Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Trailing stop loss orders are your friend, especially on highly volatile stuff like SPACs.
Yeah, I’ve just dumped myself out of stuff before just because it had one bad day then went right back to normal. I’m convinced they do that just to dump people with trailing stops out.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yeah, I’ve just dumped myself out of stuff before just because it had one bad day then went right back to normal. I’m convinced they do that just to dump people with trailing stops out.
PLTR shook me off at $19.50 first time i tried the stop loss order. It was right back to its meteoric rise the next day.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
PLTR shook me off at $19.50 first time i tried the stop loss order. It was right back to its meteoric rise the next day.
Exactly. CAT dumped me out and I held that one for a while and didn’t really want to get rid of it. I only put it in place to protect from another March crash but the market is so damn volatile now that 10% up or down in a day is just normal now.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Stop loss orders have their pluses and minuses, and it depends on what % you put your loss at. If you want to get stopped out less, put a larger stop loss % in. The flip side though is when the stock does go down you sell for less profit in the end. If it's a high volatility stock your need to put your %'s higher.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is a lot who subscribe to that idea. Who the mysterious "they" is though is always up to debate. Reality is that equities like SPACs have an insanely high volatility and beta. This is where those large intra-day swings come from. You wont see 3-5% daily swings in low Beta stocks like T and KO for example. Those large swings are coming from day traders moving in and out of the stock in short timeframes. You can see when a big position moves out and causes a sever downturn because there arent enough bids to eat up that big position. If you look at Time & Sales on these SPACs, its just insanely large numbers of 100 - 1000 share blocks moving in and out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Stop loss orders have their pluses and minuses, and it depends on what % you put your loss at. If you want to get stopped out less, put a larger stop loss % in. The flip side though is when the stock does go down you sell for less profit in the end. If it's a high volatility stock your need to put your %'s higher.
Yeah learned that from my CAT. It was 10%. It had 2-3 bad days, dumped me out then went up ever since. I still made quite a bit on it but I was trying to protect from a crash not 2 bad trading days. I’ll probably go with 15% in the future. Really sucks to lose that much profit but it’s just the crashes I’m worried about, especially since we all know we’re on a big bubble right now.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Another thing to consider is the technical aspects of the stocks. Where are the support levels? are you being shaken off above the support levels?

If you own AAPL and its at $135. Over the course of a week it drops 15% to $115 and you get stopped out. However, if the 200 DMA and intermediate support level are both at $110 then it is highly likely to bounce off that support level and start moving back up. This is why setting your stops should involve looking at technical levels to have an idea where the floor of support is.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
INTC over $62. SMH.

edit: not for much longer...
edit 2: down 2.75% and dropping. Some analyst actually writing they "exceeded all expectations". Umm no.

BRIEF-Intel Corp Reports Fourth Quarter Earnings Per Share Of $1.42
REUTERS 4:08 PM ET 1/21/2021
Symbol Last Price Change
INTC 62.46down +3.79 (+6.4599%)
QUOTES AS OF 04:00:00 PM ET 01/21/2021
Jan 21 (Reuters) - Intel Corp(INTC):

* FOURTH-QUARTER EARNINGS PER SHARE (EPS) OF $1.42 AND $1.52 ON A NON-GAAP BASIS

* ANNOUNCES FIVE PERCENT INCREASE TO QUARTERLY CASH DIVIDEND

* FOURTH-QUARTER REVENUE WAS $20.0 BILLION, DOWN 1 PERCENT YEAR-OVER-YEAR

* QTRLY CCG REVENUE OF $10.9 BILLION UP 9%

* QTRLY DCG REVENUE OF $6.1 BILLION DOWN 16%

* SEES Q1 2021 OPERATING MARGIN OF ABOUT 27%

* SEES Q1 2021 ADJUSTED. OPERATING MARGIN OF ABOUT 30%

* Q4 EARNINGS PER SHARE VIEW $1.10, REVENUE VIEW $17.50 BILLION -- REFINITIV IBES DATA

* Q1 EARNINGS PER SHARE VIEW $0.93, REVENUE VIEW $16.06 BILLION -- REFINITIV IBES DATA Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
INTC over $62. SMH.

edit: not for much longer...
edit 2: down 2.75% and dropping. Some analyst actually writing they "exceeded all expectations". Umm no.

