Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Right. That’s what my comment about cash on hand meant. I’ve seen companies valued way lower than they other buy the bigger company simply because the low value company had more cash hoarded than the big company.
I find M&A interesting. Sort of missed out not choosing to set my path in that direction.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Awesome. You enjoy it?
For the most part. I run a very small consultancy. I'm a numbers geek at heart; the sales and business development aspects are an ongoing challenge and activity can be very uneven. (It's been basically dead for the last 9 months, but when it's good it's good enough I can float times like this.) Our analysis is based on a specialized linear optimization modeling system developed by me and my partner over the last 15 years, and working on that is the part I enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Blow kiss.gif

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I have a fun tale of the market helping me out yesterday. I'm an employee of a subsidiary of Eaton Vance. Woke up yesterday morning to news that we were bought out by Morgan Stanley.

Bought at a premium, stock up 50%, all my incentive stock that was going to vest over 5 years, vested immediately.

So that was nice.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone buy/sell physical metal? I've found a few reddit groups, especially pmsforsale that claim to facilitate the trades. The biggest issue i'm finding is how to safely buy and sell without getting screwed either by outright theft/fraud or big companies paying too far below spot.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Anyone buy/sell physical metal? I've found a few reddit groups, especially pmsforsale that claim to facilitate the trades. The biggest issue i'm finding is how to safely buy and sell without getting screwed either by outright theft/fraud or big companies paying too far below spot.
My recommendation is don't. I wouldn't buy commodities unless I had to for a job, especially not precious metals where there is not only fraud, but extremely convincing and hard to detect fraud. And i REALLY wouldn't go to reddit PMs as my first option if I still felt compelled to risk a 100% loss and buy metal. There's actual reputable companies/mints.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
I have a fun tale of the market helping me out yesterday. I'm an employee of a subsidiary of Eaton Vance. Woke up yesterday morning to news that we were bought out by Morgan Stanley.

Bought at a premium, stock up 50%, all my incentive stock that was going to vest over 5 years, vested immediately.

So that was nice.
Hard to beat a 50% up day. Thats SPAC-like. 😀

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
My recommendation is don't. I wouldn't buy commodities unless I had to for a job, especially not precious metals where there is not only fraud, but extremely convincing and hard to detect fraud. And i REALLY wouldn't go to reddit PMs as my first option if I still felt compelled to risk a 100% loss and buy metal. There's actual reputable companies/mints.

I mostly agree, but if you already have it and want to sell...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'd be pretty suspicious of a friend who came and asked me for help selling gold on reddit PMs to say the least.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'd be pretty suspicious of a friend who came and asked me for help selling gold on reddit PMs to say the least.

No, he sells kitco and apmex for years. I'm just trying to help him find a way to get better prices. But maybe selling through the big guys is just safest and the cost of dealing with these, liquidity wise. I DO KNOW he was scammed by a buyer on ebay once who sent back a empty package for a full refund. And ebay/paypal and the post office all did jack shit.