Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just post percent because people get weird about money. I don’t want to make someone with $2k to their name feel like shit or thinking I’m bragging. I know I have a lot less than several of you though so stop bragging and making me feel like shit!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I won't ever have another 100%+ year as long as I live. I posted my returns for every year for the last 20. My highest ever was 260% and I ended the year with about $30,000 in my account that was 18 yrs ago. Usually someone saying they have large gains just tells me they are playing with very little money in total or that it's a small percent of their income and/or NW. Actual dollars matters a hell of a lot more than percentage. In a lot of ways I wished we all posted our dollar returns and stop with silly %'s that could be comparing a stock to an options trade or other things equally as silly, but some degree of insecurity in a group is going to always exist and talking our % returns is safer it allows a guy who bought one share to chime in with someone who bought 10,000 and they did the "same", ignoring one took real risk the other risked maybe tomorrow's lunch money.

I would never take the risk of my net worth to get a triple digit gain on my entire portfolio, if I see a rapid gain in short period most likely to then take less risk for a period which for me is the actual reward of the outsized return. If you want to make 60-100% returns YOY you have to be willing to take the downside risk that goes with that.

Not speaking to you specifically Jysin but people also like to cherry pick what they show. Making 100% on a meme trade in a few weeks is still a far cry from your entire portfolio going up 100% YOY unless that $10k trade was the entire portfolio which if that's the case who gives a shit ? Try to do the same with a million and more, the trade may be the same but your emotions are not and you can never fully escape them. The whole reason we talk about wanting the gains is to amass wealth, well if it's working at some point protecting that wealth becomes the very reason some of those early on behaviors won't be repeated, because you ran the gauntlet and why would risk it rolling the die again knowing how easily it can go wrong. Early on the roll is worth it because next week's paycheck can replace it and I can roll again. Age and wealth level changes that dynamic.

There are some personalities out there though who just thrive on that so they never stop and some of them become very very wealthy because of it. The difference between me and that guy isn't trading acumen it's temperament.
I agree with most of this stuff. I trade pennies compared to most of you here in my fun account, i'm also in a different position in my life it seems as well (younger, raising two very young kids) and obviously everyone's circumstances are different. I figured most are here to just try to learn some stuff & get better, and make what they consider to be some "good money", everyone is different. Making a good trade if you do your DD and research etc is still good if you are buying 10 shares vs 1000, its just the risk that is different and that varies on a bunch of factors. No point in bragging on the internet about gains anyway.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I invested $4k in BTC, got out recently with $8k, and put $1,200 into Robinhood during the meme stonks.

I lost dollars thanks to Robinhood fucking the couch, made it back thanks to Elon's dogecoin, and am now at -$68.

Consider me a lunch money investor. I've recently realized that I need to be maxing my Roth and 401k before I actually put money in the market.

My wife and I set a goal this year to save $50k and we've saved $40k in 9 months. We'll probably keep saving and hit $70k by the year. $8k of that $40k was obviously BTC money. I plan to reinvest in BTC at the next dip.

[edit] I also have $500 in a Betterment account and like $5k in a Vanguard RothIRA. I haven't been a disciplined investor at any time in my life and over the last 3-4 years I've been trying to improve that.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I agree with most of this stuff. I trade pennies compared to most of you here in my account, i'm also in a different position in my life it seems as well (younger, raising two very young kids) and obviously everyone's circumstances are different. I figured most are here to just try to learn some stuff & get better, and make what they consider to be some "good money", everyone is different. Making a good trade if you do your DD and research etc is still good if you are buying 10 shares vs 1000, its just the risk that is different. No point in bragging on the internet about gains anyway.

Wasn't really thinking about it from the view point of bragging but that they make people question their choices which may have been perfectly valid and appropriate maybe even laudable. Someone works hard to mitigate risk build a nest egg up and make sound choices sees a YOLO guy saying how he makes 50% a week it can cause people who where making great choices begin to make bad choices thinking the other guy knows something he doesn't. We aren't in competition here, in fact for me quite the opposite I am unequivocally wanting members here to succeed and do well.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I made 680.43M USD this year. All on Tesla.

• 1To the Moon!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just post percent because people get weird about money. I don’t want to make someone with $2k to their name feel like shit or thinking I’m bragging. I know I have a lot less than several of you though so stop bragging and making me feel like shit!
I feel the exact same way which is why I never posted my dick pic in that post your dick thread. Last thing I wanted was board bros to feel inadequate. ;)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does everyone here use a margin account? I do not at the moment as it goes with my risk adverse thing, figured why not just gamble my own money. I get the concept and all, just wasn't sure what most do. Can you choose to use it on some trades and not others, etc?

