Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Ok i'll tell my PLTR story. Bought 4k shares @10 opening day, then the next few days dollar cost averaged it down to 9.50ish a share for 7k shares. When it popped I set a trailing stop loss on 2k shares and it hit around 9.8 or so. So make a few hundred and got the share # amount I want long term at under IPO.

I'm trying to read about covered calls and what not, but not sure if I should be tempted to go down that road. It just ups and risk and rewards overall right?

I'm happy holding my 5k shares long term. IF it crashes back down to 9, i'll buy more and repeat what I did above and get my DCA down more. This is my pie in the sky holding. Part of me WANTS it to crash back to 9 so I can buy more, but maybe thats foolish.
Covered calls are ideally used when you think the stock will go flat or down. You sell the calls at a strike you believe won't be hit and the options expire worthless and you keep the premium. Selling them on a stock that is very new without any track record is risky and I dont think the reward would outweigh the risk. The risk of course if you sell calls for like $12.50 and it shoots up to $15 and you are forced to sell them at $12.50

I do them regularly with DAL but I am always deep out of the money and very short duration. If they do get exercised I am ok with the strike as profit.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok i'll tell my PLTR story. Bought 4k shares @10 opening day, then the next few days dollar cost averaged it down to 9.50ish a share for 7k shares. When it popped I set a trailing stop loss on 2k shares and it hit around 9.8 or so. So make a few hundred and got the share # amount I want long term at under IPO.

I'm trying to read about covered calls and what not, but not sure if I should be tempted to go down that road. It just ups and risk and rewards overall right?

I'm happy holding my 5k shares long term. IF it crashes back down to 9, i'll buy more and repeat what I did above and get my DCA down more. This is my pie in the sky holding. Part of me WANTS it to crash back to 9 so I can buy more, but maybe thats foolish.

The additional risk of selling covered calls is the risk of missing out on upside gains above the strike not additional risk to capital. There is also additional risk in that you can't sell the underlining without closing the option, but that seems rather minor. If its way down the calls will be worthless and easily closed, allowing you to sell.

So in your example you could sell 50 contracts for the 10/16 12.50 calls for lets say $0.25. You would immediately collect $1,250 in premium which is your to keep no matter what happens. If it rallies over $12.50 on 10/16 your shares could be called away.

10/16 Expiration $12.50 Strike PLTR 201016C12.5

On 10/16 the price is below $12.50/share. Nothing happens the options expire worthless and keep the $1,250 and are free to sell calls again

On 10/16 the price is higher than $12.50/share. Your shares are sold @ $12.50/share you are credited $62,500 plus you keep the $1,250 premium.

You just have to ask yourself how you would feel it popped to $15/share are you going to be happy that you made the $13,750 profit or upset you missed out on the $25,000 profit.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
You just have to ask yourself how you would feel it popped to $15/share are you going to be happy that you made the $13,750 profit or upset you missed out on the $25,000 profit.

Super pissed because this is supposed to be my long "I bought amazon when they just sold books" play.

Who comes up with the date 10/16? Is it just a every friday thing? What if the stock goes above 12.5 before 10/16? Can the person who bought the calls be like "ok gimme" or does he have to wait for 10/16 (and when on 10/16? market close?)

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Super pissed because this is supposed to be my long "I bought amazon when they just sold books" play.

Who comes up with the date 10/16? Is it just a every friday thing? What if the stock goes above 12.5 before 10/16? Can the person who bought the calls be like "ok gimme" or does he have to wait for 10/16 (and when on 10/16? market close?)
Most options expire the 3rd friday of the month. Some companies actually trade weekly options.

There are American and Euro style options. Some can be called at will and others only on expiry.

My honest advice is you really need to do some reading/watching on at least the basics of options. There is a ton of info out there. I would hate to see you make a rookie mistake that costs you $$$. Spend some time reading. This thread has a ton of links on options (I did the posts myself), or just spend some time on Google.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Most options expire the 3rd friday of the month. Some companies actually trade weekly options.

There are American and Euro style options. Some can be called at will and others only on expiry.

My honest advice is you really need to do some reading/watching on at least the basics of options. There is a ton of info out there. I would hate to see you make a rookie mistake that costs you $$$. Spend some time reading. This thread has a ton of links on options (I did the posts myself), or just spend some time on Google.

Yeah I won't mess with any of them until I get a firm grasp. I may never do it.