BRIEF-Intel Corp Reports Fourth Quarter Earnings Per Share Of $1.42
REUTERS 4:08 PM ET 1/21/2021
Symbol Last Price Change
INTC 62.46down +3.79 (+6.4599%)
QUOTES AS OF 04:00:00 PM ET 01/21/2021
Jan 21 (Reuters) - Intel Corp(INTC):

* FOURTH-QUARTER EARNINGS PER SHARE (EPS) OF $1.42 AND $1.52 ON A NON-GAAP BASIS

* ANNOUNCES FIVE PERCENT INCREASE TO QUARTERLY CASH DIVIDEND

* FOURTH-QUARTER REVENUE WAS $20.0 BILLION, DOWN 1 PERCENT YEAR-OVER-YEAR

* QTRLY CCG REVENUE OF $10.9 BILLION UP 9%

* SEES Q1 2021 OPERATING MARGIN OF ABOUT 27%

* SEES Q1 2021 ADJUSTED. OPERATING MARGIN OF ABOUT 30%

* Q4 EARNINGS PER SHARE VIEW $1.10, REVENUE VIEW $17.50 BILLION -- REFINITIV IBES DATA

* Q1 EARNINGS PER SHARE VIEW $0.93, REVENUE VIEW $16.06 BILLION -- REFINITIV IBES DATA Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
Oh im sure once their Samsung deal is officially announced retards will be all over it.

"Spectacular forward thinking move that solidly shifts the goal posts into Intel's favor!"

No one wants to accept AMD is eating Intel's lunch every quarter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh im sure once their Samsung deal is officially announced retards will be all over it.

"Spectacular forward thinking move that solidly shifts the goal posts into Intel's favor!"

But they raised their dividend 5%

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

What? Intel has like 10x AMDs revenue.

Intel is failing fantastically at everything but AMD isn’t eating their lunch every quarter...yet.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
What? Intel has like 10x AMDs revenue.

Intel is failing fantastically at everything but AMD isn’t eating their lunch every quarter...yet.
Their lunch, of course they are. Intel's margins for data center which is their bread and butter have consistently sunk quarter after quarter for a while now. And now with no 7nm to 2023, well soon its going to be their dinner. I dont want to think what their numbers would be if corona hadnt caused everyone to go out and buy every laptop on the shelf last year.

1611271244963.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Their lunch, of course they are. Intel's margins for their bread and butter(data center) have consistently sunk quarter after quarter for a while now. And now with no 7nm to 2023, well soon its going to be their dinner. I dont want to think what their numbers would be if corona hadnt caused everyone to go out and buy every laptop on the shelf last year.

View attachment 330304
I’m not sure what you’re trying to show with that visual, price per share? Look at Intels P/E vs. AMD. AMD is doing great things but they are still tiny compared to Intel.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Trailing stop loss orders are your friend, especially on highly volatile stuff like SPACs.
My biggest opportunity loss in 2020 was from a 10% trailing loss i had set on Tesla. By the time i found out and tried to buy back in that shit was off to the horses races

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I’m not sure what you’re trying to show with that visual, price per share? Look at Intels P/E vs. AMD. AMD is doing great things but they are still tiny compared to Intel.
This is where their lunch is being eaten;
Third-quarter revenue of $18.3 billion was above July expectations, down 4 percent year-over-year (YoY). Data-centric revenue* declined 10 percent while PC-centric revenue was better than expected, up 1 percent YoY.

And AMD isnt exactly tiny compared to Intel anymore. 110b v 255b in market cap.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This is where their lunch is being eaten;

And AMD isnt exactly tiny compared to Intel anymore. 110b v 255b in market cap.

Umm you do know that's market cap? The two are not even comparable in actual size. INTC TTM rev is $78B AMD TTM Rev is $8.6B. Just looking at physical assets INTC is $60B while AMD is $800M . Can't believe you are actually arguing this.

AMD is growing faster , but even at current growth rate it will not overtake INTC in a very very long time. They aren't even more profitable, INTC gross margin is 56.5% while AMD's is only 44.47%

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users