Investing General Discussion

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did more research on the dividend investing stuff, and since I don't intend to retire on $38,000 a year in my 30s it doesn't seem like a particularly good choice. Pretty cool if you do intend to just roam the american southwest in a van the rest of your life or whatever, though.

Sold the house, so finally have a firm number for what I'll have available to start my brokerage account investing. Looks like 38k. Obviously, as it is the year of our lord 2020, the only reasonable use of this money is to wait until November 2nd and invest 100% in TSLA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Did more research on the dividend investing stuff, and since I don't intend to retire on $38,000 a year in my 30s it doesn't seem like a particularly good choice. Pretty cool if you do intend to just roam the american southwest in a van the rest of your life or whatever, though.

Sold the house, so finally have a firm number for what I'll have available to start my brokerage account investing. Looks like 38k. Obviously, as it is the year of our lord 2020, the only reasonable use of this money is to wait until November 2nd and invest 100% in TSLA.
Pure dividend/fixed income portfolios are usually reserved for those who are retired and look to supplement other income with the dividend/interest payments so as not to have to touch the principal. That being said I like dividends because its profit coming back into my pocket on top of price appreciation. Specifically I tend to look for industrials that pay dividends to offset my tech/growth stocks. I'm old enough to remember the lean years when stocks went sideways for long stretches. Making 3% on a stock through dividends was a definite plus in those times.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also depends on a size of a portfolio, right!? If I have 5 mil earning 3% a year it's not too crazy to retire on that at any age when you no longer have to support your kids.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Been within the lifetime of most people on this board that there was a massive shift with companies looking to asset appreciation and driving up the price of the stock from growth and a steady dividend for a lot of companies. Had both forever but there's been a pretty large shift over time in the last 50 years.

Since I no longer have the money or the connections to put money into companies I knew well and had a stake in the company I'm about to get into the market more than I have in the past. Great timing lol.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SPAC GMHI agrees to merge with a lidar company Luminar. As always do your own due diligence.

Gores Metropoulos, Autonomous Vehicle Company Luminar Agree to Merge
BY MT Newswires
— 8:14 AM ET 08/24/2020

08:14 AM EDT, 08/24/2020 (MT Newswires) -- Gores Metropoulos, Inc. (GMHI) , a special purpose acquisition company, and autonomous vehicle sensor and software company Luminar have signed a definitive agreement to merge, according to a statement issued on Monday.
Financial terms were not disclosed.
On completion of the deal, the combined company will have an implied pro forma enterprise value of approximately $2.9 billion, an equity value of about $3.4 billion and will operate under the name Luminar Technologies. It will be listed on Nasdaq under the new ticker symbol "LAZR."
As part of the transaction, Luminar's stockholders will receive approximately 271.8 million shares of Gores Metropoulos (GMHI) common stock at closing.
GMHI rose 7% in pre-market trading.
Price: 11.50, Change: +0.85, Percent Change: +7.98

MT Newswires does not provide investment advice. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Edit : I forgot to add that i have an order in to buy at $11 before the open. I am not chasing it up beyond that.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been within the lifetime of most people on this board that there was a massive shift with companies looking to asset appreciation and driving up the price of the stock from growth and a steady dividend for a lot of companies. Had both forever but there's been a pretty large shift over time in the last 50 years.

Since I no longer have the money or the connections to put money into companies I knew well and had a stake in the company I'm about to get into the market more than I have in the past. Great timing lol.
Speaking of dividends..

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of dividends..

I normally try to aim for 1.5-2% dividends where I put my money, but I just straight up threw that idea out the window for this year. I don't think you can really read much into dividends from most companies. Reducing them and being defensive is probably a wise move, and won't hold it against any company that does it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Airlines and Cruise lines pumping this morning on the plasma announcement. I have seen this movie and know how it ends. Getting ready to sell more covered calls.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And my trailing stop executed at 2050

You made me do this.

1598279979582.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The whole market is detached from reality...

Fucking clown world indeed.

Read something on Bloomberg, should have linked it here. Some guy was saying the markets could rise another 10% in the next year because of all the fed money.

I don't care what people say, it's straight inflation imo

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SPAC GMHI agrees to merge with a lidar company Luminar. As always do your own due diligence.

Gores Metropoulos, Autonomous Vehicle Company Luminar Agree to Merge
BY MT Newswires
— 8:14 AM ET 08/24/2020

08:14 AM EDT, 08/24/2020 (MT Newswires) -- Gores Metropoulos, Inc. (GMHI) , a special purpose acquisition company, and autonomous vehicle sensor and software company Luminar have signed a definitive agreement to merge, according to a statement issued on Monday.
Financial terms were not disclosed.
On completion of the deal, the combined company will have an implied pro forma enterprise value of approximately $2.9 billion, an equity value of about $3.4 billion and will operate under the name Luminar Technologies. It will be listed on Nasdaq under the new ticker symbol "LAZR."
As part of the transaction, Luminar's stockholders will receive approximately 271.8 million shares of Gores Metropoulos (GMHI) common stock at closing.
GMHI rose 7% in pre-market trading.
Price: 11.50, Change: +0.85, Percent Change: +7.98

MT Newswires does not provide investment advice. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Edit : I forgot to add that i have an order in to buy at $11 before the open. I am not chasing it up beyond that.
Limit order didnt trip pre-market so I set the same order after the open. Just tripped. Dipped down to $10.83 before bouncing back just under $11. Peter Thiel and Volvo (among others) is backing this 24 year old CEO/Founder.

Think I have cash riding on 5 SPACS now.

Some basic info on Luminar...

Last edited: