Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I started tracking our annual net worth (investable accounts only) back in 2014 after discovering MMM and the FIRE movement. In 2018 I started tracking it monthly. We also made about $60-70k combined household income in the early days (I'll also note that we carried over some money we put into Roth IRA's and my wife's 401k in the 2000's), although we're up to about $180k income as of the March 2020.

Y axis removed for obvious reasons.

View attachment 326485

You should have started tracking earlier! Love data, and thanks for sharing. This is mine for the last 20 yrs can certainly see the market tracking between the two of us.

Capture.JPG

To me tracking and getting into the data is an important part of FIRE. It motivates and centers me on goals. That March dip is a lot more fun to look at in the rear view mirror but it also puts into perspective what even a 40% decline in markets meant to my overall net worth. Long term charts like this show the danger of not participating. People have been calling the market over valued since 2013 and I think the chart above speaks for itself on what their advise was worth.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just got done linking an article talking about NBAC and it turns out they also have a deal with NGA who I brought up this morning as well.

NGA could be the next PLUG at this rate.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lucid moters deal with CCIV rumor, CCIV circuit breaker trips at +28%

1610388504496.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You should have started tracking earlier! Love data, and thanks for sharing. This is mine for the last 20 yrs can certainly see the market tracking between the two of us.

View attachment 328434

To me tracking and getting into the data is an important part of FIRE. It motivates and centers me on goals. That March dip is a lot more fun to look at in the rear view mirror but it also puts into perspective what even a 40% decline in markets meant to my overall net worth. Long term charts like this show the danger of not participating. People have been calling the market over valued since 2013 and I think the chart above speaks for itself on what their advise was worth.
I thought all the experts said we wouldn't see a v-shaped recovery?

1610388849343.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I thought all the experts said we wouldn't see a v-shaped recovery?
Are there really any experts in forecasting financial markets? It's one of those areas where the top voices are just those least recently disgraced.

(Obviously there are plenty of people with good strategies about how to conduct yourself NOW, but forecasting is pretty clearly bullshit. I say this as a guy with an Econ B.S. and MBA from MIT.)

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lucid moters deal with CCIV rumor, CCIV circuit breaker trips at +28%

View attachment 328440
Lol, everyone quoting a Bloomberg article as the rumor but no one can find the article. Welcome to penny stock manipulation in the new age. Pump and dump ftw.

Here you go. Two lots totaling almost 600k shares at $10.03 before the "rumor" and then a 768k sale right after the rumor hit...

1610389545959.png

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Too bad I had common instead of warrants

View attachment 328444

I just bought my shares like 2 or 3 days ago. I always cruise for quality SPAC founders with SPACs down around offering price. I saw CCIV and grabbed a few hundred shares to squat on. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

edit: back up around +20%

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The argument of the economist is that they weren't wrong, the rich have a V recover and the poor have not put their graphs together and it makes a K recovery.
Ahhh. We had a different economist joke. Why are there no one-armed economist? Well because of X. But on the other hand...

Captain Suave

Ooh, are we doing economist jokes?

A British man is a hot air ballooning enthusiast. One breezy English afternoon, he decides to go for a ride with a friend. He's having a great time, until a small storm pops up and blows him off course. Not knowing where he is, he sees a man walking the hedge rows and lowers the balloon to shout at him.

"HELLO, DOWN THERE!! CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE WE ARE??"

The man on the ground looks up, squints, and yells back, "YES! YOU'RE IN A BALLOON!" and quickly walks off.

The balloonist turns to his friend and says, "That man must be an economist."

"Why?"

"Because what he said was both totally accurate and completely useless."

• 1Worf

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but tried googling and could only come up with something not relevant.

If I have the choice of dropping payroll biweekly over the full year into an HSA or just dumping the full amount into it all at once, assuming it hits the max allowable contributions either way, is there a reason not to do the latter?

My thought was that if its setup so that I only keep a small portion (next to zero medical bills really) and the rest goes directly into investments, having 12 months of +7k would net a larger benefit than it sitting in my savings account at some garbage interest rate, unless the options I have it in tank.

All the results in google just say to max it out before putting it into a 401k/ira/whatever instead of when within the year to max it out.

Captain Suave

As long as you're maxing your tax-deductible contributions to HSA/401k it probably doesn't matter a lot either way. I don't think the power of front-weighting investments over an annual period is going to matter much relative to the tax deduction, espeically given that in equilibrium you'd have just taken a lump hit to your cash flow for having done the contribution in bulk and the end of the previous period. By spreading everything evenly through the year you can hedge against market volatility (in the lump version you'd potentially lose the benefit of good market performance during your HSA contribution dump).

tldr; Do whatever makes you feel best about your cash flow managment.

• 1Like