me home 14 years ago And still hey mail to previous owners. It was a short sale so not surprising

fris

Vyemm Raider
Yup. Every home we looked at was priced at whatever the owner owed the bank at that time.

Then my X took half of the equity about 5 years. After the divorce, I owed more on it than we. originally purchased it for I think. I've had a total of 4 mortgages on this place now. When we originally bought in 08. Then refinance a few years later, forget the rates but we dropped to a 15 year and our payment was about the same. I refi'ed again 5 years ago to buy her out and in a rush didn't care about the rate. Refi'ed again a few years ago to a 20. I considered a 15 but wanted the flexibility in case my finances got unstable. Turns out a smart plan.

It's about 2/3 paid off and the mortgage is just under 3%.

• 4Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
edit. i was thinking about cutting back what I put into my HSA. I've been maxing it for a few years and never use it. this is what I get for considering that :)
An HSA is a great savings vehicle especially if you aren't using it for near term medical expense. You will undoubtedly increase your medical spend later in life, and in the event that you somehow don't you can withdraw HSA funds after age 65 and spend them for any purpose, without penalty (though you will pay income tax). It's basically a bonus IRA without income limits on contribution.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
An HSA is a great savings vehicle especially if you aren't using it for near term medical expense. You will undoubtedly increase your medical spend later in life, and in the event that you somehow don't you can withdraw HSA funds after age 65 and spend them for any purpose, without penalty (though you will pay income tax). It's basically a bonus IRA without income limits on contribution.
Medical expenses are one of those things you are almost guaranteed to use as you age.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, So it's once again time to bounce ideas off strangers on the internet...

I'm about to hit one of those windfalls you hit in sales (full disclosure, I'm a technical head paired with an account manager selling corporate IT stuff). I landed one of those "you made your number on this one deal this year" deals and commission check is hitting Thursday. It will be enough to do a few possible things (these are ones I've thought up so far...) :
  • Completely pay off the remainder on my current mortgage. Straight up paid off. And since we carry no credit card debt in Chez Haus, and currently have no car payments this is an attractive option to the debt hating asshole I am thanks to my grandfather raising me. Mortgage is just a hair over 3% (in the %3.05 range)
  • Drop a solid 20%+ down on land outside town to start building the "go here to live out my days" house on. (with enough left over to spend some money on starting development) I'm in my 50's and the endgame goal for me is living on 20-30 acres outside town with a big workshop, animals and growing whatever horticulture suits my fancy. (Already have a dozen growing peach saplings waiting for some land to call home) Starlink makes it so I could finish my career while living out there. Mortgage on it would be at market rates for someone with good credit, with an eye to refinance once the fed inevitably has to drop rates to zero to resuscitate the economy at some point in the not too distant future.
  • Invest it in the market - Looking at a split between a S&P tracker/slight outperformer ETF, and HDV for dividend yields and stability, maybe sprinkle in some URNM as my long shot bet. (This would mean probably forestalling purchasing land until some time mid next year, which would be good if a housing/real estate correction happens, but horrible if it keeps going up)
If you had to choose one.. which? Or do you have a better idea?

I'm already sectioning off enough for some splurge "reward" spending on myself and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus (she wanted a new stove, and needs a new gaming rig, I need a new phone and a C-n-C), and probably a nice 4 day weekend somewhere away from town to unwind, so that's already worked into the plans....

So what say you internet weirdoes? Sure, I know it's not Foler watch money or anything, but it's close enough to 6 figures to make a lowly poor second generation in from the farm caveman like myself happy. heh

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I'm about to hit one of those windfalls you hit in sales (full disclosure, I'm a technical head paired with an account manager selling corporate IT stuff). I landed one of those "you made your number on this one deal this year" deals and commission check is hitting Thursday. It will be enough to do a few possible things (these are ones I've thought up so far...) :
  • Completely pay off the remainder on my current mortgage. Straight up paid off. And since we carry no credit card debt in Chez Haus, and currently have no car payments this is an attractive option to the debt hating asshole I am thanks to my grandfather raising me. Mortgage is just a hair over 3% (in the %3.05 range)
  • Drop a solid 20%+ down on land outside town to start building the "go here to live out my days" house on. (with enough left over to spend some money on starting development) I'm in my 50's and the endgame goal for me is living on 20-30 acres outside town with a big workshop, animals and growing whatever horticulture suits my fancy. (Already have a dozen growing peach saplings waiting for some land to call home) Starlink makes it so I could finish my career while living out there. Mortgage on it would be at market rates for someone with good credit, with an eye to refinance once the fed inevitably has to drop rates to zero to resuscitate the economy at some point in the not too distant future.
  • Invest it in the market - Looking at a split between a S&P tracker/slight outperformer ETF, and HDV for dividend yields and stability, maybe sprinkle in some URNM as my long shot bet. (This would mean probably forestalling purchasing land until some time mid next year, which would be good if a housing/real estate correction happens, but horrible if it keeps going up)

I'm already sectioning off enough for some splurge "reward" spending on myself and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus (she wanted a new stove, and needs a new gaming rig, I need a new phone and a C-n-C), and probably a nice 4 day weekend somewhere away from town to unwind, so that's already worked into the plans....