Also, I know they charge interest by how exactly does it work? For example if I covered 10 puts instead of 1, am I charged interested from the day the sell is filled? It is annualized?

Example: Option X has strike price of 5$(ignore premium for now), I normally could only afford 1 put as my account is then locked of 500$ balance. But if I use a margin and say but 5 puts(2500$), would that be 2500$ borrowed or 2000$ or can I choose? Let's say the margin rate is 6%, how much interest would I actually owe on the 2000$ as I would obviously need to factor that in to any type of profit calculation....

This website: Margin Rates - Fidelity
Gives an example but it is a little confusing to me. It mentions a 100,000$ debit balance(how much equity/cash I have on hand) would be 6.825% or 18.96 a day, but do I pay that every day no matter what or only if I am using all 100k?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Does everyone here use a margin account? I do not at the moment as it goes with my risk adverse thing, figured why not just gamble my own money. I get the concept and all, just wasn't sure what most do. Can you choose to use it on some trades and not others, etc?

Also, I know they charge interest by how exactly does it work? For example if I covered 10 puts instead of 1, am I charged interested from the day the sell is filled? It is annualized?

Example: Option X has strike price of 5$(ignore premium for now), I normally could only afford 1 put as my account is then locked of 500$ balance. But if I use a margin and say but 5 puts(2500$), would that be 2500$ borrowed or 2000$ or can I choose? Let's say the margin rate is 6%, how much interest would I actually owe on the 2000$ as I would obviously need to factor that in to any type of profit calculation....

Gives an example but it is a little confusing to me. It mentions a 100,000$ debit balance(how much equity/cash I have on hand) would be 6.825% or 18.96 a day, but do I pay that every day no matter what or only if I am using all 100k?
I do not trade on margin. I leave that to others.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Never traded on margin, don’t see a reason to.

Probably the only thing I’d even consider it on is near NAV SPACs.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

If there’s one thing that this last year has taught us, it’s that even ‘safe’ margin plays can blow up spectacularly. Margin is very dangerous in the wrong hands and is the leading cause of wallstreetbets posts along the line of “I lost all my money in 5 minutes and my broker is saying I owe 50,000$”.

if you don’t know how it works, you probably should stay away. If you want to throw some money in the roulette wheel now and then, buy some options.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I won't ever have another 100%+ year as long as I live. I posted my returns for every year for the last 20. My highest ever was 260% and I ended the year with about $30,000 in my account that was 18 yrs ago. Usually someone saying they have large gains just tells me they are playing with very little money in total or that it's a small percent of their income and/or NW. Actual dollars matters a hell of a lot more than percentage. In a lot of ways I wished we all posted our dollar returns and stop with silly %'s that could be comparing a stock to an options trade or other things equally as silly, but some degree of insecurity in a group is going to always exist and talking our % returns is safer it allows a guy who bought one share to chime in with someone who bought 10,000 and they did the "same", ignoring one took real risk the other risked maybe tomorrow's lunch money.

I would never take the risk of my net worth to get a triple digit gain on my entire portfolio, if I see a rapid gain in short period most likely to then take less risk for a period which for me is the actual reward of the outsized return. If you want to make 60-100% returns YOY you have to be willing to take the downside risk that goes with that.

Not speaking to you specifically Jysin but people also like to cherry pick what they show. Making 100% on a meme trade in a few weeks is still a far cry from your entire portfolio going up 100% YOY unless that $10k trade was the entire portfolio which if that's the case who gives a shit ? Try to do the same with a million and more, the trade may be the same but your emotions are not and you can never fully escape them. The whole reason we talk about wanting the gains is to amass wealth, well if it's working at some point protecting that wealth becomes the very reason some of those early on behaviors won't be repeated, because you ran the gauntlet and why would risk it rolling the die again knowing how easily it can go wrong. Early on the roll is worth it because next week's paycheck can replace it and I can roll again. Age and wealth level changes that dynamic.

There are some personalities out there though who just thrive on that so they never stop and some of them become very very wealthy because of it. The difference between me and that guy isn't trading acumen it's temperament.
Nailed it. I started a post saying similar, and with the meme stocks I put in $1k. Had it doubled or tripled, it literally would have made zero difference in my net worth. I think when I put it in, I even said if I had put $10k in it likely wouldn't make a massive difference. It'd be nice, but not worth the downside risk (which in retrospect would've been a 50% loss).

