Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It's possible. Corporate finance is part of my background, and I definitely can't do the technical stuff most people in this thread do, yourself included.

What I mean is if you value UNH solely based on its cashflows and you thought a consistent growth rate was actually pretty close to the truth for a monolithic insurance company, you would have your eye out for a situation like this.

Absurdly simplified example using FCFE since we can value equity directly. I'm choosing a performance level that makes the math illustrative, not any actual belief:

So if we want to compete with S&P on returns (with a lot more risk), we'd look at a $480ish share price. Right now we're at $440, which would imply the stock is 'cheap'. Who knows why-- Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes presumably has a hypothesis that it's an overcorrection of the sector applying to the stock. So you pick some up.

UNH previously grew cashflow 15% YoYoY. Maybe in the earnings call they only come out 5% up, and the stock tanks further. But that still fits your hypothesis, so you pick even more up at a greater discount.

That's all I'm saying. If your hypothesis is that other people are valuing UNH highly because they expected them to start mining lithium or getting into nuclear power or receive some oligopolistic regulatory requirements, I think it makes sense to be looking for prices that seem to discount a target level of actual operating performance.

Reading the post you linked, I think the reason I wouldn't A. not buy immediately and B. exit and try again is that I'd be afraid the market would realize its mistake and correct up, and I'd miss my chance. Everything's easy to see with hindsight, and knowing you could have done better is probably a good lesson, but pulling out and regrouping only to find the opportunity closed the next day when you're talking about 20 years feels shortsighted in the other direction.

I think I understand what you're saying, here are my thoughts on that, but they are quite biased since I'm a regular day trader.

I think that retail investors (even long term retail investors) who are still looking at Boomer fundamentals like PE ratios, cash flows, etc. are doing it wrong. The market these days is driven by hype, trends and larger macro events. I see this validate itself every day when I'm at the desk. Earnings reports are mostly excuses to pump stock up or down. Great example is Rent the Runway from few days ago. The earnings forecast was horrific, and the earnings came in even worse. What did the stock do? Rocket to the moon. Why? No reason. I see this happen all the time. The market often reacts completely irrationally to earnings reports and even economic announcements. BTW, one of the common things I hear about "averaging down" is "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

All these fundamentals you are talking about might have been important 50 years ago in the age of Warren Buffett and value investors, but in the modern age of hedge funds and traders buying and selling same position within minutes, and companies living only to beat next quarter's estimates, it doesn't matter anymore. Clorox has a PE ratio of 230 and the stock price doesnt care

In regards to UNH in particular... its always better to miss out on gains than to lose actual money. I wouldn't worry about missing out on opportunities especially when there are a lot of opportunities every day. I could go on at length here, but I think my other posts on dangers of averaging down, etc. covered it for the most part. One other thing I will add is that one of the most important lessons early on for me was that stock trading is less about learning how to make money and more about learning how to minimize risk and loss.

All that being said, I'm the guy who buys SPY for 20 years, so full disclosure that my practical experience here is nil.

That's the way to go if you just want to be on auto-pilot.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
A number of moving parts.
UNH and many other health insurers benefited post 'rona from the massive drop in non-life threatening surgeries. That was due as some point to to revert back so there is/was an expectation that their profit numbers had to at some point get back to pre-'rona levels. Its the dominant player in the space and its a space that is growing as we continue to age and grow our population.

LTD (about $60b) is about 2.5x free cash flows and its sitting on a pile of about $25b in cash. Debt is no real concern.

Sales growth was 14% last year but so was SG&A growth. I would like them to rope in expenses in. Overall it has a high quality balance sheet.

I doubt anyone looks at it and questions whether its a quality company or not. Its a question of price. Its trading at a PE of about 18.6, which is a discount of just under 10% to its 10-year average PE of 20.6. At this point with the market where it is, I'm looking for value. This is a sector I like, and a high quality name currently on sale to its 10-year average earnings. I'm scaling in to a full position for a long term hold. Would I be trading it short-term here? No. Especially ahead of earnings. I think a 15% upside from $440 over the next 52-weeks is almost a sure thing. Thats a $506 price target. It was there end of Feb (less than 6 weeks ago). I think 20%+ is much more likely but I will be content with the 15%.

A stock like this balances my portfolio and provides some contrast to my tech positions. Others may think of it differently and my have different investing objectives and timeframes. One of my core investing philosophies is to buy quality when I see it on sale and hold it. With SPY 2.5% below the all-time high, opportunities are few and far between. This stock could screw the pooch on earnings and take another 10% drop. Im not taking a full position just for this reason. If it does I evaluate the earnings report/investor call and depending on what I hear I fill my position on the drop or decide to just hold what I have.