So what say you internet weirdoes? Sure, I know it's not Foler watch money or anything, but it's close enough to 6 figures to make a lowly poor second generation in from the farm caveman like myself happy. heh

It's not the most economically efficient course, but I'd be tempted pay off the mortgage. Being totally debt-free brings a level of psychological freedom that's hard to describe. (I'm not debt-free right now, but I was for a long time and don't presently carry any beyond mortgage.) However, I'm assuming we're talking Real Money, so do the math out to make sure you're comfortable with the difference over time between the expected market gains and your mortgage.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I started having to register my opportunities when I got my architect title last year. I have the most won opportunities on the team by a lot. I have gotten paid for 0 of them all year.

Just the usual Mist sad trombone music.

• 1Tiresome

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The logical choice is invest it, because you're going to earn more than 3% easily.

But if I were you, I'd probably go the land route. I say that only because it'll be more difficult (slightly) to get a mortgage for the land if you pay off the house. My first inclination would be to pay off the house completely and get a mortgage for the land, then throw all the money you're spending on your mortgage currently at that. But since it's your primary residence, it makes it a little sticky with how mortgages and taxes work in the US.

Honestly, as long as you don't blow it on something retarded, there's not really a wrong answer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Drop it all in the SPY. You will thank me in ten years.

If your mortgage wasn't 3% I might feel different.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I feel like if this was any other time in the last decade, people would say pay off the house, but it's not so your money is going to be wildy more productive in the market. And wouldn't you sell your house to pay for the land anyways? Market seems like the unemotional and wise play here.

The land coule be a play, but it's going to stand empty for the next decade until I assume you sell your house. And land without capital to build infrastructure can be pretty boring, UNLESS you like piddling and setting up a shitty lil cabin and you Ms. Haus can spend weekends at? It might be a pretty plain place for a while unless you already have a skidsteer/tractor or want to hire someone to start throwing in roads n such.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'm the same boat as many of you involving the house. it's 3% and I make more than 3% just dropping it on the SPY (as mentioned). It's "cheap money".

The investment path makes sense, but also I have the land goal. I have been eyeing ITOT as the target probably for broad market investment after reading up on it from it's mentions here.

Another thought that hit me. Since my target goal was buying land around the end of this year. Use this cash to do a form of "rebalancing" my mess of a portfolio. Use it to buy how I want things distributed now, then sell off older stuff I want to rebalance away from (i.e. outside short term gains for tax purposes) to fund the land purchase later this year.

Being Texan we have a genetic drive that makes us want to own land with a house with a large porch so we can sit out front, drink mint julieps, and talk in a Foghorn Leghorn accent about how nice it is to own land....

I started having to register my opportunities when I got my architect title last year. I have the most won opportunities on the team by a lot. I have gotten paid for 0 of them all year.

Just the usual Mist sad trombone music.
If you're working as the architect on the deals and they get closed IMHO you should get paid, especially if you're involved enough in the sales process that you have to be documenting opportunities (the part of my job I find least enjoyable). We have a tier of architects who operated above my technical sphere who are comped based on larger territory attainment, but they still get paid when deals close.

Definitely crypto
I do actually hold a bag of crypto, but I've gone into "long term bear hibernation" mode on it. I don't see a good reason to throw more money in that direction until I see the crypto market as a whole get notably closer to that next watershed moment, which IMHO will be when it gets real world application and usability past BTCs existence as a "digital store of wealth". I had high hopes during this last bull run that the breakthrough was going to happen, but it really didn't.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm the same boat as many of you involving the house. it's 3% and I make more than 3% just dropping it on the SPY (as mentioned). It's "cheap money".

The investment path makes sense, but also I have the land goal. I have been eyeing ITOT as the target probably for broad market investment after reading up on it from it's mentions here.

Another thought that hit me. Since my target goal was buying land around the end of this year. Use this cash to do a form of "rebalancing" my mess of a portfolio. Use it to buy how I want things distributed now, then sell off older stuff I want to rebalance away from (i.e. outside short term gains for tax purposes) to fund the land purchase later this year.

Being Texan we have a genetic drive that makes us want to own land with a house with a large porch so we can sit out front, drink mint julieps, and talk in a Foghorn Leghorn accent about how nice it is to own land....

If you're working as the architect on the deals and they get closed IMHO you should get paid, especially if you're involved enough in the sales process that you have to be documenting opportunities (the part of my job I find least enjoyable). We have a tier of architects who operated above my technical sphere who are comped based on larger territory attainment, but they still get paid when deals close.

I do actually hold a bag of crypto, but I've gone into "long term bear hibernation" mode on it. I don't see a good reason to throw more money in that direction until I see the crypto market as a whole get notably closer to that next watershed moment, which IMHO will be when it gets real world application and usability past BTCs existence as a "digital store of wealth". I had high hopes during this last bull run that the breakthrough was going to happen, but it really didn't.
If you are looking to purchase land at the end of the year, you can put the cash into a 3 month or 6 month Treasury Note (you can buy the 6 month on the secondary market with an end of year expiry). Or just throw it into a high yield savings account.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I say invest most / pay extra for a combination of correct decision and feels good decision. That way you can’t regert much and end up with a win either way.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are looking to purchase land at the end of the year, you can put the cash into a 3 month or 6 month Treasury Note (you can buy the 6 month on the secondary market with an end of year expiry). Or just throw it into a high yield savings account.
Haus Haus

I agree with this. Current live yields on those treasuries:
1693401765483.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users