Don't want to triple post so ill put it here: I finally cut loose my cruise line stocks. Made a good profit but I needed the money elsewhere. I think the cruiselines will take longer to swing back up then the airlines. Ill keep one eye on them though incase they crash down again.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
have no intention of selling below a certain number of shares

Then problem solved, don't sell calls against it. If that is your stance then I wouldn't even be watching the stock price besides maybe once a quarter. You'll never bag an amazon or a netflix without sitting through incredible volatility, and the best way to do that is to not even know it's happening. I do think based on what you said you are probably taking too much single stock risk but I really don't want to dissuade you from that if you are comfortable with it and it's a risk you want to take for the potential reward.

Speaking to investing behavior in general and not specifically to PLTR, I do want to note that in the long term, people doubling down on stocks that are dropping results in more pain than doubling down on positions that are working instead of trying to dig out of holes by going in deeper. Many people never learn this lesson and some learn it after very expensive experience.

The investor graveyards are full of people who went way deeper into positions trying to get out of a red positions. Any professional trader with some time under their belt will usually list this as rule #1 of turning the tide towards success. Cut losers, add to winners.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Futures up. Interested to see how the market reacts to last night. Plus jobs report today. Buckle up.

Also didn't realize how helpful the report I got from Exxon quarterly about upcoming turnarounds at the various refineries, even their competitors and the expected demand for gas and diesel. When shifts to seasonal blends would start at each refinery. Would be helpful in the future, oh well.

I'm sure it's available freely in multiple places.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

Wake up to this bs. You trying too hard yahoo. My stonks are going up while you bear.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Pelosi just torpedoed the airlines. No standalone airline bill. I'm sure those tens of thousands of union airline workers getting canned will go vote blue in a few weeks. On the brightside, my DAL calls are looking pretty safe now.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I bought 75 shares of ARKG to hold long term. Got it at like 50$/per.

Not regretting it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes any advice on where to set covered puts on X / GE?

Have enough of it I might as well start churning it weekly like you guys were talking about
I bow to Blazin Blazin as the options expert, but it starts with what your cost basis is and what you are willing to take as a profit. Also, i assume you mean covered calls and not puts. With low price stocks, there isnt a lot of play in the strikes.

A couple of caveats. I am not very familiar with the stocks besides knowing who they are of course.
Earnings is on 10/28 for GE and 10/29 for X. Because I dont follow them I cant advise you to do anything before earnings as I dont know what to expect.

Here is an example if earnings werent in a few weeks...
GE
If you go out about 20% upwards you are looking at about a $7.50 strike.
The october 30 $7.50 is going for 8 cents.
The november 6 $ 7.50 is going for 11 cents.
So $8 or $11 for each hundred shares you option.
Increase the risk and the $7 strikes are 18 cents and 24 cents respectively.
It sounds pathetic but realize 6 cents is 1% of the current price. that 11 cents a share is roughly a 2% gain if you can swipe the premium without being exercised.
Its got intermediate resistance at 6.60 (which is right where it is). This is another reason I would wait until earnings. Its price is currently at a technical resistance level.

1602178392714.png

X
Earnings are 10/29. You could try to squeeze in a quick flip.
The 10/23 $9.5 strike paying 13 cents could be dicey but the $10 strike only pays 7 cents. The $10 is about 20% above current. It has resistance at $9.25 and hasn't touched $9.50 since june, so $9.50 could be a safe play for 15 days. That $9.50 strike pays $13 per hundred shares for 15 days.
The 10/16 is only 8 days out but pays 9 cents and 6 cents (9.50 and 10 strikes). The advantage is you are only holding until next Friday.
If you go the $10 strike there is only a penny difference to risk the extra week so I wouldnt play that. On the $10 strike I would go the 8 days on 10/8. There is a much bigger reward for the extra week's risk on the $9.50 play. If I did $9.50 I would add the extra week.
1602178977265.png

So at this point it depends on your cost basis and are you willing to be called and forced to sell at those prices (keeping the premium of course).

Hope this helps.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
NFIN - someone started moving big chunks of this SPAC this afternoon. 100,000 blocks, 50,000 blocks etc. One block took out the asks and the stock broke upwards about 5% and took out the old high before settling back. 90-day volume is 200k. Today over 1.6m. The conference call Triterras had with investors went well according to all reports I have seen.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
LOL at the chart for NFIN from April through June. It looks like a interval setting graph on a stairmaster.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
LOL at the chart for NFIN from April through June. It looks like a interval setting graph on a stairmaster.
Trust me I know. I have been on that bitch for a while now. Be nice if they close the deal at the end of the month as planned.