Your mileage may vary.

S sliverstorm this is exactly what I mean by Boomer fundamentals. What you're looking at is a mountain of rationalizations only to arrive at 15% gain forecast for an entire year. SPY would blow that out of the water right now with even less risk.

1713014444905.png

The question to ask is why would you risk money investing money into UNH which is trending down for months and HOPING for a 15% annual return, when SPY delivers a historical 13% annual return and an estimated 23-27% return this year?

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think I understand what you're saying, here are my thoughts on that, but they are quite biased since I'm a regular day trader.

I think that retail investors (even long term retail investors) who are still looking at Boomer fundamentals like PE ratios, cash flows, etc. are doing it wrong. The market these days is driven by hype, trends and larger macro events. I see this validate itself every day when I'm at the desk. Earnings reports are mostly excuses to pump stock up or down. Great example is Rent the Runway from few days ago. The earnings forecast was horrific, and the earnings came in even worse. What did the stock do? Rocket to the moon. Why? No reason. I see this happen all the time. The market often reacts completely irrationally to earnings reports and even economic announcements. BTW, one of the common things I hear about "averaging down" is "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

All these fundamentals you are talking about might have been important 50 years ago in the age of Warren Buffett and value investors, but in the modern age of hedge funds and traders buying and selling same position within minutes, and companies living only to beat next quarter's estimates, it doesn't matter anymore. Clorox has a PE ratio of 230 and the stock price doesnt care

In regards to UNH in particular... its always better to miss out on gains than to lose actual money. I wouldn't worry about missing out on opportunities especially when there are a lot of opportunities every day. I could go on at length here, but I think my other posts on dangers of averaging down, etc. covered it for the most part. One other thing I will add is that one of the most important lessons early on for me was that stock trading is less about learning how to make money and more about learning how to minimize risk and loss.

That's the way to go if you just want to be on auto-pilot.
If your strategy is buy and hold for decades then the old fundamentals still matter. The list of companies who can sustain a hype machine for decades without ever delivering is basically 0, you eventually need fundamentals. That said if you are that type of investor you should just buy index funds because fundamentals can change too if you are the type to buy and never reevaluate for years.

short/medium term you are definitely right and many stocks do crazy things and sustain it for years just on the backs of a cult of personality or promise of future exponential growth.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looked at FRED data this morning. Biden signaling to Janet Powell to cut rates. Fed talking about slowing the rate of the run-off of the Fed balance sheet by 50%. Chart of % change from a year ago CPI. Look at Jan, Feb and Mar 2024. Three month trend upwards and Mar was the hottest since Sept of 2023.

1713018127049.png

To put where we are in perspective, I went back to the Carter years. Excuse my shitty freehand red line of "you are here".

1713018690962.png

Here is the data on historic Fed interest rates.

1713018914941.png

Aug 2000, CPI y/y rate was 3.35% and the Fed rate was 6.5%. Mar 2024 CPI y/y rate was hotter at 3.475 and the current Fed rate is 5.33%. So our current CPI rate of increase is higher than Aug of 2000 but we are running interest rates more than a full percent lower.

What is Janet going to do about a rate cut? Who the fuck knows. Its an election year. I think the Mid-East is going to play a big part in this. Oil is a part of CPI. Between oil, food and housing continuing to increase its gonna be difficult to see a downward move in that last three month trend of increase unless something there breaks.

Or I'm totally wrong. Either way Its just food for thought on shitpost Saturday.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People got used to near zero interest rates for so long that anything even approaching historical average seems outrageous. We've been saying it for years now that this Fed doesn't have the balls for it.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Looked at FRED data this morning. Biden signaling to Janet Powell to cut rates. Fed talking about slowing the rate of the run-off of the Fed balance sheet by 50%. Chart of % change from a year ago CPI. Look at Jan, Feb and Mar 2024. Three month trend upwards and Mar was the hottest since Sept of 2023.

View attachment 524555

To put where we are in perspective, I went back to the Carter years. Excuse my shitty freehand red line of "you are here".

View attachment 524557

Here is the data on historic Fed interest rates.

View attachment 524559

Aug 2000, CPI y/y rate was 3.35% and the Fed rate was 6.5%. Mar 2024 CPI y/y rate was hotter at 3.475 and the current Fed rate is 5.33%. So our current CPI rate of increase is higher than Aug of 2000 but we are running interest rates more than a full percent lower.

What is Janet going to do about a rate cut? Who the fuck knows. Its an election year. I think the Mid-East is going to play a big part in this. Oil is a part of CPI. Between oil, food and housing continuing to increase its gonna be difficult to see a downward move in that last three month trend of increase unless something there breaks.