My portfolio swings more than my meme play every single day. Sometimes by an order of magnitude.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure. Only a few people posted their yearly.

Was mainly responding to “you big boys make a ton” but no one really posted higher % gains than he posted.

I only became a active trader around march of last year and so my individual Fidelity account is still shy of a 1 year anniversary so that new cool widget is not showing for me yet. I'll post a screenshot of it when I hit my anniversary date in March. Looking at it, it says "Life of available data 3/17/2020 rate of return is +401.52%". I kind of find that hard to believe, is that line under the performance tab accurate?

Under the summary tab at the top for the individual account it says:

+574.89%
rate of return (Life of Available Data)AS OF 01/31/2021

just to the right of account total and today's gain/loss. Still hard to believe if those numbers are accurate. This account is by far my biggest account, much bigger than my 401k, so no this is not just a tiny bit of play money thrown on options. I went in deep and was active here from jump.

A little was my own knowledge of the travel sector and buying a lot of airlines/cruises when everything went to shit last year. A lot was knowledge and tips off this very board. Some was from reddit, but sadly there is so much noise on reddit now its becoming less useful.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

I've made heavy use of margin. You will get charged interest on a daily basis, but only on what you actually draw on / use. I DONT suggest people get as aggressive has ive been with margin, but it can be a good tool to give you the flexibility to enter positions quickly instead of having to sit on the sidelines while you make deposits or sell something else off, etc.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Everything in my private investments has totally pulled back and I've shed a lot of it already this year. A lot of people and a lot of the industry are waiting for the bottom to fall out. Just into index funds for the most part at the moment. So from income to growth but it will do for now.

Was talking to someone the other day that gets stock options with their employer. I was saying it would be very hard for me to invest in that company other than getting the stock at a discout. It's been up fairly well as of late but I see the downside every time I go there. It's a maintenance disaster waiting to happen, not as bad as Union Carbine in India bad but the thought has crossed my mind.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I completely agree with some flat % returns being a bit silly with the recent shenanigans going on. I have no issue with transparency, as I do think it is important to distinguish what is dumb luck and what is consistency. These are fully active swing and day trades. Never exposed by more than 30-40% cash, no margin, and as short as minutes, never longer than a couple days.

Here are the names I have traded in 2021, so far:
AAPLAPPLE INC COM
BTWNBRIDGETOWN HLDGS LTD COM CL A
CBATCBAK ENERGY TECHNOLOGY INC COM
CCV/UCHURCHILL CAP CORP V UNIT 1 CL A & 1/4 WT EXP
EBONEBANG INTERNATIONAL HLDGS INC COM
FFORD MOTOR CO COM
FCELFUELCELL ENERGY INC COM
FRSXFORESIGHT AUTONOMOUS HLDGS LTD ADR SPONSORED
FTFTFUTURE FINTECH GROUP INC COM
GEGENERAL ELECTRIC CO COM
GSAHGS ACQUISITION HLDGS CORP II COM CL A
IPOFSOCIAL CAP HEDOSOPHIA HLDGS CO COM CL A
JMIAJUMIA TECHNOLOGIES AG ADR SPONSORED
JPMJP MORGAN CHASE & CO COM
LILI AUTO INC ADR
NCLHNORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE HLDGS LT COM
NETCLOUDFLARE INC COM CL A
NOKNOKIA OYJ ADR SPONSORED
OPENOPENDOOR TECHNOLOGIES INC COM
OPKOPKO HEALTH INC COM
RIDELORDSTOWN MOTORS CORP COM CL A
SNDLSUNDIAL GROWERS INC COM
SOLOELECTRAMECCANICA VEHS CORP COM
SONOSONOS INC COM
UAVSAGEAGLE AERIAL SYSTEMS INC COM
VFFVILLAGE FARMS INTE COM
VVPRVIVOPOWER INTERNATIONAL PLC COM
WIMIWIMI HOLOGRAM CLOUD INC ADR
WWRWESTWATER RESOURCES INC COM
XUNITED STATES STEEL CORP COM
XLXL FLEET CORP COM CL A
XPOADPCM CAP INC COM CL A
ZMZOOM VIDEO COMMUNICATIONS INC COM CL A

And here is my daily P&L for the month of Feb, so far:

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 10.53.06.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck me, I sold SNDL way too early yesterday.

