Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This isn't what you want to bank on with today's "rally". Its basically 3 or 4 tech names doing the lifting.

1698423701225.png

1698423750482.png

• 1Dislike
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
XLB (Materials SPDR) shorted almost 20%. Thats not a single company getting shorted like that. Its the entire materials sector. Blazin Blazin Jysin Jysin , outside of shit like Covid or the housing crash you ever seen an entire sector get shorted like this?

1698431567074.png

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
JEPI hit a 52-low
Yeah I'm stupid and didn't get the transfer done in time to buy another 10k. Oh well, I'm pretty sure the market will still be sucking on Monday

I'm going to be buying 10k JEPI, 15K SPY, 15K OEF. Or maybe shift those numbers around a bit. And then I'll be purchasing >9k more JEPI for my ROTH and HSA as soon as 2024 hits.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I'm stupid and didn't get the transfer done in time to buy another 10k. Oh well, I'm pretty sure the market will still be sucking on Monday

I'm going to be buying 10k JEPI, 15K SPY, 15K OEF. Or maybe shift those numbers around a bit. And then I'll be purchasing >9k more JEPI for my ROTH and HSA as soon as 2024 hits.
If you haven't already, I would deep dive the top ten holdings in JEPI. Since you are making it such an outsized position in your portfolio you hopefully have done serious due diligence into every one of its large holdings.

No matter how good a stick is, there are reasons for portfolio weights (except of course for core index holdings like SPY).

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Me too. It's all good, though. I'll throw myself at it until I eventually figure it out. Or I won't. I don't fucking care. I'm not having kids and I will probably stroke out before i retire, so long term wealth doesn't really mean dick to me does it.
I absolutely get what you are saying (not that I agree with it), but the issue I see isn't that you chased meme/wsb/discord stonks. The issue I see is that with all the sound investing advice we post here and that you read, you generally appear to ignore it. Maybe I am wrong on this.

I think we discussed it a year ago. Where would you have been if you took advice then, cut your losses and reinvested the capital in indexes/other solid stocks?

Bad investments are a part of the market. We all do it. Continuing bad habits though isn't.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you haven't already, I would deep dive the top ten holdings in JEPI. Since you are making it such an outsized position in your portfolio you hopefully have done serious due diligence into every one of its large holdings.

No matter how good a stick is, there are reasons for portfolio weights (except of course for core index holdings like SPY).
I have.

I have already stated that I am planning on the next 10 years to be a very rich-get-richer, sideways economy with little disruption, so I'm comfortable with my portfolio being bloated to the top. The massive disruption of the past 15 years appears to be dead, due to lack of 'free money' along with the fact that the internet is largely a 'solved' problem. I expect the world to be energy-restricted and GPU-bottlenecked for quite a while, with no new major enterprise innovations like 'cloud' on the horizon. 'AI' (read: LLMs) will just make the winners win more at first as it gets baked into subscription offerings from major vendors, though it could be incredibly disruptive once powerful models can run locally or at least at the edge without needing 80GB+ VRAM GPUs. And we're still well over a decade+ away from a true 'space age' or anything else that could shift the balance. Biotech seems dead, they could invent a vaccine for cancer tomorrow and 60% of the people wouldn't take it for 20 years or more because the pharma industry has blown their cred.

I honestly think Abbvie has the highest downside risk on that whole chart, since cheaper bio-similars are coming around, but they'll come up with something new that prints money, I'm sure.

That said, I may look at putting the planned OEF money into my FLPSX position instead, on second review.