Or I'm totally wrong. Either way Its just food for thought on shitpost Saturday.

Janet Powell is not a real person. You're confusing Janet Yellen with Jerome Powell. Janet Yellen has no control over interest rates.

• 2Worf
  • 1Let's Go Brandon!
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a nickname of derision, since the Yellen/Powell years are basically all lumped together and he's a giant fucking woman.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It's a nickname of derision, since the Yellen/Powell years are basically all lumped together and he's a giant fucking woman.

Nah, I think he's generally just senile at this point and cant keep names straight

• 1WTF

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yesterday Tesla rolled out FSD to all cars as a subscription model for $99 a month, free one month trial. Pretty brilliant move imo versus the 12k up front price. Wasn’t expecting this. This is the type of thing I didn’t see coming. Every day @cathy and Blazin Blazin are more vindicated on their long term TSLA positions.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I came.

I thought ukraine was the most telegraphed war ever and now this? Hope everyone is ready to buy the fear.

1000001005.jpg

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
IJS shaking out the weak. Are we strong Blazin Blazin ?

Looks like 92 is most traded zone. Unfortunately that's below the 200dma.

I would have sold when it broke below 100 and rejected at the retest. You're looking at a bit more downside I would think before a bounce where most dca traders will pick up shares.

• 1Diamond Hands

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yesterday Tesla rolled out FSD to all cars as a subscription model for $99 a month, free one month trial. Pretty brilliant move imo versus the 12k up front price. Wasn’t expecting this. This is the type of thing I didn’t see coming. Every day @cathy and Blazin Blazin are more vindicated on their long term TSLA positions.

I have a Model Y and haven't noticed this, but I generally don't like how FSD feels anyway. It's jerky on surface streets and changes lanes too much in traffic on the highway. The lane assist with dynamic cruise control is awesome, though. It drove for almost two hours straight in a variety of highway traffic and weather when I went on a weekend trip with the family recently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
UNH is touching 2.5 year lows. Got some industry-wide bad news on Medicare payments recently. 10-yr historic PE is 20.61. Today's PE is 18.86 (nearly 10% below). It makes tons of money. It ain't flashy or fancy. Buy it, hold it, forget about it for 20 years. If this support level fails it could potentially see a drop to test 400 (another 10% below today's open). This $445-$446 area is a solid entry point for a new position if you want to own this type of stock. Earnings are in 5 days. This will test the current support level. Play the weakness now with an entry sized position, if it misses on earnings let the market over-react and add on that drop. Caveat: This depends on "why" it misses on earnings. If it just misses "expectations" ignore it. If it announces a fundamental issue, then reassess the position.

Full disclosure - I am and have been acquiring it in this price range.

View attachment 524263

View attachment 524262

It's possible. Corporate finance is part of my background, and I definitely can't do the technical stuff most people in this thread do, yourself included.

What I mean is if you value UNH solely based on its cashflows and you thought a consistent growth rate was actually pretty close to the truth for a monolithic insurance company, you would have your eye out for a situation like this.

Absurdly simplified example using FCFE since we can value equity directly. I'm choosing a performance level that makes the math illustrative, not any actual belief:

So if we want to compete with S&P on returns (with a lot more risk), we'd look at a $480ish share price. Right now we're at $440, which would imply the stock is 'cheap'. Who knows why-- Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes presumably has a hypothesis that it's an overcorrection of the sector applying to the stock. So you pick some up.

UNH previously grew cashflow 15% YoYoY. Maybe in the earnings call they only come out 5% up, and the stock tanks further. But that still fits your hypothesis, so you pick even more up at a greater discount.

That's all I'm saying. If your hypothesis is that other people are valuing UNH highly because they expected them to start mining lithium or getting into nuclear power or receive some oligopolistic regulatory requirements, I think it makes sense to be looking for prices that seem to discount a target level of actual operating performance.

Reading the post you linked, I think the reason I wouldn't A. not buy immediately and B. exit and try again is that I'd be afraid the market would realize its mistake and correct up, and I'd miss my chance. Everything's easy to see with hindsight, and knowing you could have done better is probably a good lesson, but pulling out and regrouping only to find the opportunity closed the next day when you're talking about 20 years feels shortsighted in the other direction.

All that being said, I'm the guy who buys SPY for 20 years, so full disclosure that my practical experience here is nil.

UNH double beat and reaffirms to a slightly higher EPS for 2024. I had set my expectations at 15% above the $440 price over the next 12 months. That would be a $506 price target. Stock is up over 7% pre-market on earnings to $477. More than halfway to my price target with 51 weeks to go.

1713273600164.png

• 3Like
  • 1Tendies
  • 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 4 users