2021-02-08 15:31:22SNDL$1.245

There was my entry, sold around 1.60 yesterday. It just tapped $2 premarket this morning.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't really thinking about it from the view point of bragging but that they make people question their choices which may have been perfectly valid and appropriate maybe even laudable. Someone works hard to mitigate risk build a nest egg up and make sound choices sees a YOLO guy saying how he makes 50% a week it can cause people who where making great choices begin to make bad choices thinking the other guy knows something he doesn't. We aren't in competition here, in fact for me quite the opposite I am unequivocally wanting members here to succeed and do well.
I get it. I personally don’t care about the $ value people here have but I know some people who would get discouraged at seeing 5,6,7+ figure accounts. Some would take it as bragging and get turned off, or some would feel embarrassed posting about their 3-4 figure account when they shouldn’t. Was just posting why I don’t post my balance. I’ve also seen personal attacks on this board (not in this thread/section) based on how much people make which I think is pretty shitty.

I have a bunch of poor family and have ran into a lot of “you like to flash your money” bullshit just because we don’t get our cars repoed, or offer to pay for dinner one night. I guess personal experience has turned me off to discussing dollar values outside of a select few people.

Edit: Also Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes has posted his account number in pics about 12 times so once he posts he’s 7+ figures I’m hiring a hacker to empty that shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm up 160%, in my long investing amount, not counting the doubling I got off silver and Tesla and about 4x in crypto?

And that's with all my not TSP money and the money from my house.

In one hand I agree with Blazin Blazin , but I also think being able to crush it aggressively when things are good is a desirable trait. Risk in a bubble vs bear vs sideways are all different, and the rewards are different.

Hell, it's pretty obvious based on who is saying how risk adverse they are. Like in the politics thread, "too much to lose"

Anyway, 2020 prolly won't be the norm. So, grabbing a banner year in gains during a black swan year is great.

If I can break 10% consistently I'll be "ok" with it

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I completely agree with some flat % returns being a bit silly with the recent shenanigans going on. I have no issue with transparency, as I do think it is important to distinguish what is dumb luck and what is consistency. These are fully active swing and day trades. Never exposed by more than 30-40% cash, no margin, and as short as minutes, never longer than a couple days.

Here are the names I have traded in 2021, so far:
AAPLAPPLE INC COM
BTWNBRIDGETOWN HLDGS LTD COM CL A
CBATCBAK ENERGY TECHNOLOGY INC COM
CCV/UCHURCHILL CAP CORP V UNIT 1 CL A & 1/4 WT EXP
EBONEBANG INTERNATIONAL HLDGS INC COM
FFORD MOTOR CO COM
FCELFUELCELL ENERGY INC COM
FRSXFORESIGHT AUTONOMOUS HLDGS LTD ADR SPONSORED
FTFTFUTURE FINTECH GROUP INC COM
GEGENERAL ELECTRIC CO COM
GSAHGS ACQUISITION HLDGS CORP II COM CL A
IPOFSOCIAL CAP HEDOSOPHIA HLDGS CO COM CL A
JMIAJUMIA TECHNOLOGIES AG ADR SPONSORED
JPMJP MORGAN CHASE & CO COM
LILI AUTO INC ADR
NCLHNORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE HLDGS LT COM
NETCLOUDFLARE INC COM CL A
NOKNOKIA OYJ ADR SPONSORED
OPENOPENDOOR TECHNOLOGIES INC COM
OPKOPKO HEALTH INC COM
RIDELORDSTOWN MOTORS CORP COM CL A
SNDLSUNDIAL GROWERS INC COM
SOLOELECTRAMECCANICA VEHS CORP COM
SONOSONOS INC COM
UAVSAGEAGLE AERIAL SYSTEMS INC COM
VFFVILLAGE FARMS INTE COM
VVPRVIVOPOWER INTERNATIONAL PLC COM
WIMIWIMI HOLOGRAM CLOUD INC ADR
WWRWESTWATER RESOURCES INC COM
XUNITED STATES STEEL CORP COM
XLXL FLEET CORP COM CL A
XPOADPCM CAP INC COM CL A
ZMZOOM VIDEO COMMUNICATIONS INC COM CL A

And here is my daily P&L for the month of Feb, so far:

View attachment 334083
That daily view is awesome. I don’t trade actively enough for that to be of any value to me but still pretty cool to see your realized gains and losses on a daily basis like that. I wish brokerages would put more of these cool toys into their platform.

Or maybe fidelity has it and it’s too buried under their 75 links that all lead to 20 more links and I’ve just never seen it.