Investing General Discussion

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
For the newer people be sure to check your tax implications.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
NKLA is an example of something negative. A vaporware company being brought to market and sold as the next innovator of EV, simply to pump its stock price for a quick dump.

This is a problem. It's absolutely a negative. And its basically the sole purpose of SPACs because otherwise these companies would find normal investing and IPO opportunities. Just because some people made money on it doesn't mean SPACs are good investment vehicles.

I made a ton of money on AMC betting on a trend. That doesn't make looking for short squeezes a good investment idea.
But you were referencing the behavior of people in this thread as a negative and used NKLA as an example. Just three posts ago you called everyone "weird". It seems to me that people taking advantage of the current situation to maximize gains is the opposite of "weird".

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For all the people trading individual stocks, you want to set a PPM, personal profit margin. Say you want to make 10% on every trade, once a stock hits 10% you sell, no questions. Never deviate from your plan. You can always buy back in if it dips, otherwise you take your profit to a new trade to make another 10%. No one can tell you when to buy/sell in the end. Your other choice is to use trailer stop losses. But same thing, stick to a plan with stop losses. Unless you're Hateyou
At least I made enough to actually have tendies that night!

I want to make 50% on every trade but so far it’s not working out.

Seriously though, I generally do 15-35%. if it’s under 15 for months and not something I want long term I’ll sell it just to move to something else. I used to just hold and never sell at a loss but sitting on xom and intc for a while in the red I sold them and moved to SLYV and those are up 50% in five months. It was actually kind of a good feeling to just stop looking at the red every day and I’m glad I did it. They’d be the same/lower than when I got out from under them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All SPACs are dubious at best. They are backdoor channels used to get questionable companies an IPO for a quick buck. The blind optimism surrounding them here is... kind of weird actually.

For every 1 Lucid there are 10 NKLAs
Have you noticed that everyone here just rides the short pattern of the money making part of the stock? No one here is advising holding these or that it’s a good business model, we’re just using the fairly predictable pattern to make short term money. While the pattern remains predictable, why not make money from it? Eventually it won’t be predictable anymore and everyone will move on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
ZOM up 25% as of right now. Doubled my money in 2 days. Keep going.:emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket::emoji_rocket:

• 2Like

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
For the newer people be sure to check your tax implications.

That reminds me. Has anyone dug into the PFIC issue with taxation on SPACs? I don't buy any non US SPACs in my taxable accounts, it was too confusing for me to want to risk having to deal with any of that mess.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Speaking of spac's i saw that Simon Property Group is launching a $300M one (spgs I think) that was filed 1/29, going to try to get on that train as soon as it launches, as they are typically associated with high end malls etc, so whatever they end up targetting will be a brand that people recognize which should add a little fuel to the rumor burn when it happens.

How long does it typically take from "filed" to where you can purchase the security on fidelity or whatever, anyone know?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of spac's i saw that Simon Property Group is launching a $300M one (spgs I think) that was filed 1/29, going to try to get on that train as soon as it launches, as they are typically associated with high end malls etc, so whatever they end up targetting will be a brand that people recognize which should add a little fuel to the rumor burn when it happens.

How long does it typically take from "filed" to where you can purchase the security on fidelity or whatever, anyone know?
They’re associated with the dumpy dangerous malls too, at least in Indiana. Not saying don’t buy it, just some info.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Just got an email from Robinhood stating FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, they’ll 5 percent match up to $150 any deposits you make. So if you deposit 3 grand you get a free $150.

Looks like someone lost a lot of accounts.

• 6Worf
  • 5Like
Reactions: 10 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Just got an email from Robinhood stating FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, they’ll 5 percent match up to $150 any deposits you make. So if you deposit 3 grand you get a free $150.

Would really love to see their daily (weekly) withdrawal amounts compared to average

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Yeah, I jettisoned those fucks, taking some time to get used to Fidelity's layout/UI.

• 2Like

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
They’re associated with the dumpy dangerous malls too, at least in Indiana. Not saying don’t buy it, just some info.
Not that it matters too much because what i'm looking at buying is a the spac they are launching and their brand exposure is what matters not necessarily that, but they spun off most of their dumps ~5-6 years ago. With the exception of some Indiana one's because that's where they are from, but once you get outside of indiana their retail property portfolio is substantially higher end than most all their competitors in the space.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i live in whats probably the capital of luxury malls (Los Angeles area) and I see about as much future for them as I do for movie theaters

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Left RH today. Needed to wait for xfer to new brokerage. I'll miss that UI but fuck them.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think we are in the phase right now where every dip of the QQQ gets bought up... until it doesnt. Very reminiscent of 2017/2018.