Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So if we did think this was going to pop the bubble and send the market spiraling, what's the best way to take advantage of that?

I have some -1x inverse etfs already. I'm not savvy at all though (if you couldn't tell). Buy more -1x inverse etfs? I don't really want to mess with the -2 or -3.
Start shorting. EVERYTHING!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Start shorting. EVERYTHING!
See, you assume I'll know you're joking. But as far as I know you're being serious. Lucky for me I don't really know how to short anything anyway. If you can't do it on Robinhood I can't do it

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
See, you assume I'll know you're joking. But as far as I know you're being serious. Lucky for me I don't really know how to short anything anyway. If you can't do it on Robinhood I can't do it

You're talking your retirement accounts?

do you max your personal and professional 401k every year?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're talking your retirement accounts?

do you max your personal and professional 401k every year?
Nah, Im saying if you could look into the future today and see that this Friday (day after tomorrow) was going to end up being Black Friday and the market was going to crash... What would you do?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Nah, Im saying if you could look into the future today and see that this Friday (day after tomorrow) was going to end up being Black Friday and the market was going to crash... What would you do?

oh i'm not the guy to answer this - i'd put all my shit into cash, but that's def wrong

My guess though, if you knew for a fact you'd short the fuck out of total market etfs. Probably more efficient ways to become a billionaire if you had that sort of perfect knowledge though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Looking forward to trying to buy more AMC tomorrow and being met with a "We're sorry, the system is currently re-calibrating" error message.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, please don't do that. If you were really confident the market was about the collapse that'd be the play. But...just don't.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
So the day is winding down. Post your actual (non-paper) realized gains/losses from AMC/GME. Its dick measuring time.

AMC - 100 shares in at $7.60 and out at $15.50. Gain of $790 for about 30 market minutes.
AMC 10 calls in at 1.43, 200 shares in at 6.5 sold at various times for a total profit of 10k

Edit I bought 2 more calls before 2 for standard closing bell run up I closed for an $800 gain

Screenshot_20210127-222214_kindlephoto-398071142.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i spent a month buying and swing trading BTC and I talk to my brother about it all the time, he has owned a bunch for years and is very bullish on it. so bullish in fact, he bet me $500 this morning that BTC will hit 100K this year

here's my impression after spending a month dicking around on the investment side of it.

if you want to buy bitcoin this is as good time as any. i think $30k is the new floor, it might dip into the 20s a few more times but it will quickly climb back to the 30s. having said that, 40k is also the new ceiling. it needs another major event specifically favorable to BTC to break past that, i dont think the biden presidency is that event. i dont know what it will be, or if it will be soon. i'm talking the type of event where a major retailer like amazon or walmart will let you buy product with BTC, or either one of them holding cash reserves in BTC.

swing trading it is pricey but its predictable, right now it seesaws from 38k to 32k back and forth fairly regularly. but depends on whom you use as a broker/exchange, you have to pay for every buy and every sell transaction. i was trading through coinbase and racked up $500 in fees, but walked away with $2500 profit. there is probably cheaper options. but swing trading it works. if you can reduce costs its even better.

my 2 biggest gripes with BTC is that it basically stays stagnant for 50 out of 52 weeks of the year, and then theres 2 weeks where it might shoot up dramatically. its kind of boomer investing. and the lost opportunity cost is massive. my other gripe is that to see a 3x gain from the current price, you'd need BTC at 100K. Now some are saying BTC will go to 250K, 500K or 1M. if you assume that at some point in the future, BTC will actually reach 1M/coin, thats still only a 33x gain from its current price. even on the most ambitious, optimistic and crazy prediction, you're looking at 33x max gain in its entire lifespan. thats it. However, i dont believe it will even hit 100K this year, so at best you're looking at sub 3x gain for 2021.

having said that, i pulled all my money out of BTC in the past week and couldn't be happier.

Right now i'm ~40-50% up this month alone trading stocks. i take profits and roll them right back into bigger investments. BTC is a solid hedge strategy, but you wont make much money on it this year. you'll make way more money in stocks for the foreseeable few months.

Good points. I think you're right about what the BTC ceiling is right now and that it'll exceed that, but not this year. I'm thinking I'll drop some funds on it as a long-term investment, leave that alone, and see what happens with it over time. Meanwhile, try doing some swing trading of BTC with other funds and see if I can make that profitable (as this is mainly for fun, anything that isn't a loss would be a win at first). As I make more from swing trading, I can reinvest that onto the long-term account.

I've flipped a fair amount of things in the "real world" over time by buying low and selling high and not many things give you that kind of rush. It started when I was a teenager playing EQ in like 2002. Decided to switch from rogue to monk, and wanted to twink up the monk. So I sold everything the rogue had, which wasn't much, and added it to my plat reserves to end up with a grand total of...8000 plat. Started teaching myself how to buy low and sell high, and learned how to pay attention to market fluctuations, which items were in demand, which items were going up in value, which ones were stagnant and piling up, etc. Bought whatever high-demand items I could with my 8K, when I noticed things being listed for well below the usual price, and flipped them all to end up with...more than 8K. Did this for a few days and had several times that, which enabled me to twink up the monk with some gear and still have a bit left. Thing was, I'd had so much fun that I kept doing the bazaar trading, and within a year I'd gone from 8K to over a million plat (back then, that was still a gigantic amount). Almost exclusively from "day trading" with items. I was set on plat for years. More importantly, it got me interested in flipping things in the real world and investing.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fuck market watch to learn trading play EQ

For real though, what it did was pique my interest and give me an understanding of the basic fundamentals. It also held my interest, which I doubt any actual finance class could have as a teenager.

Course, now I'm studying up on whatever I can get.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
AMC 10 calls in at 1.43, 200 shares in at 6.5 sold at various times for a total profit of 10k
Saw a post from a guy who had 25k shares of AMC for $60k in. Sold them earlier in January when it doubled.

That's a half million in potential profits had he sold at the top today.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This shit just made me laugh pretty hard. So funny young star trek nerds are in charge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Saw a post from a guy who had 25k shares of AMC for $60k in. Sold them earlier in January when it doubled.

That's a half million in potential profits had he sold at the top today.
I had 1,000 more shares I sold at 6 in like march because I bought them at 2...

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The guy that I posted a few videos and others talking about the short that also does right to repair made a video today about some of the media calling the wall street bets deal a "hack" and how many people will literally see it as a true hack, oh noes they hacked the exchanges and investment companies and changed the stock price. Also went off on how non tech savy the politicians are. It's coming. The spin machine is working over time to spin multiple ways this was not the brokerage firms and investment firms fault.

I love Louis. He makes good rant video's and good board repair video's if you are into that.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
More media assassination of *rolls dice* traders.

Now they’re going to spin that people who trade stocks = Trump = bad = these people are okay to regulate / trample, racist plebs making money is bad.

• 1Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So if we did think this was going to pop the bubble and send the market spiraling, what's the best way to take advantage of that?

I have some -1x inverse etfs already. I'm not savvy at all though (if you couldn't tell). Buy more -1x inverse etfs? I don't really want to mess with the -2 or -3.

What are these magical -3x ETFs???