Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A dealer never partakes in his stash. I sell premium I don't buy it.

Having said that it's not a horrible way to give up some alpha for downside protection.
It's sort of counter-intuitive. It's like, I trust my analysis enough to write puts but at the same time let me throw some cash away just in case I screw the pooch. I'll spend some time modeling some ideas this weekend. I guess the way to look at it is as catastrophic event insurance. My initial thought is the insurance premium won't pay for itself unless things go totally fucky.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unicorn list. Possible PSTH targets. I am really surprised SpaceX only has a 25b valuation.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If they buy SpaceX would it be too cheesy to say the stock will go to the moon?

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Unicorn list. Possible PSTH targets. I am really surprised SpaceX only has a 25b valuation.

SpaceX valuation is $46B.

But I'm sure if it went public the market would send it to $100B pretty quickly at the least.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So with the latest goings on with the banning spree of FB, TWTR, GOOG etc I am thinking of moving off of QQQ and going to XLK. Financially, it's not as a high of a return ETF as QQQ and it's weighting at the top is really heavy into AAPL and MSFT, but it allows me to avoid the Communication sector stocks that are low on my happy list. I need to weigh my quest for alpha with my personal disgust for those companies.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You guys get the rim rental business, I'll get the rim repo business. Double dipping!

I know a guy that did that for a number of years. It was just one company. Told me they had sold the same set of rims a dozen times. Repo'd it and resold it and then rented them till it wasn't profitable to go through the effort of getting them back lol.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What's a good investment website to follow? MarketWatch seems to mostly be clickbaity political crap disguised as "investment advice". Don't say Twitter.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What's a good investment website to follow? MarketWatch seems to mostly be clickbaity political crap disguised as "investment advice". Don't say Twitter.
The good research ones all require you to pay up. Blazin Blazin has mentioned the one he pays for I think but I forgot what it was.

Stock Investing | Morningstar is a good one if you're willing to shell out for it. I used it for a few years but stopped some time ago due to lack of time to spend on research.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Motley Fool issues rare triple buy! This stock could be like owning Amazon at $18! This is the stock investment brokers don’t want you to know about! Nine rules to follow to outperform the market!

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Motley Fool issues rare triple buy! This stock could be like owning Amazon at $18! This is the stock investment brokers don’t want you to know about! Nine rules to follow to outperform the market!
I fell for that ONCE. They talked about this shit and I am like. Okay, sounds good. What is the fucking company? An hour later they're still cliffhangering it and I realized my mistake. I guess it gets a lot of people to actually buy their shit tho.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Marketwatch used to be semi decent for news and then they went all "you must pay to read this article shit". Fuck em. I still use them for looking up company financials because I like how they lay the page out but for articles, I dont bother.

If you use Fidelity, you can set up the news feed and Its pretty solid for incoming news and its free. Also you can see all the news/links put together in a single place by company. Also you are getting a feed so it isnt limited to a single site.

1610284705199.png

1610284769676.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Most good brokers provide access to news/analysis services and are usually going to be the best option.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
^^ Blazin is correct here ^^

Most of my trader circles also pay up for Benzinga Pro, which has had some news before my broker services (Think or Swim and Lightspeed).

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So with the latest goings on with the banning spree of FB, TWTR, GOOG etc I am thinking of moving off of QQQ and going to XLK. Financially, it's not as a high of a return ETF as QQQ and it's weighting at the top is really heavy into AAPL and MSFT, but it allows me to avoid the Communication sector stocks that are low on my happy list. I need to weigh my quest for alpha with my personal disgust for those companies.
Some research later, FTEC (Fidelity's tech sector ETF) uses a different index to mirror (MSCI USA IMI Information Technology 25/50 Index) than the XLK. It has a much larger basket of holdings and includes a lot of smaller tech companies. It has a smaller net expense, a slightly lower exposure to the big 5 at the top (AAPL, MSFT, V, NVDA and MA) and outperformed the XLK over the last year buy about 3.5%. Neither the XLK or the FTEC have enough liquidity in the options market to trade them week in and week out, but FTEC may be my go-to as a portfolio long term hold for the tech space. QQQ still outperforms FTEC by about 2-3% due mainly to the QQQ having big chunks of GOOG, GOOGL and FB. But of course my objective is to eliminate them from my portfolio.

1610290944740.png

1610291211441.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A dealer never partakes in his stash. I sell premium I don't buy it.

Having said that it's not a horrible way to give up some alpha for downside protection.
I can't find a model that makes sense (to me) to use this spread. The best I found was writing the QQQ $303 (1/15 expiry) for 67 cents and buying the $295 for 41 cents. That is writing a 5% drop and buying a 7.5% drop for protection. The worse case scenario has it closing at $295.01 and the insurance expiring worthless. The net result is a paper loss of $7.73 a share. Alternative, you just write the 50 DMA at $298 for 49 cent premium. Since the crash QQQ has only broken the 50 DMA twice. Using the same scenario above and the QQQ breaks down to $295.01, the net paper loss this way is $2.50. For the spread to breakeven (loss of $2.50) with the 50 DMA write, QQQ would need to crash to $289.78 on Friday. That is a 9.17% loss from Friday's close. The above assume assignment and not getting lucky buying/selling the options at the 11th hour on Friday.

Did I miss something on my math?