Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I lost my job due to covid. I had a good job working at ocean spray, but now im on unemployment and i want to invest a couple thousand dollars. Im not worried about losing the money perse, I just want to start investing and see where it takes me.

I just made a WeBull account.
Buy some OTM call options on nearly bankrupt companies and diamond hands that shit. 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Warrants allow you to play the SPAC on the cheap. They also can allow for arbitrage plays. Like shares, the intention is not to keep the warrants.

If the floor on a SPAC is $10 the floor on the warrant is $11.50 in general so the stock has to be trading at $11.50 for the warrant to have intrinsic value. So lets say you see a SPAC share rise to $15 and you see the warrant selling for $2. Technically an arbitrage condition exists because the intrinsic value of the warrant is $3.5 ($15 - $11.5 = $3.5) and it is selling for $2. The risk is that the warrant can't be exchanged until its called for. So the stock price might drop in that time. Some people play warrants exclusively looking for arbitrage openings hoping that they close up and they can sell and capture the arbitrage as a gain. So when you so CCIV selling for $16.16, its implying a stock price of (16.16 + 11.50 = $27.66) $27.66 so if you are sure the value of the stock is going to stay above $30 then this is a profitable arbitrage scenario as you would buy the warrant for $16.16 and then pay $11.50 to convert to a share. Thus you spend $27.66 for a share worth $30. The risk is... The share price drops before the warrant is called.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I lost my job due to covid. I had a good job working at ocean spray, but now im on unemployment and i want to invest a couple thousand dollars. Im not worried about losing the money perse, I just want to start investing and see where it takes me.

Just follow this thread and as people post about what they’re getting into ask about it or just follow suit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I am not your financial advisor or family member, but unless you live at home and have zero bills don't put a single dollar into an investment account. Put it in the bank or under a pillow. I don't know your situation, but if you think you might need that cash in 6 months or less, it shouldn't be in an investment.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Buy some OTM call options on nearly bankrupt companies and diamond hands that shit. 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀
lol thanks, I wish i knew what that meant. out of the money, extrinsic value, Im too green for that I think.

Right now im just examining the general data points when it comes to analyzing stocks. Quantative and Qualitative approaches etc. Maybe im out of my mind, but Im still going to fucking try.

Jozu

Im basically fucked every which way I can be. I own a nice car but have a 400 $ a month payment. I have worked my entire life but this virus situation has kind of made things strange.

Im not worried about failing, no risk no reward.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Im basically fucked every which way I can be. I own a nice car but have a 400 $ a month payment. I have worked my entire life but this virus situation has kind of made things strange.

I don’t think investing is a good idea at all when you don’t have steady income. Not having a job you will need money in the short term and actual
investing is long term. If you’re trying to day trade to make money that isn’t really investing and that’s even riskier. Just hold out until you get income then start. I know it sucks but wait until you get out of your situation first.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I'm not saying this to sound like a dick, but your post reads like you are out of work and read about the GME/AMC/Dogecoin millionaires and think it can work out for you.

You probably don't want to hear it, but investing is probably the worst thing you can do. Your odds are probably better putting it red/black on a roulette wheel. I say this because your lack of skill and knowledge won't hurt you there.

If you had Blazin's background and experience I might feel different (but probably not). This isnt the place for your cash. Hold on to it until you get back on your feet.

That is my honest advice. If you choose not to heed it then try to front run the next fomo /wsb and hope you get lucky and be the first one out the door.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Thanks man!

You literally described exactly what I thought lol.

Although to be fair to myself I have been thinking about it for a long time. I made 74k last year, and have about 18k in a IRA.

I just wanted to try and invest 1k and try it. Honestly I have spent 1k on much much worse shit. I have been super depressed about losing my job. I have a degree in fine art/graphic design and have always been very good artist. I would love to start that career but Im not a business man and dont know how to market my work. (my whole adult life was running high pressure boilers, kind of like homer simpson but non nuclear)

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe go to school for business/marketing, or find a partner/platform to help get you started

Jozu

Yeah. Im looking at a couple different platforms. Etsy maybe. I just need to produce work and the rest takes care of itself. I just havent wanted to create as I have been so depressed. But the time to create is now, during this fucking virus. Im almost done with my first "masterpiece". Been working on it for 6 years now, (on and off, could of finished it years ago). I have a really great working method for creating unique pieces. (involved using magazines)

But Im going to invest either way. If i lose my 1k I lose it. I just want to see how it all works for when I do get serious i will have some experience at least.

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. Im looking at a couple different platforms. Etsy maybe. I just need to produce work and the rest takes care of itself. I just havent wanted to create as I have been so depressed. But the time to create is now, during this fucking virus. Im almost done with my first "masterpiece". Been working on it for 6 years now, (on and off, could of finished it years ago). I have a really great working method for creating unique pieces. (involved using magazines)

But Im going to invest either way. If i lose my 1k I lose it. I just want to see how it all works for when I do get serious i will have some experience at least.

You can go as low as $50-200 bucks if you really want something to do, but keep the losses to an absolute minimum.

The way I look at it is, if you can't be successful with a small amount, how are you going to be successful with a larger portfolio? I've started on this same principle and keep adding as I feel comfortable. I also am not out of work, though, so even if the money is gone I won't be SOL.

My 2 cents as a fellow new trader looking to learn.

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm

If you are truly green. I would spend a few months paper trading to learn the ropes. I believe Webull has paper trading. I would learn ABCD chart pattern trading first. It is easy to learn and recognize and can hone the skill paper trading.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don't listen to these idiots.

Yolo to Valhalla brother.

• 6Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Invest in yourself. If you’re actually a good artist, put that $1000 into materials or joining diff orgs that can let you meet people.

Paint shit, put it in restaurants, build shit, throw it in your yard, do whatever you can to get exposure.

If you’re depressed this will be near impossible. So snap out of it, move against everything within yourself that says do nothing and masturbate. Do what you’re good at and show it off. Sell it. Make money. Rinse/repeat.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

What state are you in? If you made 74k last year and lost your job due to Corvid, you should be getting at least 25k per year in unemployment plus you would most likely qualify for a few hundred a month in Food Stamps.

This is a paid vacation for you, is it not?

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can start with small amounts like 200$. I did. It is a little more challenging since some things are simply beyond your price point, but you can still do well. The biggest fail i made early on was dreaming too big. 11% doesnt seem like much with 200$ since its only 22$. But remember it was 11%! Just be patient as you roll up.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What state are you in? If you made 74k last year and lost your job due to Corvid, you should be getting at least 25k per year in unemployment plus you would most likely qualify for a few hundred a month in Food Stamps.

This is a paid vacation for you, is it not?

Hot take.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Have you tried FVRR? It is a great marketplace for your type of work. And don't remind me that I missed a limit order to buy their stock at $17 by a quarter a few years ago. Man that still stings.